Anyone Have Any Idea Why AM Won't Add the Desperately Needed Big Bat?

Old#5fan

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see how this is not a genuine question considering one of the goals stated by Orioles leadership was to find a big RH bat to assist in increasing wins for this team.

Right now, as we stand, this team simply cannot compete in the AL East. We would even have trouble against most teams in the West (Oakland, Seattle and Los Angeles (A) spring to mind) and there aren't too many FAs left in the marketplace to help us even as a stopgap.

That's just the reality of the situation.

So I believe this is a legit question to ask.

Where IS the big impact RH bat that we were supposed to get since "wins and losses will matter" in the 2010 season?

In terms of trades, WHO could we possibly trade for that isn't a run down guy looking for a check or a major injury liability?

AM has super-conserved himself into a corner and there's no easy exit.

MSK

Can you please show me where AM stated he would bring in an impact RH bat or any impact bat at all????? He said he would be in the bat buying business this year but he didn't say what type of bats he would bring in. You are basing your continuing negativity on DT's wishes. He was the one who said he would like a RH cleanup hitter. SO who in the hell do you want him to get when it has been shown that none of the best FA bats on the market wanted to come here. Overreact often????

It's not easy finding a big right-handed bat who can play corner infield. Let's see: Boog Powell's available, but he's a lefty; Frank Robinson's a slugging righty, but he's an outfielder; Cal and Brooks can both play third, but neither are real sluggers. See how hard this is? Wait, how about Jim Gentile? A slugging first baseman! Anyone know if he's available? Except - dang it, he's another lefty! The search goes on....hey, Lee May! Right-handed slugger who plays first base! Bingo!!!

-Larrytt

P.S. And these are all "internal" options for the O's!

Gentile currently is a hitting coach for the Schaumburg Flyers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Gentile

I don't see how this is not a genuine question considering one of the goals stated by Orioles leadership was to find a big RH bat to assist in increasing wins for this team.

MSK

If it's a legitimate question why didn't you offer your theories on a possible answer(s)?

Don't forget that the question included the clause... "other than money..."

A big time bat will most likely be a need by the time we're ready to compete. So we'll have to add one by that time. It'd be nice to get it out of the way earlier so its one less thing to have to worry about acquiring, but if you have to vastly overpay for that bat, like we would have for Holliday or to trade for Gonzalez, then you don't want to make that type of move until its absolutely necessary.

Its obviously not absolutely necessary right now. One big bat isn't the difference between this team being a contender and this team not being a contender. When it is, then you can vastly overpay to bring a guy in. Before then, you only bring that guy in if it makes sense to do so. Beating a 7/$120M offer to Holliday obviously makes no sense, anyone who thinks it does is inept. Trading Matusz, Reimold, Britton, and Turner or something like that for two years of Gonzalez also makes no sense, anyone who thinks it does is inept.

When adding that last guy will turn us into a team that can be reasonably expected to make or at least seriously compete for the playoffs, then its worth mortgaging a lot of the future or making an unwise financial commitment. Until then, its not.

This is really very simple, not sure whats so difficult about it for so many. Or should I say so few.

Matsui 6 mil. Vlad 5 mil. They thought Matsui would have a better year. So do I.

I agree that Matsui's $6 million might end up being money very well spent by the Angels, however I'm not ready to completely write off Vlad just yet as the poster I was originally responding to seemed to be willing to do.

When adding that last guy will turn us into a team that can be reasonably expected to make or at least seriously compete for the playoffs, then its worth mortgaging a lot of the future or making an unwise financial commitment. Until then, its not.

This is really very simple, not sure whats so difficult about it for so many. Or should I say so few.

As I've said, why does a big bat have to be the last piece? A big bat should be a building block, otherwise there's no sense in signing them to a LT deal.

Why wait until you only have 2 years left in your window to sign a player to an 6-8 year deal if you only have those 2 years?

Wouldn't it make more sense to sign that player while you have a 3-4 year window, thus they can help your team win more games and your younger players gain more confidence and you might even compete 1 year sooner than planned?

As I've said, why does a big bat have to be the last piece? A big bat should be a building block, otherwise there's no sense in signing them to a LT deal.

Why wait until you only have 2 years left in your window to sign a player to an 6-8 year deal if you only have those 2 years?

Wouldn't it make more sense to sign that player while you have a 3-4 year window, thus they can help your team win more games and your younger players gain more confidence and you might even compete 1 year sooner than planned?

Trea, it's so obvious that everybody but a blind man and you can see it (and I bet there are some blind men who can see it). There's nobody who's a good match right now with what the team's needs are. In part, this is because it's not exactly clear what the team's needs are. Which is what AM is using this season to get clearer about. Just like he said. Just like has been pointed out to you about a zillion times. Yet you keep asking the same question again and again, even though it's been answered again and again and again. Saying you disagree is fine, and we know you do because you've said it a million times. But pretending you don't understand is just dopey.

Trea, it's so obvious that everybody but a blind man and you can see it (and I bet there are some blind men who can see it). There's nobody who's a good match right now with what the team's needs are. In part, this is because it's not exactly clear what the team's needs are.

I HATE being patient. It sucks. But if there was ever a year that Os fans needed to be patient and let AM see what we have vs what we need, then 2010 is that year. If this year all we see is mediocrity at the corner IF positions, then hell, I'll be JTrea's wingman. Make a trade, make a big signing. But when we have guys close to the majors, let them try to make their way up. If they don't THIS YEAR, then make a move. I hate waiting and losing as much as the next man, but we have to be smarter in how we go about doing this than we were in the past.

Trea, it's so obvious that everybody but a blind man and you can see it (and I bet there are some blind men who can see it). There's nobody who's a good match right now with what the team's needs are. In part, this is because it's not exactly clear what the team's needs are. Which is what AM is using this season to get clearer about. Just like he said. Just like has been pointed out to you about a zillion times. Yet you keep asking the same question again and again, even though it's been answered again and again and again. Saying you disagree is fine, and we know you do because you've said it a million times. But pretending you don't understand is just dopey.

I took JTrea's questions to be rhetorical, not some indication of genuine misunderstanding. I agree with his premise that a big bat can just as easily be a building block as a final piece. If anything the recent news about Beltre's categorical refusal to consider the Orioles altogether lends even more weight to the notion that a large move or two should be made sooner in the interest of team credibility if nothing else. I don't agree with JTrea's assumption that a 'window' is a static thing. The competitive window for a successfully run team should be long in duration if not ongoing.

Here's another rhetorical question: will there ever come a time when the team's needs are, to use your words, exactly clear? I don't think such a thing is possible, and while risk/reward calculations are essential, it's just as essential to remember they take place in a dynamic environment not some static, linear one these wait-and-see philosophies seem to be rooted in.

To many including some very responsible posters, it has become an article of faith that the 2010 season should be, to some significant degree, sacrificed in the interest of information gathering. Perhaps they'll be proven right, but IMHO all articles of faith should be questioned vigorously and often and in that regard I welcome JTrea's point of view.

anyone who thinks Vlad would have been the "big" bat is grossly overestimating Vlad in his current form.

Amen! Most, if not all of the big bats still on the market fall in to the same category. It's all a crapshoot as to how much they have left in the tank and/or how quickly the wheels are apt to fall off. If we pursue a bat, best we trade for one. While it would be nice to have a real big stick batting 4th, something less than a 35 homerun guy could provide some pop and offer protection for the 3 hole. It is possible that we already have that big of a bat. Nolan or Matt could break out big.

Archived