Well, at least MD fans are consistent

I think it'd be cool if they did shut down Rt 1 for a couple hours from just south of Regents Dr to just past the shopping center at Hartwick. Cars could still leave campus going either North on Rt 1 or take the back way to Rt 193. Cars around that area could take back roads to get around the blockage. Bring the fire department and light some controlled bonfires, or don't.

Just don't bring the damn riot police to beat the crap out of a bunch of kids who aren't causing any real harm. Nothing gets thrown at riot police if riot police aren't there. And I've seen them, they don't just show up, act calmly, and then students start throwing stuff at them. Every single time its the officers that instigate. I respect police, but the morons who are riot police are the real problem, IMO. They immediately start threatening and pointing their weapons at students who are just standing around. They are the reason it often goes from a peaceful but boisterous celebration to a debacle where dozens of people get arrested.

The university and the city need to try and come up with an intelligent way to let us celebrate. Its difficult because its often spontaneous, but a general gameplan would be a good idea. The "called the riot brigade" plan is a terrible one for everyone involved.

They just need a designated "Hamsterdam" location.

Problem solved.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it'd be cool if they did shut down Rt 1 for a couple hours from just south of Regents Dr to just past the shopping center at Hartwick. Cars could still leave campus going either North on Rt 1 or take the back way to Rt 193. Cars around that area could take back roads to get around the blockage. Bring the fire department and light some controlled bonfires, or don't.

Just don't bring the damn riot police to beat the crap out of a bunch of kids who aren't causing any real harm. Nothing gets thrown at riot police if riot police aren't there. And I've seen them, they don't just show up, act calmly, and then students start throwing stuff at them. Every single time its the officers that instigate. I respect police, but the morons who are riot police are the real problem, IMO. They immediately start threatening and pointing their weapons at students who are just standing around. They are the reason it often goes from a peaceful but boisterous celebration to a debacle where dozens of people get arrested.

The university and the city need to try and come up with an intelligent way to let us celebrate. Its difficult because its often spontaneous, but a general gameplan would be a good idea. The "called the riot brigade" plan is a terrible one for everyone involved.

This is an excellent suggestion. Let the college kids be college kids in a semi-controlled environment, while making sure things don't get ridiculously out of hand.

This is an excellent suggestion. Let the college kids be college kids in a semi-controlled environment, while making sure things don't get ridiculously out of hand.
To be fair, the University did try to come up with some plans while I was there. They made suggestions about having some sort of gathering on frat row. But that's not where the kids wanna be, we wanna be down on Rt 1 near the bars, people can get there really quickly from the bars, from houses back in the colleges, from the knox boxes and towers, and from the Commons. The problem, is that this is city property, not the University. I think the University would actually be easy enough to work with that we could figure something out for the students to celebrate and have fun, but the city isn't willing to actively allow for that to occur on its streets.

I still find it hard to believe that:

1. People are arguing that students should be allowed to have their fun on state property whether it is legal or not.

2. People are advocating closing down sections of Rte 1 when it is a major U.S. highway, adjacent to a firehouse that needs access to communities south of campus (http://www.cpvfd.org/station.php), and is surrounded by roads that people in the community call a "Labyrinth" (http://rethinkcollegepark.net/blog/2007/313/).

Uh, PG county is worse than Detroit. Like Stoner said, these guys normally aren't students but the lowlifes hanging around College Park drinking and then act like they go to the school.

Trust me, I know all about the PG county cops.,..They are death for my business...They suck big time.

I do agree that the situation likely got escalated because of them.

Its fun and harmless, who cares if its legal or not. Are all the things you do for fun legal? If so, I'd argue you aren't having quite enough fun.

Destruction of property isn't acceptable, but they should be allowed to gather and celebrate. I'm fine either way on the bonfires, if the city wants to say you can gather en masse just don't light anything on fire, I'd be fine with that, but I have no problems with them lighting small bonfires as long as they don't get out of control.

It's very dangerous, and it gets labelled as rioting - which gives the university a bad name. How hard is it to find a way to have fun without lighting fires? Other schools don't seem to have this problem.

Here is the problem with the fires...Whether it be at MD, Duke or wherever.

What happens if you "allow" it and someone gets killed? If you don't think that is possible, then you are either naive or just stupid.

A bunch of drunk college kids lighting stuff on fire is a recipe for potential disaster.

What do you think would be said, nationwide, about the university and the local police if they allowed this to happen and someone got killed or even seriously injured?

I actually don't even disagree with the idea of allowing them in a controlled environment but you can't expect them to allow it(if that makes sense)...There is too much risk involved.

Mackus, how much would you be "standing up" for this idea had your sister been severely burned in these fires? Would you think it was the cool thing to do then?

It's very dangerous, and it gets labelled as rioting - which gives the university a bad name. How hard is it to find a way to have fun without lighting fires? Other schools don't seem to have this problem.
I already said if they wanna ban the bonfires but allow the students to gather, I'd be ok with that. I don't think they are very dangerous though as long as they aren't near any buildings or particularly big. We're not talking about the Texas A&M type bonfires, its a twin size mattress in the middle of 6 lanes of traffic. I've seen them and never once did I think anything was in danger of going up in flames other than the trash being burned in the pile.

Here is the problem with the fires...Whether it be at MD, Duke or wherever.

What happens if you "allow" it and someone gets killed? If you don't think that is possible, then you are either naive or just stupid.

A bunch of drunk college kids lighting stuff on fire is a recipe for potential disaster.

What do you think would be said, nationwide, about the university and the local police if they allowed this to happen and someone got killed or even seriously injured?

I actually don't even disagree with the idea of allowing them in a controlled environment but you can't expect them to allow it(if that makes sense)...There is too much risk involved.

Mackus, how much would you be "standing up" for this idea had your sister been severely burned in these fires? Would you think it was the cool thing to do then?

I think people are vastly overestimating the size of these bonfires. They aren't big enough to kill anyone. I'd agree that big fires shouldn't be allowed, and I'm fine with not allowing the small ones, but I'd push for a way to let there be some controlled bonfires, maybe even put on by the FD, where the students could gather, although maybe its the non-controlled part that makes it fun.

I just think that ultimately its about letting the students gather and enjoy themselves. I understand that the university and city need to keep it safe and orderly, and I think there is a way to accomplish that while still keeping it fun and memorable for the students. It'll just take a bit of compromise on both the students and University's part, and also, and probably moreso, on the part of the city.

How do PG County cops affect diamond sales in Nottingham?

They don't...but we do hotel gold buying shows and PG is very very strict about things...They really screwed over some people we know who did a show there.

They basically said, we don't want you here and will do what we can to make it difficult on you. They are the strictest county in the state.

I get that other schools do off-color things, I do. But I can't think of the last game I watched where I could hear FU chants coming through the broadcast that loudly and clearly (and that often). I really don't see a way to describe that as anything but immature, classless, and disrespectful. It's not even witty-heckling...it's just crass and ignorant.

The bonfires and whatnot afterwards are no big deal (for the most part), but the in-game stuff reflects very poorly on the fan base.

Agreed. Maybe I'm just old school when it comes to cheering, but there is never a reason to start a F-you chant in an arena. I know the students think it's funny and they get all caught up in it, but really, it's just embarrassing to the entire university.

If I'm a parent of a recruit, it would certainly sour me to the place.

I think people are vastly overestimating the size of these bonfires. They aren't big enough to kill anyone. I'd agree that big fires shouldn't be allowed, and I'm fine with not allowing the small ones, but I'd push for a way to let there be some controlled bonfires, maybe even put on by the FD, where the students could gather, although maybe its the non-controlled part that makes it fun.

I just think that ultimately its about letting the students gather and enjoy themselves. I understand that the university and city need to keep it safe and orderly, and I think there is a way to accomplish that while still keeping it fun and memorable for the students. It'll just take a bit of compromise on both the students and University's part, and also, and probably moreso, on the part of the city.

Mackus, you are really sounding naive here.

Small fires aren't enough to kill anyone? Are you serious? Of course they can and if not, they are certainly enough to have someone become disfigured for life.

And to say well they should allow small but not big ones is also naive...Who is to say some dumbass(es) don't escalate the small ones into a big one?

It may not even be a student...It may not even be a fan...Just some moron in the crowd that decides to do something stupid. That's the problem.

You aren't accounting for the stupidity of people..People, in general, are dumb and when they are in college and drunk, they are dumber.

And you didn't answer me...Would you be cool with these if your sister, who you said goes there now, got severely burned by them?

What happens if there are fires going around and some huge fight breaks out and she accidentally gets pushed into the fire? Would you be cool with that?

Archived