Cabrera

Greg Pappas

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Why do so many people here think that the Sox are on some high and mighty horse? Because they are good. I don't understand this mentality.

2. You should have a problem with what he did. I wonder how you would feel if Josh Beckett balked in a run and then threw high at Markakis. You would be outraged. We all would be outraged. We would expect the Orioles to start yelling at Beckett and we would expect the benches to empty. Cabrera behaved stupidly and like a punk.

1.I think that is exactly right. They are darlings, of MLB, of the Media. There is a feeling that nothing they do is wrong. And to a certain extent they haven't done anything that they could be called on. But the reaction and quotes from Pedroia were nasty and rude. The reactions from them for the rest of the night were borderline uncalled for. Lowell throwing his bat and almost hitting the ump...if it were another (losing) team there would be video comparing it to a certain Tampa Player.

Perhaps you don't get it if you don't live in this part of the country, and judging from you handle, Im guessing you don't. There is a sense of entitlement up here that boarders on ridiculous. The same sense of entitlement is reflected in the BoSox fans and through their team. Maybe you just don't understand that.

2. You are limiting your hypothetical here so much so that it seems like it would be ridiculous to have the reaction I am having. But if you expand the picture to look at the whole scenario, then you understand. If the Orioles were playing a team, that may be the worst in baseball for the last month, that have been stuggling, that the Orioles had gotten into a bean ball war with recently, and that have an impetuous and hot headed pitcher on the mound, then I would accept the scenario. I would be upset that they threw at Markakis sure. But it is part of baseball, its a part of being human, its a part of losing. What Cabrera did was partially a deterrence and partially hot headedness. I can't agree with the latter, but as for the former - go for it Daniel.

JTrea is a bit too way out there on this for me to "stand with him", but I will continue to back Cabrera.

Obviously, tonight was about frustration boiling over, which I certainly understand as someone who cares about the Orioles.

I don't think he was trying to hurt Pedroia with the pitch, but simply send a message in response to some bench jockey and personal frustration. Years ago, this wouldn't have even qualified as an incident, but baseball moves closer and closer to requiring the players to wear skirts (to paraphrase Whitey Herzog).

The worst part of the whole night to me was hearing Boston fans (again) chanting 'Let's Go Red Sox' while the teams were milling about on the field.

I hope this whole issue was just Daniel being frustrated at the season. If this had anything to do with the balk alone, he has a lot of learning ahead of him. I don't care if you like or hate the BoSox, actually taking Cabrera's side on this matter is just plain wrong. There is no management going on in the O's clubhouse. Trembley is making matters worse by not doing anything. It's not that the O's are losing, they just aren't playing good at all. Maybe it isn't too late for Davey Johnson to comeback & shake things up.

1. Why do so many people here think that the Sox are on some high and mighty horse? Because they are good. I don't understand this mentality.

Perhaps because of the countless arrogant quotes that come from the Red Sox players. Ortiz, Manny, Papelbon all showboating...

When is the last time you saw an O's player hit a homerun and stand and watch it or glare at the pitcher?

Like it or not how he did it, Cabrera stood up to the Red Sox. When was the last time you could say that about an Oriole player? Too long the Orioles have just layed down for the Sox. Crisp embarrassed him with that little league move so he wanted to send a message that you don't do that. I've got to find a picture of him waving on the whole Red Sox dugout. A rivalry is finally born. Classic! :D

For your sake, I really hope this post and others like it by you in this thread aren't serious. I fear they are however. A rivalry? Are you serious?

I agree. Stuff like this is embarrassing. Remember the brawl in NY in 98? That was embarrassing. We were getting our azzes handed to us so the only way we could respond was to start throwing at people and fighting. Same thing applies here. If Cabrera was wild that is one thing. But if he was doing it on purpose it's an embarrassment. The only thing a fight between these 2 teams will do is prove that the O's are sore losers and draw attention to how bad were really are.

I agree. Stuff like this is embarrassing. Remember the brawl in NY in 98? That was embarrassing. We were getting our azzes handed to us so the only way we could respond was to start throwing at people and fighting. Same thing applies here. If Cabrera was wild that is one thing. But if he was doing it on purpose it's an embarrassment. The only thing a fight between these 2 teams will do is prove that the O's are sore losers and draw attention to how bad were really are.

Were the Red Sox embarrassed when Pedro threw at Karim Garcia in the 03 ALCS on purpose because he was mad? There is alot of hypocrisy in baseball.

Roger Clemens because he is a future HOF'er can throw at people and that is OK. When Roger pitched for Toronto the Yankees hated him, then when he becomes a Yankee all is forgiven. What Daniel did is bush league, but let's not make Boston out to be a bunch of saints.

Were the Red Sox embarrassed when Pedro threw at Karim Garcia in the 03 ALCS on purpose because he was mad? There is alot of hypocrisy in baseball.

Roger Clemens because he is a future HOF'er can throw at people and that is OK. When Roger pitched for Toronto the Yankees hated him, then when he becomes a Yankee all is forgiven. What Daniel did is bush league, but let's not make Boston out to be a bunch of saints.

It is never ok for a pitcher to go head hunting, now a good plunking in the hip in retaliation that I can live with. And I don't see where NMS or anyone else is saying the Soxs are saints.

And one more thing about this that is bothering me. If DC's control is so bad that on a FASTBALL he throws it behind a batter head high he needs to be sent back down to AAA. Major league pitchers just don't miss that bad with their fastball by accident.

It is never ok for a pitcher to go head hunting, now a good plunking in the hip in retaliation that I can live with. And I don't see where NMS or anyone else is saying the Soxs are saints.

And one more thing about this that is bothering me. If DC's control is so bad that on a FASTBALL he throws it behind a batter head high he needs to be sent back down to AAA. Major league pitchers just don't miss that bad with their fastball by accident.

DC was throwing at Pedroia, and it was a joke. My point was every team has had players do this type of behavior at some time. I am afraid someone is going to get seriously hurt, I think we have been lucky it hasn't happened yet.

]Perhaps because of the countless arrogant quotes that come from the Red Sox players. [/b] Ortiz' date=' Manny, Papelbon all showboating...

When is the last time you saw an O's player hit a homerun and stand and watch it or glare at the pitcher?[/quote']

Can you provide some of these? I don't follow the Sox close enough, but I can't believe there are all that many arrogant quotes.

Can you provide some of these? I don't follow the Sox close enough, but I can't believe there are all that many arrogant quotes.

Just look at most of the quotes from them pertaining to last night's game. Look at Josh Beckett's quote after the Mother's Day Massacre. Or Pedro Martinez' quote about Karim Garcia not being worthy of getting hit by one of his pitches.

Ortiz and Manny showboat every time they hit a home run. They both should be hit. I cannot stand it when players are allowed to act ignorant and dont play the game the right way. They wouldn't do that to Bob Gibson.

This is one of my favorite quotes ever:

Gibson was known for pitching inside to batters. Dusty Baker received the following advice from Hank Aaron about facing Gibson:

"'Don't dig in against Bob Gibson, he'll knock you down. He'd knock down his own grandmother if she dared to challenge him. Don't stare at him, don't smile at him, don't talk to him. He doesn't like it. If you happen to hit a home run, don't run too slow, don't run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don't charge the mound, because he's a Gold Glove boxer.' I'm like, 'Damn, what about my 17-game hitting streak?' That was the night it ended."

So you would call the Yanks sore losers even though there in first in the wild card race. Joba threw at someones head twice because of frustration and being mad. So a fight betweem the two teams would mean there sore losers. Or when Roger threw at someone and got tossed. No, there just protecting there own players and werent going to give in.

Just because the O's suck this year doesnt mean they should just give in to every game. This isnt just because of the balk, it went back to last series.

So you would call the Yanks sore losers even though there in first in the wild card race. Joba threw at someones head twice because of frustration and being mad. So a fight betweem the two teams would mean there sore losers. Or when Roger threw at someone and got tossed. No, there just protecting there own players and werent going to give in.

Just because the O's suck this year doesnt mean they should just give in to every game. This isnt just because of the balk, it went back to last series.

Did anyone else notice Roberts almost get punked tonight? He didn't look too happy about it either.

Just look at most of the quotes from them pertaining to last night's game. Look at Josh Beckett's quote after the Mother's Day Massacre. Or Pedro Martinez' quote about Karim Garcia not being worthy of getting hit by one of his pitches.

Last night they were correct. Cabrera stinks and he behaved like an idiot. Beckett was correct, though I agree you don't say it publicly, but as soon as Guthrie came out you knew that that lite a fire under them.

Martinez's quote can be thrown out in my mind, that was 5 years ago.

Archived