Well, at least MD fans are consistent

First of all, Duke fans have had bonfires after games.. no different than the MD frat kids burning stuff.

Second of all, of the 27 arrested.. the majority were not students. After the National Championship, I believe 40 were arrested... and zero were students.

Third of all, 1500 kids emptied out the bars after the win, onto Route 1. The Police took precautionary steps to avoid anything larger potentially happening... and yes, I agree it is pathetic that those steps have to be taken... that said, the Police still overreacted. The kids were happy, and were just outside the bars... no reason for the response shown by the Police.

One person threw an empty water bottle at Brand's mother years ago, so the majority of MD fans are unclassy right?

Ohh, right... MD fans are not classy because they have chanted FU JJ, or FU Scheyer..... they would be more 'sophisticated' if they chanted things like 'HIV' (to Dixon in reference to his parents), 'Crackhead' (to Strawberry, in reference to his dad), or the constant racist references on their message boards about Vasquez.

Or maybe, these are all examples of extremes taken by a very small minority?

There are dumb fans in every fan-base, Maryland's included, but the talk about MD's fans being classless have always been overstated.

Well said, of course a Duke education makes you above all this.

By the way, it was Boozers mom, and if she acted the way she did at any oposing school she would of got it. Duke included.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, Duke fans have had bonfires after games.. no different than the MD frat kids burning stuff.

Second of all, of the 27 arrested.. the majority were not students. After the National Championship, I believe 40 were arrested... and zero were students.

Third of all, 1500 kids emptied out the bars after the win, onto Route 1. The Police took precautionary steps to avoid anything larger potentially happening... and yes, I agree it is pathetic that those steps have to be taken... that said, the Police still overreacted. The kids were happy, and were just outside the bars... no reason for the response shown by the Police.

One person threw an empty water bottle at Brand's mother years ago, so the majority of MD fans are unclassy right?

Ohh, right... MD fans are not classy because they have chanted FU JJ, or FU Scheyer..... they would be more 'sophisticated' if they chanted things like 'HIV' (to Dixon in reference to his parents), 'Crackhead' (to Strawberry, in reference to his dad), or the constant racist references on their message boards about Vasquez.

Or maybe, these are all examples of extremes taken by a very small minority?

There are dumb fans in every fan-base, Maryland's included, but the talk about MD's fans being classless have always been overstated.

You notice I have said anything about the Fu chants. They are classless but they happen everywhere, so whatever.

It is PATHETIC that they feel they have to riot and resort to burning things when they win/lose...When did UMD move to Detroit?

8:50 p.m. "F--- you, Scheyer!" The chant cascades down from the near-vertical wall of seats that serves as the linchpin of Maryland's student section. The vibe is noticeably different than it was just five minutes ago during the ceremony honoring Maryland's four seniors and their families, complete with framed jerseys and half-court hugs with coach Gary Williams.

But, then, this is Maryland, the only visiting arena where Scheyer won't let his mother travel -- and that was a decision he made before ever setting foot on Duke's campus. He was fully aware of the Terps' hostile history with Duke, and tonight will be no different. A quick glance through the crowd shows dozens of Scheyer faces pasted on posterboard signs, Maryland's traditional homage to his unusual facial expressions. Another placard depicts Scheyer with his finger in his nose along with the message "Pick a winner."

Scheyer claims he doesn't notice the pictures or the taunts, but his father does. Jim Scheyer has made the trip to Maryland without his wife and is left shaking his head. "It's something he loves doing, so I'm happy for him that he can be in these situations," Jim says. "But I think it's shameful that he can't feel comfortable that she'll be safe here or won't have to see and hear those things about her son."

gotten from the maryland message board...this is too funny.:laughlol:

Setting bonfires on public or university property is unacceptable, whether it's your own couch or someone else's car. It's dangerous, and you should and will get arrested for it. I can't even believe I've seen two or three people argue to the contrary.

We aren't talking about some field out in the middle of nowhere or a beach miles away from the nearest property. And when the cops and fire department show up they aren't going to stand around and ask whether someone volunteered the kindling.

Duke's fans are incredibly obnoxious in their own way, and I'm sure they've destroyed some things, too, but the argument that bonfires are okay is just taking the MD-defense too far IMO.

Don't really see the humor. It's pretty sad that the fans are so disrespectful that a player is uncomfortable having his mother at a game.

This is way overblown... fans on the opposing team should be very comfortable going to a college arena... especially somewhere like Maryland. What's the worst that could happen, hearing chants about her son?

After watching the two videos I can see how classy the duke fans are. I guess to deflect attention from the fact that your team lost the night before, you have to try and say how unclassy the fans of the other team are. Because we all know duke has the classiest fans. Just watch the videos and you will see.

After watching the two videos I can see how classy the duke fans are. I guess to deflect attention from the fact that your team lost the night before, you have to try and say how unclassy the fans of the other team are. Because we all know duke has the classiest fans. Just watch the videos and you will see.

Didn't you already know that Duke is holier than everyone? It's a well known fact that Maryland students are thoughtless rioting pigs, while Duke students are composed, sensible, gentleman and ladies.

Duke fans always behave appropriately and know the correct way of doing things in any situation that may occur during a college basketball season.

Archived