Crowley likes Aubrey

ChaosLex

Crowley's job is to be something of a cheerleader. He rarely says a negative word about anyone, and he wants them thinking positive. So, you have to take what he says about Aubrey with a grain of salt. That said, Aubrey did not embarass himself out there last year.

This.

Funny how people bring up Crowley's comments about Pie all the time and at least one of those people is saying Crowley's is wrong.

Crowley's comments should always be taking with a grain of salt...no matter the player.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aubrey has been a pretty good hitter over his minor leaguer career and he showed enough in his major league time that I'm not opposed to him being the placeholder for Snyder and/or Bell.

Injuries have been his biggest problem, but I liked his swing and felt he looked pretty good defensively at 1B. Honestly, I'd rather have him there then signing Crede.

I'm not shocked that message is coming from MASN as Melewski is basically a mouthpiece for the organization.

And Zrebiec only says what MacPhail wants him to say.

It's a shame because if the Red Sox or Yankees were to try this their respective FOs would be skewered in the local press, especially after MacPhail made that statement that can be found in my sig.

I just can't believe nobody is picking up on that he's failed to do his job this offseason.

Happy 26,000!

Aubrey's minor league career has been riddled with injuries, both serious and nagging. I think using his MiL stats to evaluate him is flawed. Crowley didn't have to go so far as to say that there's no doubt that Aubrey is a major league hitter.

But I also think the "extrapolators" have some flawed thinking. Small sample size, September mop up time, etc.

Both sides considered, I'd love a good old fashioned spring training competition. With any new addition as well as with Scott, Wigginton and Aubrey. A smart platoon could end up being the answer, too.

This.

Funny how people bring up Crowley's comments about Pie all the time and at least one of those people is saying Crowley's is wrong.

Crowley's comments should always be taking with a grain of salt...no matter the player.

I don't think it's only about what Crowley said about Pie. It's also about what Pie has said about Crowley, for me at least. All the coaches have to be cheerleaders somewhat. So that's not that uncommon.

Both sides considered, I'd love a good old fashioned spring training competition. With any new addition as well as with Scott, Wigginton and Aubrey. A smart platoon could end up being the answer, too.

That's what we thought about the 2008 SS situation.

1B is going to be that all over again IMO with Snyder spending most of the year in AAA.

Garrett Atkins, Rhyne Hughes and Scott Moore will be in the picture as well.

I'm not shocked that message is coming from MASN as Melewski is basically a mouthpiece for the organization.

And Zrebiec only says what MacPhail wants him to say.

It's a shame because if the Red Sox or Yankees were to try this their respective FOs would be skewered in the local press, especially after MacPhail made that statement that can be found in my sig.

I just can't believe nobody is picking up on that he's failed to do his job this offseason.

Because most objective observers disagree. Show me an article by any outside journalist saying MacPhail has done a bad job this winter. There aren't any.

That said, I am not happy with the state of 1B/3B.

I don't think it's only about what Crowley said about Pie. It's also about what Pie has said about Crowley, for me at least. All the coaches have to be cheerleaders somewhat. So that's not that uncommon.

Crow's comments about Pie is the one that came to my head first. I am not talking about whether or not Crow's comments are accurate...but that we should take his comments with a grain of salt...like Frobby said in his post.

Because most objective observers disagree. Show me an article by any outside journalist saying MacPhail has done a bad job this winter. There aren't any.

That said, I am not happy with the state of 1B/3B.

He hasn't done anything stupid, but he hasn't done anything that improves the team greatly either.

It's not that he's done a bad job, it's that he hasn't done what he said it was his job to do. And the Orioles are pretty irrelevant to the national media so they wouldn't pick up on that quote at all.

Crow's comments about Pie is the one that came to my head first. I am not talking about whether or not Crow's comments are accurate...but that we should take his comments with a grain of salt...like Frobby said in his post.

I agree that the Aubrey statements are a bit generic, seems like he was just trying to be nice and supportive, nothing more. Crowley on Pie seemed more genuine to me though, don't know why. Maybe it's hopeful thinking or I got caught up in the emotional interview with Pie and the cycle.

He hasn't done anything stupid, but he hasn't done anything that improves the team greatly either.

It's not that he's done a bad job, it's that he hasn't done what he said it was his job to do. And the Orioles are pretty irrelevant to the national media so they wouldn't pick up on that quote at all.

He improved the starting pitching with Millwood, and the relief corps by adding a closer in Gonzales. He's giving Crowley a chance to rework Atkins as a stopgap and he apparently believes both Snyder and Bell are part of the future here.

I would have liked to see him acquire a shortstop of the future, but overall, considering what was available, I don't see how we're not improved. Are we contenders? No. But with improvements by Wieters, Jones, Matusz, Tillman, Reimold, and Bergesen to go along with Roberts and Markakis I think we have a better team than last year.

If the Orioles can win around 80-games this year and we see improvement by those young players and the continued improvements by Bell and Snyder in AAA then this coming year is a success.

I'd like to see both Bell and Snyder during the second half of the year so they will both be ready for full-time by 2011 which just happens to correspond with MacPhail's plan all along.

He improved the starting pitching with Millwood, and the relief corps by adding a closer in Gonzales. He's giving Crowley a chance to rework Atkins as a stopgap and he apparently believes both Snyder and Bell are part of the future here.

I would have liked to see him acquire a shortstop of the future, but overall, considering what was available, I don't see how we're not improved. Are we contenders? No. But with improvements by Wieters, Jones, Matusz, Tillman, Reimold, and Bergesen to go along with Roberts and Markakis I think we have a better team than last year.

If the Orioles can win around 80-games this year and we see improvement by those young players and the continued improvements by Bell and Snyder in AAA then this coming year is a success.

I'd like to see both Bell and Snyder during the second half of the year so they will both be ready for full-time by 2011 which just happens to correspond with MacPhail's plan all along.

I love it when a plan comes together. Boy, did I just date myself.:laughlol:

Archived