Great news from Hobgood

Ohfan67

Well, to me being out of shape and over weight should have caused the lad to fall out of first round consideration by any team. You don't reward someone for being in that condition by overlooking it. That sends a bad message IMO, although it is good that apparently he is working out now. He should have been doing so before he was drafted to impress the scouts which is what I don't fathom.

This isn't an unreasonable position to take.

I do think it's important to remember that Jordan's job is to get the best talent for the future, not to pass judgement on someone's actions in the past. The most likely scenario here is Jordan considered Hobgood's physical condition and a ton of other factors and determined that he had whatever intangibles it takes to over come his weight issue.

In other words, he used other evidence to diminish the risk he felt was associated with the pick.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd also like to throw out there that it's entirely possible that the reason Hobgood was a mid-round projection was based on his build. People could have easily thought 1) that he's a lazy guy or 2) that he doesn't have any room for physical maturity, so we're seeing his ceiling.

In each respect, a mid-round grade would have been based on lower projections for Hobgood. Therefore, if Jordan's assessment is right and Hobgood really does have some projection left, it's entirely possible that we got a legit top 5-8 talent for below "market" value. If this proves to be true, Jordan will look like a genius.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more these reports of his elevated body fat mesh well with the idea that Hobgood does have more room for growth, something which has been somewhat discounted on these boards prior to this discussion.

I'm not as concerned about body fat as I am about what it could mean in regards to work ethic.

We can all guess as to what kind of guidance and influences he had when he was younger. What we do know is that he wasn't in peak physical shape when he signed and he appears to have worked hard to correct that this winter. If that trend continues I know I'll be happy.

I'm not as concerned about body fat as I am about what it could mean in regards to work ethic.

We can all guess as to what kind of guidance and influences he had when he was younger. What we do know is that he wasn't in peak physical shape when he signed and he appears to have worked hard to correct that this winter. If that trend continues I know I'll be happy.

I agree we sure don't need a Sydney Ponson clone.:(:eek: He was another guy who always looked out of shape.

Like I said in the quote, I was just passing on what I was told. I have never seen Hobgood personally just to set the record straight.

I wasn't implying anything different Tony. I used the quote in response to the idea that Hobgood was anywhere near 22% at draft time.

My take on what I have read is that he was heavy up until his last year, he lost weight, pitched well as a senior, was drafted. I think he hit the buffett circuit after the draft, showed up to his pro debut heavy. I think he probably then gained more weight after the season ended and he showed up at the center in November at 22%.

I hope that working with experts for his weight loss this time teaches him good habits to use here on out.

I wasn't implying anything different Tony. I used the quote in response to the idea that Hobgood was anywhere near 22% at draft time.

My take on what I have read is that he was heavy up until his last year, he lost weight, pitched well as a senior, was drafted. I think he hit the buffett circuit after the draft, showed up to his pro debut heavy. I think he probably then gained more weight after the season ended and he showed up at the center in November at 22%.

I hope that working with experts for his weight loss this time teaches him good habits to use here on out.

He certainly was not in the same shape that the Orioles saw him in the spring when he showed up at Bluefield. Saying that, he seemed to have worked very hard this off season and I'm more interested in how he takes care of himself now then before.

He certainly was not in the same shape that the Orioles saw him in the spring when he showed up at Bluefield. Saying that, he seemed to have worked very hard this off season and I'm more interested in how he takes care of himself now then before.

I agree with your that what he does now is of main concern but some people battle weight issues lifelong and it just baffles me why with all the talented picks out there the Orioles would see fit to draft probably one of no doubt only a minimal few that had these issues. I mean, cmon, most people (myself included) were in the best physical shape of their lives in H.S. Although I do know that H.S.'s now don't require phys ed yearly anymore like they used to when I went, and I think that is why a lot more kids are heavy and out of shape.

I agree with your that what he does now is of main concern but some people battle weight issues lifelong and it just baffles me why with all the talented picks out there the Orioles would see fit to draft probably one of no doubt only a minimal few that had these issues. I mean, cmon, most people (myself included) were in the best physical shape of their lives in H.S. Although I do know that H.S.'s now don't require phys ed yearly anymore like they used to when I went, and I think that is why a lot more kids are heavy and out of shape.

Body's come in different shape and sizes and just because you were in the best shape of your life in high school does not mean someone else may have a differing path.

The Orioles did not have major concerns over his weight and felt that the concerns were overblown. I think it's more important on how a professional athlete takes care of himself after signing a professional contract then before.

Right now we're hearing from Hobgood. I'll wait to hear from my contacts down there before I start to form an opinion one way or the other.

One thing for certain, if he pitches well this year, no one will ever care. No one complains about weight being an issue until a pitcher starts to pitch poorly.

18 year old's don't have a clue about much. That's why most of them have to go to college before anyone will give them money and professional responsibility.

In the baseball world, college is replaced by the low minors. This is were players learn to become professional athletes.

Also, out of shape is a relative term. I'm guessing if you stack Hobgood up with the average 18 old he looks like Zeus. But compared to his peers, who all profile as one of the 300, he is behind the curve.

For a case study, see 'Stephen Strasburg'.

The point is his weight at this age. That is the issue. If you don't think it matters, than why would the Orioles be having him lose weight?

I don't know that they necessarily wanted him to lose a bunch of weight, moreso to get in better shape by reducing his body fat ratio. Hobgood said he lost about 17 pounds of body fat and gained 9 pounds of muscle.....that actually only an 8 lb weight loss.

I wasn't even able to start hanging significant muscle on my body until the end of my freshman year of college. I was in fine enough shape, but my physique was still softish until my second and final growth spurt at the start of college, which brought 2 inches and a much easier time building-up muscle mass.

I played baseball year-round and worked out regularly in a gym from the end of soph. year of HS through sr. year -- results were just slower coming until college. Everone's different.

I wasn't even able to start hanging significant muscle on my body until the end of my freshman year of college. I was in fine enough shape, but my physique was still softish until my second and final growth spurt at the start of college, which brought 2 inches and a much easier time building-up muscle mass.

I played baseball year-round and worked out regularly in a gym from the end of soph. year of HS through sr. year -- results were just slower coming until college. Everone's different.

True, but I have followed a lot of HS sports including watching my son who was All County Baseball and All State Basketball his senior year and I cannot recall seeing many fat kids being sucessfull in sports. Mainly because most kids aren't fat and athletic, especially at that age. Most kids are like you and me and on the skinny side, yet in shape. I weighed 145 pounds soaking wet at 5' 11 in HS and I was done growing as far as height. I now at age 55 weigh between 185-190 and am probably overweight by about 15-25 pounds. It gets much harder to lose weight as you age.

True, but I have followed a lot of HS sports including watching my son who was All County Baseball and All State Basketball his senior year and I cannot recall seeing many fat kids being sucessfull in sports. Mainly because most kids aren't fat and athletic, especially at that age. Most kids are like you and me and on the skinny side, yet in shape. I weighed 145 pounds soaking wet at 5' 11 in HS and I was done growing as far as height. I now at age 55 weigh between 185-190 and am probably overweight by about 15-25 pounds. It gets much harder to lose weight as you age.

Right, but not every HS kid knows how to get himself into peak physical condition. Not making excuses for being overweight, but this winter he was exposed to professional training and nutrition and he seems to have taken to it. So I think it is more than fair to let the young man spend some time in the system before knocking him for his physique.

Now, I think there are still valid critiques of the selection at 1:5, but neither work ethic nor "bad body" would be one of them, in my opinion.

Weight and future body type negatively impacted Prince Fielder's draft status.

It's Joe Jordan's job to see through potential weight issues (not that we've read a lot about such issue with Hobgood) into the type of pitcher that Hobgood could become. Not to be put off by the cover in the first place - as implied in posts like the above.

Archived