Crowley likes Aubrey

ChaosLex

If the Orioles decide to sift through their inventory, which isn't their first choice, Aubrey would have to rank as the favorite to emerge with the job. He appeared in 31 games last season after having his contract purchased on Aug. 18, batting .289 with seven doubles, four homers and 14 RBIs in 90 at-bats. He also flashed a pretty good glove, living up to his reputation in Triple-A.

"Mike is the type of player that grows on you," hitting coach Terry Crowley said. "If you come and watch our BP, like I do every day up-close, he's not the type of guy who's going to wow you. Brian Roberts isn't the kind of guy who wows you in BP. Neither one of them tries to. They try to get their swing down, use the whole field, spray the ball around. But when the game starts, there's a lot I do like about Mike.

"He's not opposed to hitting the ball the other way, and if you leave one in his wheel house, he showed us he has power. I wouldn't be opposed to him being one of our regular players if we started out that way. I know Andy's trying to load the cannon as much as he can and get us as many tools as he can, but Mike showed me a lot of things.

"No. 1, he's a major league hitter. He's not a minor league ballplayer. He's definitely a major league hitter. And where he falls in the major leagues has yet to be determined."

Again, I'm not predicting that Aubrey will jog down that orange carpet for the home opener on April 9, but his chances improve as another day passes without a corner infielder joining the roster.

http://masnsports.com/2010/01/taking-inventory.html

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crowley's job is to be something of a cheerleader. He rarely says a negative word about anyone, and he wants them thinking positive. So, you have to take what he says about Aubrey with a grain of salt. That said, Aubrey did not embarass himself out there last year.

I have a feeling that Michael Aubrey will be the newest player who essentially won a job during the previous September (or in limited action), and fails miserably the following season.

Past players include:

Luis Hernandez

Brian Bass

Alfredo Simon

Alberto Castillo

If Aubrey plays the way he did in September this ST, then why shouldn't he get a shot?

PS - I am in no way endorsing him as OD starting firstbase. But 1B was SO effing terrible for us last year, Aubrey may very well be an improvement by default.

If Aubrey plays the way he did in September this ST, then why shouldn't he get a shot?

Because 90 AB's don't a full-time player make. He's had 764 AB's in the MiL the last 3 years and failed to break an .800 OPS in each of those seasons.

I am all for giving him a ST invite. And if he goes Nolan Reimold on us, then by all means, make him the 1B on OD. Bat him clean-up for all I care.

I am just sick of watching the Orioles "be OK" with allowing players to win jobs or get their foot in the door because they played OK for a couple weeks during garbage time (September).

How about actually upgrading the position?

Because 90 AB's don't a full-time player make. He's had 764 AB's in the MiL the last 3 years and failed to break an .800 OPS in each of those seasons.

I am all for giving him a ST invite. And if he goes Nolan Reimold on us, then by all means, make him the 1B on OD. Bat him clean-up for all I care.

I am just sick of watching the Orioles "be OK" with allowing players to win jobs or get their foot in the door because they played OK for a couple weeks during garbage time (September).

How about actually upgrading the position?

That is what garbage time largely is though. That is the chance for a guy like Aubrey to get MLB playing time. He did well. So that deserves a Spring Training invite.

I'm saying that if he wins the job, he wins the job. I know I am just a sucker for "out of nowhere" success stories and I wish Aubrey the best.

But I honestly would rather go with Snyder.

He has no business starting for us or any other ML team.

Okay I mean this is what I am talking about. I am not talking about Aubrey necessarily - but what if he genuinely wins the job and becomes something of a late bloomer.

What if he is tearing the cover off the ball?

The Orioles really can't afford to think like that in my mind. I mean, you are most likely right and odds are he will never be an everyday starter in the MLB.

But hey, it would be a cool story wouldn't it?

That is what garbage time largely is though. That is the chance for a guy like Aubrey to get MLB playing time. He did well. So that deserves a Spring Training invite.

I'm saying that if he wins the job, he wins the job. I know I am just a sucker for "out of nowhere" success stories and I wish Aubrey the best.

But I honestly would rather go with Snyder.

Aubrey is exactly the kind of player who would get exploited after he becomes a full-time player. How familiar were pitchers with him when they faced him last September? Were there even any scouting reports out on him?

If a team has a hole they are looking at in September, then the best choice would be to upgrade it during the offseason, not to plug some guy in there for 90 AB's and see what happens.

Like I said, if Aubrey tears up ST, bring him north. Until then, he should be Plan C player, best case scenario. And batting clean-up for Norfolk until plans A and B are exhausted.

We've only needed a legit 1B since 2000.

Okay I mean this is what I am talking about. I am not talking about Aubrey necessarily - but what if he genuinely wins the job and becomes something of a late bloomer.

What if he is tearing the cover off the ball?

The Orioles really can't afford to think like that in my mind. I mean, you are most likely right and odds are he will never be an everyday starter in the MLB.

But hey, it would be a cool story wouldn't it?

He shouldn't even be allowed to compete for it.

He isn't good.

Scott should be the first baseman.

Aubrey can make the team if he shows he can be a good bench player..be a late inning defensive replacement for Scott and spot starter...That's fine.

But nothing more than that.

Archived