O's nearing deal with reliever Gonzalez

fansince1988

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say I like it.

He is great vs LH hitters. By mid season, Lebron or Mickilio could be our closer and Gonzalez can give us our LOGGY/SET UP man. It gives a lot of flexability giving him a 2 year deal. Plus, our sorry bullpen improves with a shut down LHP. Something we dont have since losing Sherrill.

Closer should have been at the bottom of our list IMO, but if MacPhail thinks we need one so bad, hopefully that is a sign that he expects us to be a winning team this year.

Most importantly this is the first major FA Boras client MacPhail or the Orioles for that matter will have ever signed. Granted he's not a superstar, but he's a good talented reliever.

So hopefully this can ensure that we won't be hearing any "MacPhail will not deal with Boras client" mantras in the future. Right?

Cool, I'm fine with that type of deal.

I imagine the incentives are heavy on games finished.

That is what I was thinking. I was going to respond to your earlier post about how he had 80 appearances and agree on the fact that AM would have plenty of incentives based on games finished and such. This should be a solid signing and good competition between Kam, JJ, Koji, and Mike.

Should have dealt for Soriano to avoid losing the pick imo.

This is solid though imo. He's a very good reliever, and if AM chooses to do so, he can likely deal him at some point and get good value back in return.

With him signed, I'd actually be more interested in Valverde since as far as I know, we wouldn't lose a pick with that move.

Those two plus Johnson, Koji, and whatever young guys emerge would make for a very strong back end of the pen.

As Trea pointed out, closer wasn't a HUGE issue for us because we have so many in-house options, but I still love this deal. I don't love it because we have a proven closer, but because the rest of our bullpen is now stronger. JJ can be the set-up man again and Koji can be a great middle relief guy. Hendrickson will be a swingman again if/when we re-sign him. The other 3 spots can be fought for by all the young guys. Our bullpen may not be a strength next year, but AM is doing a good job of making sure it's not a weakness.

Archived