O's nearing deal with reliever Gonzalez

fansince1988

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This mean we loose are 1st rounder? And this move is pretty questionable signing someone this good means we mean bizness
No, we're in the top 15 so we lose a 2nd round pick. After the sandwich round, that pick will probably end up in the late 40s or early 50s. Not a price to really worry too much over losing, especially since we've been going over slot later in the draft a lot, and will probably use whatever money we would have given to our 2nd rounder to do just that.

The only major leaguer in history with the middle name "Vela".

He'd become the first Gonzalez to play for the Orioles, though the Birds used to employ infielder Rene Gonzales.

Hard not to like, though I find his 80 appearance last season after missing time two years in a row a bit of a cause for concern. If it happens, welcome aboard big lefty.

Of course we'll have to wait to see what kind of money is attached to this, and if it's really going to happen. Without that it's hard to make a definitive call one way or the other.

Positives: He's got a good K rate, he's pitched well for years (when healthy). Career xFIP of 3.52, so he's got a decent chance of staying under 4.00 for the O's. His BABIP and HR/FB rates for '09 look ok.

Negatives: The value of the pick is probably a couple $million, so that'll make it hard for him to bring back equal value for what's given up. He's a flyball pitcher. He had career highs (by a country mile) in games and innings in 2009. He's been hurt in the past.

If this is a 2/8-ish deal I guess it's ok. If it's 2/15 or more I don't see any way he's going to earn that.

Hect ya!!! I'm feeling little excited now. So let's get Atkins to a 2 yr contract worth 8-9 mill with 2011 club opt.

Easy there. Atkins is looking to sign anywhere he can start so it probably could get done with 1 year and a team option.

Also, call it a gut feeling, but I think AM gets Gordon from KC for Pie and a prospect. I don't know why but I have this feeling that KC will come back to the O's and AM's patience will prevail.

Easy there. Atkins is looking to sign anywhere he can start so it probably could get done with 1 year and a team option.

Also, call it a gut feeling, but I think AM gets Gordon from KC for Pie and a prospect. I don't know why but I have this feeling that KC will come back to the O's and AM's patience will prevail.

Viper: I've been thinking the same thing. Let's hope our guts are right.

As long as we keep taking and paying guys well above slot in the draft, Atlanta can have our 2nd round pick. I like the signing. My guess is 2-10. Just a guess.
I'd guess a little higher than that. 2/$12-14M.

I'm fine with that. He likely won't be worth quite that much, but I also don't think its a signing that could hurt us unless he gets injured or suffers some unexpected meltdown.

Of course we'll have to wait to see what kind of money is attached to this, and if it's really going to happen. Without that it's hard to make a definitive call one way or the other.

Positives: He's got a good K rate, he's pitched well for years (when healthy). Career xFIP of 3.52, so he's got a decent chance of staying under 4.00 for the O's. His BABIP and HR/FB rates for '09 look ok.

Negatives: The value of the pick is probably a couple $million, so that'll make it hard for him to bring back equal value for what's given up. He's a flyball pitcher. He had career highs (by a country mile) in games and innings in 2009. He's been hurt in the past.

If this is a 2/8-ish deal I guess it's ok. If it's 2/15 or more I don't see any way he's going to earn that.

Amongst the many things I trust about AM getting a good monetary deal that benefits the club is one of them.

Archived