Anyone Have Any Idea Why AM Won't Add the Desperately Needed Big Bat?

Old#5fan

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vlad's knees are shot and he has trouble catching up to the outside fastball now but do you really think Atkins will be better? If so, perhaps you would be interested in a friendly wager? :D

Oh man, I hate putting my fate into the hands of players I don't believe in, but I guess I asked for it. But what the heck, I really do think that Vlad is finished, and it's probably a coin flip either way.

Just so long as Atkins isn't required to meet some minimum standard of performance...

:confused:Other than money, does anyone have any idea why AM refuses to get the much needed big bat for the middle of the lineup?:confused: I really am frustrated with his supposed attempt of having Atkins fill this void. It reminds me more of a Syd Thrift type of move (cheapskate).:(

Because he hates the Orioles and can't stand to see them succeed.

Seriously, what kind of question is this?

Oh man, I hate putting my fate into the hands of players I don't believe in, but I guess I asked for it. But what the heck, I really do think that Vlad is finished, and it's probably a coin flip either way.

Just so long as Atkins isn't required to meet some minimum standard of performance...

No minimums or maximums, just relative performance. We could decide on a poster to deposit our bets with and then let the board decide who had the better year. No big money, just a friendly bet, say $100?

You think Guerrero could have been the "big bat?"

Did you see him last season?

Did you check his numbers?

There's a reason the Angels let him go without a whimper. Atkins has a good chance of being more productive than Vlad in 2010, and I don't even like the Atkins signing.

Roughly $55 million committed to Hunter, Mathews, Abreu, Fuentes and Kazmir with another $5+ million still owed Speier might also have something to do with it.

Because he hates the Orioles and can't stand to see them succeed.

Seriously, what kind of question is this?

It's a disingenuous question, that's what. Anybody who even pretends to pay attention here knows what the story is, and to pretend like they don't is phony. It's one thing to disagree, it's something else when somebody puts on an act like they don't understand. It's a weekend night and we have a few rant threads going on...

It's a disingenuous question, that's what. Anybody who even pretends to pay attention here knows what the story is, and to pretend like they don't is phony. It's one thing to disagree, it's something else when somebody puts on an act like they don't understand. It's a weekend night and we have a few rant threads going on...

I don't see how this is not a genuine question considering one of the goals stated by Orioles leadership was to find a big RH bat to assist in increasing wins for this team.

Right now, as we stand, this team simply cannot compete in the AL East. We would even have trouble against most teams in the West (Oakland, Seattle and Los Angeles (A) spring to mind) and there aren't too many FAs left in the marketplace to help us even as a stopgap.

That's just the reality of the situation.

So I believe this is a legit question to ask.

Where IS the big impact RH bat that we were supposed to get since "wins and losses will matter" in the 2010 season?

In terms of trades, WHO could we possibly trade for that isn't a run down guy looking for a check or a major injury liability?

AM has super-conserved himself into a corner and there's no easy exit.

MSK

Did you watch Vlad play last year. The warm weather and rock hard field may help him next year but Vlad looked old and slow last year. I think AM is waiting to see who develops and where. I really was not a big fan of any of the so called big bats that were free agents this year. Would you have given 120 million plus to Holliday??

I think we will see a different approach if the pitching takes hold this year. If Matusz and Tillman develop into big league starters and we are not more active next year then I will join you in griping. Until we can pitch we will lose.

Are we banking on our younger players to get us over the hump? Until we win more games, top flight free agents will not come here. Signing Vlad or Delgado would be the same risk we took with Atkins. Keeping the status quo and buying stop gaps will not increase the wins in this division.

I don't see how this is not a genuine question considering one of the goals stated by Orioles leadership was to find a big RH bat to assist in increasing wins for this team.

Right now, as we stand, this team simply cannot compete in the AL East. We would even have trouble against most teams in the West (Oakland, Seattle and Los Angeles (A) spring to mind) and there aren't too many FAs left in the marketplace to help us even as a stopgap.

That's just the reality of the situation.

So I believe this is a legit question to ask.

Where IS the big impact RH bat that we were supposed to get since "wins and losses will matter" in the 2010 season?

In terms of trades, WHO could we possibly trade for that isn't a run down guy looking for a check or a major injury liability?

AM has super-conserved himself into a corner and there's no easy exit.

MSK

We have been super conservative for years and that is how AM will continue to operate. We have to be realistic and say that this is how Orioles management will operate especially with the attendance dipping every year. When the super free agent class becomes available in 2011, do you really believe that Orioles management will out bid other teams?

We have been super conservative for years and that is how AM will continue to operate. We have to be realistic and say that this is how Orioles management will operate especially with the attendance dipping every year. When the super free agent class becomes available in 2011, do you really believe that Orioles management will out bid other teams?

Not a chance, but many here hang onto that pipe dream, so don't spoil it.

Right now, as we stand, this team simply cannot compete in the AL East. We would even have trouble against most teams in the West (Oakland, Seattle and Los Angeles (A) spring to mind)

I can't say that I completely agree w/ this. Just by subtraction of some of our crap from last year, we should be a significantly better team. I know it was only 3 games, but we swept the Phillies last year. Getting (hopefully) a full season out of Weiters, Tillman, Matusz, Bergy plus maybe some Bell or Snyder in the second half, should add up to some more wins. I'm not saying we're going to win 100 this year but we are looking better.

It's not easy finding a big right-handed bat who can play corner infield. Let's see: Boog Powell's available, but he's a lefty; Frank Robinson's a slugging righty, but he's an outfielder; Cal and Brooks can both play third, but neither are real sluggers. See how hard this is? Wait, how about Jim Gentile? A slugging first baseman! Anyone know if he's available? Except - dang it, he's another lefty! The search goes on....hey, Lee May! Right-handed slugger who plays first base! Bingo!!!

-Larrytt

P.S. And these are all "internal" options for the O's!

Archived