Should we go for another arm, or target a SS?

I say we go pitching, I like the philosophy of loading up the arms in the farm system. Finding pitchers through free agency is a much greater risk than finding a position player. At the 3rd pick in the draft, I do not want us to select someone who can do an average to above average job at his position. We need somebody with superstar potential. If we draft a shortstop and he ends up having to be moved to 2nd or 3rd base, what kind of true value do we get? I do not like the idea of drafting on need for your top pick, we should go best player available which will be most likely a pitcher because of the pitcher heavy draft.

As for the loss of the 2nd round pick, we will just have more money to pick high potential guys like Coffey (22), Arrieta (5), and Beal (14). We have some great scouts, I'm sure this draft will be just as effective as the past couple.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ranaudo would be nice...Taillon, too, even though he's not a college pitcher.

If Harper somehow falls, thats a huge wildcard. It'll be an interesting draft.

Do you think Harper will be signable, should he somehow fall to us?

Renaudo is also my favorite among the college arms. What a great addition to our possible future starting rotation he could be! :clap3:

Renaudo is also my favorite among the college arms. What a great addition to our possible future starting rotation he could be! :clap3:

If Harper didnt sign this year for whoever drafts him... it's very likely that it will cost him very big money. The rules for slotting are likely to change very soon. I can't see him sitting and getting more down the road.

I honestly have no idea if he's signable or not...I'm not THAT much into the draft.

However anyone who takes him must have a good idea that they'll have to pony up some serious bucks to sign him. Similar to Strasburg last year, the Nats knew they were going to have to pay a lot.

I'm not sure if he'll fall or not. It'll be interesting to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry didn't check the date. Some of these threads go on for months. I have a question for some our draft experts. Do you think the o's might go after someone like Sales as bargin pick to keep adding pitching? Are there any high quality left handers that can be had later in the draft?

Sorry didn't check the date. Some of these threads go on for months. I have a question for some our draft experts. Do you think the o's might go after someone like Sales as bargin pick to keep adding pitching? Are there any high quality left handers that can be had later in the draft?

Class is shy on college lefties. BAL could use it's third round pick on a prepster like Biddle or Ziomek both lefties).

Chris Sale (LHP, FGCU) is in top 10 range -- might not be a reach at 3 come June. Right now, I think some of the righties are better bets (Sale may be headed to the pen as a pro if he can't maintain his stuff -- great arm, though).

Both Chris Sale (Florida Gulf Coast) and Drew Pomeranz (Mississippi) appear to headline the lefty crop this year, though there are a number of other quality left-handers that could entice the Birds. James Paxton (Kentucky) is back after failing to sign last year, and he has demonstrated dynamic stuff when he's on, while Sammy Solis (San Diego), Chris Hernandez (Miami) and Bryan Morgado (Tennessee) may threaten the 1st round as well. This is a fairly weak prep class for lefties, but there are those that may be available past Round Two that we'd consider, headlined by Stotle's pair- Ziomek & Biddle.

Both Chris Sale (Florida Gulf Coast) and Drew Pomeranz (Mississippi) appear to headline the lefty crop this year, though there are a number of other quality left-handers that could entice the Birds. James Paxton (Kentucky) is back after failing to sign last year, and he has demonstrated dynamic stuff when he's on, while Sammy Solis (San Diego), Chris Hernandez (Miami) and Bryan Morgado (Tennessee) may threaten the 1st round as well. This is a fairly weak prep class for lefties, but there are those that may be available past Round Two that we'd consider, headlined by Stotle's pair- Ziomek & Biddle.

Good list. I don't think Paxton makes sense at 1:3 unless he's actually back at Kentucky and throwing. The same, I can't see him falling all the way to the third round. Solis is a big wildcard -- I wouldn't consider a 1:3 option but maybe he's still around in the third (if he hasn't improved upon his consistency start-to-start).

Hernandez is the most likely in your list (I think) to be around at 3:3. The others (Morgado/Solis/Paxton/Pomeranz) I think fall below 1:3 but before 3:3. Should all be interesing to watch this spring.

Thanks guys was just looking to see what lh might be available later. I think Tallion is the best bet if available then would probably go with Ranaudo. If Harper falls because of performance I don't believe he would the O's pick. I think the grow the arms philosophy goes into effect then.

Good list. I don't think Paxton makes sense at 1:3 unless he's actually back at Kentucky and throwing. The same, I can't see him falling all the way to the third round. Solis is a big wildcard -- I wouldn't consider a 1:3 option but maybe he's still around in the third (if he hasn't improved upon his consistency start-to-start).

Hernandez is the most likely in your list (I think) to be around at 3:3. The others (Morgado/Solis/Paxton/Pomeranz) I think fall below 1:3 but before 3:3. Should all be interesing to watch this spring.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said. My rundown was more a list of lefties that should be selected within the first 2-3 rounds, and it's likely most of them will be gone at 3:3.

Archived