Adam Jones wins Gold Glove

jerios55

The Fielding Bible has AJ at a +7 runs saved this season as compared with Gutierrez' + 31. By comparison the next behind Gutierrez are Morgan and Granderson at +15. You can quibble about the exactitude of these numbers but the difference between Gutierrez and the rest of the field and especially between him and AJ make a GG for Jones highly problematic IMO. For the record Jones +/-numbers in the ML are 0 in '06, +3 in '07, +11 in '08, and -20 in 09(these numbers aren't runs saved, they are number of plays made above or below average). That doesn't indicate a ML record of excellent defense IMO. By Comparison to Gomez' +/- in '08 of + 29, and Gutierrez' +43 in '09 it pales.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sometimes wish that there was a rule in place that says you have to play a certain number of games to be eligible for the award. This doesn't just stem from the Palmeiro decision in 1999, as that was a rather extreme and rediculous case. But several of the major contenders for the outfield awards in the AL, specifically Adam Jones, Grady Sizemore, Torii Hunter, didn't even play in 120 games this past season.

Yes, that was due to injury, but still, if you miss a lot of time I don't see why you should be seriously considered for the award, unless your defense is truly other-worldly, which very few are. Just one of the reasons the Gold Gloves are in most cases a joke.

And yes I realize that this would mean that Mike Bordick wouldn't have been eligible in 2002 because he missed several games due to injury, even though he absolutely deserved to win that year, but did not.

I'm happy for the kid, but let's face it: The gold glove selection process is widely acknowledged as a joke.

If Jones didn't make the All Star team last year, there's no way he would have won a gold glove.

But he did, and he did, so good for him. Who's the last Baltimore Orioles outfielder to win a gold glove?

Wait a sec... are we believing AJ got a GG? And we're believing that because it says so on myspace? Do I have this right?

And many of the so-called "optimistic" people are the ones complaining. Amazing.

There might be other, more nefarious, reasons why people are always down on Adam Jones here, but I won't get into it. MSK

Its the same reason that too many posters here over-rate Nick Markakis. :rolleyestf:It makes no sense. :confused:They under-rate Jones and over-rate Markakis. I cannot make any sense of it who can?:confused:

Wait a sec... are we believing AJ got a GG? And we're believing that because it says so on myspace? Do I have this right?
Yes, I know. And there was a thread earlier that claimed Jones got the award but wouldn't cite a source. Of course that didn't stop most people from assumimg it was true. Now if it was on Face book.....:rolleyestf:

"It was announced today that Adam Jones was the Gold Glove award winner among AL centerfielders for 2009. In related news, it was announced that last week Rawlings sold its sponsorship of the Gold Glove awards to Bazooka gum."

Do we know what kind he chews?

If he turns out to be a legit star, maybe he'll get his own brand. So far, he's certainly the wholesome type marketing people love.

I just hope he (a) has great success, (b) doesn't let it go to his head, and © decides he wants to stick around.

For each of those three items, my confidence level goes down... but we'll see...

It doesn't necessarily take long. Various people got them quite early in their MLB career...
Yes but Jones has only put up one good year. Of course last years winners were Sizemore +2, Hunter -7, and Ichiro +13 so Jones at + 11 was better than two of them but he was no Carlos Gomez at +29. Go figure.

And many of the so-called "optimistic" people are the ones complaining. Amazing.

There might be other, more nefarious, reasons why people are always down on Adam Jones here, but I won't get into it.

MSK

I can't believe you have less than a thousand posts. (I freely admit that I'm an idiot who has way too many posts.) I would have thought you had way more than a thousand. As I've said before, I think that you're among the board leaders in terms of the Bizarre-thoughts-per-post Ratio. You're not pushy about it, you don't cram it down everybody's throat non-stop, and that's good. But when it comes to the sheer wacko-ness factor, your posts are right up there. I'd say you're definitely Top-5, and maybe higher. What you just did here just cements that impression...

Yes but Jones has only put up one good year. Of course last years winners were Sizemore +2, Hunter -7, and Ichiro +13 so Jones at + 11 was better than two of them but he was no Carlos Gomez at +29. Go figure.

Well, I like the guy and everything. The only second thought I ever even had about him was wondering if going to the AS game gave him just enough of a fat head to screw up his swing. But that's just a thought, I'm 1100 miles away, I don't pretend to know what's going on. Plus, he's still basically a kid.

However, if it turns out that the story about him getting a GG is really true, then I wonder who's actually filling out the ballots. I wonder if some guys give them to the batboy to fill out. I bet Paul Blair will be shaking his head and mumbling to himself. Regardless of this GG stuff, I hope AJ got the memo about what Blair said when asked about whether he thinks AJ needs some work: "If the ball stays in the park, it needs to be caught."

Do we know what percentage of eligible voters actually vote?

I can't believe you have less than a thousand posts. (I freely admit that I'm an idiot who has way too many posts.) I would have thought you had way more than a thousand. As I've said before, I think that you're among the board leaders in terms of the Bizarre-thoughts-per-post Ratio. You're not pushy about it, you don't cram it down everybody's throat non-stop, and that's good. But when it comes to the sheer wacko-ness factor, your posts are right up there. I'd say you're definitely Top-5, and maybe higher. What you just did here just cements that impression...

You just gave me one of the biggest laughs in the history of my time here.

Thanks for that.

But I really don't know why you keep saying that about me. I have written many well-thought out posts that people seem to like. I don't get the "wacky" part.

Oh well.

MSK

Thanks for that.

But I really don't know why you keep saying that about me. I have written many well-thought out posts that people seem to like. I don't get the "wacky" part.

Oh well.

MSK

Why do you call others Optimists???

Nooooo, all this says is that Roch heard the same rumors we have.

Rumors are not fact.

Now watch, come Monday, if he wins the award, SOMEONE's going to come back and say "See, we told you he had won the award!" but in advance, no, you still don't know, because there's nothing offical. It's all just words.

Thanks for that.

Well, I've got nothing against you, so if I can give you a chuckle, that's good I suppose...

Oh well.

MSK

Oh, I don't think everything you say is nuts. Sometimes you say things that make perfect sense to me. It just seems to me that the sensible things you say are matched by a very inordinate number of very bizarro things. That's the part that made me surprised that you don't have way more posts than you do. Even given my view that your posts are often quite high on the bizarro-meter, I would have guessed you had at least 6K or 7K posts. The fact that it's less than a thousand just blows my mind. I don't have any kind of grudge against you, or anything like that. I mainly just find some of the things you say amazing in their bizarreness. Now, this particular one had some unsavory aspects to it, but that's not true of most of them. For most of the bizarre things, I don't find them particularly hateful or unsavory, it's just that I can't imagine how you come up with them, that's all...

Archived