Anyone Have Any Idea Why AM Won't Add the Desperately Needed Big Bat?

Old#5fan

:confused:Other than money, does anyone have any idea why AM refuses to get the much needed big bat for the middle of the lineup?:confused: I really am frustrated with his supposed attempt of having Atkins fill this void. It reminds me more of a Syd Thrift type of move (cheapskate).:(

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who do you want him to add??? Boras came out and told him that Beltre wasn't interested in playing for us and Holliday got paid a ridiculous contract. So who does that leave that you want AM to sign?

Delgado is about the only one left now after the Rangers smartly signed Vlad.

There is a big bat available, and this one can fly on the basepaths as well. Defensively, he moves well, and he can snatch anything out of the air. Doesn't have a good throwing arm. He plays better at night.

-Larrytt

P.S. It's hard to get a big bat for the middle of the order when there aren't any available that aren't aging (Delgado played 26 games last year, and turns 38 in June), too expensive, or where we'd have to trade away our future. The minute the O's show they can contend, that's when they should break the bank or trade prospects for one. By then, of course, one of our current players (Wieters, Jones, Reimold?) might become that big cleanup bat.

You think Guerrero could have been the "big bat?"

Did you see him last season?

Did you check his numbers?

There's a reason the Angels let him go without a whimper. Atkins has a good chance of being more productive than Vlad in 2010, and I don't even like the Atkins signing.

Did you watch Vlad play last year. The warm weather and rock hard field may help him next year but Vlad looked old and slow last year. I think AM is waiting to see who develops and where. I really was not a big fan of any of the so called big bats that were free agents this year. Would you have given 120 million plus to Holliday??

I think we will see a different approach if the pitching takes hold this year. If Matusz and Tillman develop into big league starters and we are not more active next year then I will join you in griping. Until we can pitch we will lose.

:confused:Other than money, does anyone have any idea why AM refuses to get the much needed big bat for the middle of the lineup?:confused: I really am frustrated with his supposed attempt of having Atkins fill this void. It reminds me more of a Syd Thrift type of move (cheapskate).:(

I do not remember reading that the Atkins signing was an attempt to fill our "big bat void" ....

Still, AM did say he was going to buy some bats this winter and hinted we would land some quality ones and he has yet to do that. Maybe he thinks one of LaRoche/Delgado will sign on our terms. Those are decent bats, but unless AM pulls a rabbit out of his hat I'll feel like AM's bat hints were not fulfilled.

The winter is not over and I hope AM is trying to wait out some GMs who have to cut payroll or something. Even if AM is playing it for 2011, I would have liked to see more assistance provided to the 2010 team. We'll see.

There's a reason the Angels let him go without a whimper. Atkins has a good chance of being more productive than Vlad in 2010, and I don't even like the Atkins signing.

Of course he didn't check his numbers. He doesn't have to. His name is Vladimir Guerrero.

He "strikes fear into pitchers." :rolleyes:

Again he's a recognizable name, and that's good enough for some.

MacPhail never said that they were going to be "big bat" shoppers, just "bat" shoppers.

Atkins is a bat, therefore MacPhail has lived up to his promise.

What is your fascination with "promises" and "guarantees?"

You realize this is professional sports, that neither of those two things really exist.... right?

Of course he didn't check his numbers. He doesn't have to. His name is Vladimir Guerrero.

He "strikes fear into pitchers." :rolleyes:

Again he's a recognizable name, and that's good enough for some.

Didn't we try that with some guy named Sosa. He had an even bigger scary name than Vlad. Didn't work too well IIRC.:rofl:

At least we can rest assured that someone among us is not lulled to sleep by MacPhail's complicated rhetoric and has risen to challenge his authority.

:rolleyes:

Supposedly MacPhail has tried to acquire Butler/Gordon from KC but they weren't interested. On top of that, our choices were Glaus, Delgado & Holliday on the FA Market. I honestly don't blame him for his inactivity thus far.

If this is the roster when we head into Spring Training, I will definitely be disappointed, though.

Vlad's knees are shot and he has trouble catching up to the outside fastball now but do you really think Atkins will be better? If so, perhaps you would be interested in a friendly wager? :D

Archived