Well, at least MD fans are consistent

This is an unfair thing to say. If that is true, then you have an unhealthy obsession with the Tar Heels, Yankees, Red Sox and Steelers.

Duke is historically the best team in the ACC, and MD fans are going to have an inferiority complex when it comes to them the same way O's fans feel about the Sox and Yankees, and the Ravens fans feel about the Steelers.

O's & Ravens fans may not riot when they beat their rivals but the desire to beat those teams just as badly as Duke is there.

It's funny, because you're a Duke fan but also an O's fan. Those are 2 teams that are on opposite sides of the success spectrum and yet you act as if you don't understand the desire and excitement of beating the top teams in your division when it comes to Maryland basketball.

To not be obsessed with beating the better teams is to not care.

Um, no.

Good debate everyone. My two cents for what it's worth, at Carolina, they do an organized bonfire when we beat Duke..Why, who the heck knows, but it's tradition. It doesn't really make much sense, but it's an understood rite of passage..

The "FU" chants bother me much more, it just doesn't come off nicely on TV, regardless of the school it's taking place at. The "you suck" chant was original and harmless in my opinion, it was a fun thing the Terps students did, and I always enjoyed it when I went to games..

The worst fan behavior EVER was at Arizona State back in the 80s, when they chanted PLO at Steve Kerr after his father was assasinated in Beruit. What happens/happened at Maryland is nothing more than most schools I'd imagine.

As for the Terps fans obsession with Duke, It's all in the last 10-15 years or so, but it's been a good rivalry over that time, no question. It was always Carolina that everyone hated forever..I'm glad it's turned to Duke.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the FU Chants, I think that is embarassing. My boss has season tickets and took his son to the game and he spent the whole night deflecting questions of what they were chanting. Needless to say he was not happy. I think you have to put it on the schools, not going to single MD out here cause its a growing problem everywhere, to stop this. I love college basketball because teams and kids play so much harder than the NBA and things like this need to handled better at all schools (Duke included)

Agreed,. Jeff Barker of the Sun checked into it and as usual, the weak Maryland administration hid behind the easy "we can't do anything about it because of free speech," crap. Until the University takes action by ejecting students from the game who participate in F-you chants and barring them from getting tickets in the future, they will continue.

Agreed,. Jeff Barker of the Sun checked into it and as usual, the weak Maryland administration hid behind the easy "we can't do anything about it because of free speech," crap. Until the University takes action by ejecting students from the game who participate in F-you chants and barring them from getting tickets in the future, they will continue.

If they started doing that, there WOULD be a whole "free speech" issue. And not just the students: media would pick it up, possibly lawyers, possibly even the General Assembly.

Remember the debate over the adult film that was going to be shown at the campus last year? The school got a lot of bad press over that from both sides of the issue, so with something like this they have absolutely no way of winning. Either they anger the groups that feels obscenity has no place on a college campus and risk losing some alumni or public funding, or they anger the students and risk having prospective students discouraged from attending.

It's not as simple as it's being made out to be.

I gotta think Jeff Barker is just making that up or maybe he's just an awful reporter.

The Administration did a lot of stuff to stop students from using vulgar chants the first time around after the JJ chants. They had Gary get on the mike before games and ask them not to do vulgar chants, had the whole stupid "Act Like You Know" campaign, and included messages in all the ticket-system emails. They really can't do much more.

You can't kick out the entire student section. Before, Gary asked us to stop using vulgar chants and we did. Its really that easy. I don't think there will be any more like the Scheyer one, and I'm not really sure why they even were doing that.

If I were a MD taxpayer one of the absolute last things I would want would be UMD in court defending itself against First Amendment claims for kicking some kids out of a basketball game for using the F-word, but maybe that's just me.

I'm not saying they'd lose necessarily, but unlike a case involving a private college, the case would go the distance and not immediately get thrown out of court.

You can't kick out the entire student section. Before, Gary asked us to stop using vulgar chants and we did. Its really that easy. I don't think there will be any more like the Scheyer one, and I'm not really sure why they even were doing that.

I think it's like what was being said about the "rioting". A bunch of kids heard what happened when J.J. Redick was playing for Duke, so they decided to pick someone to do that to. Scheyer was the obvious choice, even though he is no J.J. Redick, at least in personality from what I see.

It's more proof that the students just aren't as good as we were at CP :P

Blah blah blah.

You have no dog in this fight. You're not a Duke fan. You are a Duke Basketball fan. Completely different. Stick to basketball.

Yes they do, there is u tube videos of the Dukies burning benchs on campus after a win, granted I dont know if it is NC. Yet when the Dukies do it it is just college kids having fun.

If you watch videos of what happened, it started out as kids leaving the Corner Stone, and having fun, a kid climbed the stop light pole and that is where the cops came in. I feel they were a little over the top ( cops). The wood shampoos were notwarrented.

As far as the vulgar chants go, you don't tell the kids they can't curse. You convince them to not want to curse. Convince them to take pride in how they represent themselves and their school.

Be relentless in changing that culture. Have Gary speak (again and again if necessary). Have players speak (again and again if necessary).

As Tony said, some recruits and their parents will be put off by fan behavior. Tell that to the student body. Remind the student body. Remind them again. Eventually, they'll start policing themselves and will take pride in bringing the kind of energy that was there on Wednesday without the vulgarity.

The only reason this is getting classified as a "riot" is because riot police were there. To me it looks like a celebration that was escalated because of the police presence. I mean really, did the police really need to start firing bean bags and pepper spray because kids wanted to celebrate along route 1 at midnight on a Wednesday after a huge emotional win? The bars were full and kids wanted to celebrate - where else are they going to go - cut them some slack. The cops should focus on the idiots.

Check out this video:

Seems to me the police went way too far after a group of kids took down a no parking sign and some idiot climbed the traffic light. Also, pay close attention to what happens at the 8:10 mark - police brutality?

Good video. I actually saw a quick clip of myself. Haha

That video shows what happened pretty well. It was freaking dancing and celebrating in the streets because we beat Dook. The riot police showed up and THEN things got out of hand.

Oh, and the police took it upon themselves to personally beat whoever they could get their hands on. I watched a kid, standing still, by the brick wall by Ratsie's have a cop walk up to him and wail him in the chest with his baton. When the kid feel to the ground, 2 or 3 officers walked up to him and 1 began laying into him with the baton. Police brutality much?

If the cops don't show up, I bet this is never news. However, now the next time MD has a big win (if it's in the next year or two), the police are gonna have much bigger problems. Now they have pissed off students who aren't gonna settle for just celebrating peacefully, like they tried the first time.

You can call me a radical student if you want (for the record, I was 100% sober and the only part I had in the "riot" was walking into the crowd and filming as much of the night as possible on my phone) but the police overplayed their hand on this one.

Watching that video posted.. I'm wondering if this is the best use of a ton of PG Count police officers.

Because their certainly seemed to be a ton of them. And anyone who lives in PG County should know that they could be used for far greater purposes.

As for the topic.. I hate when MD fans make us normal fans look stupid.

Then again, I guess alcohol really makes anyone stupid.

If the parents really cared about the vulgairty, and other things, their kid would probably be sent to BYU.

BYU students are really good at the f-bomb, just ask the kids at Utah. I covered the WAC as a journalist before they moved into the Mountain West.

Rivals get carried away in college sports, it is an unfortunate part of the landscape of our culture.

-Don

As far as the vulgar chants go, you don't tell the kids they can't curse. You convince them to not want to curse. Convince them to take pride in how they represent themselves and their school.

Be relentless in changing that culture. Have Gary speak (again and again if necessary). Have players speak (again and again if necessary).

As Tony said, some recruits and their parents will be put off by fan behavior. Tell that to the student body. Remind the student body. Remind them again. Eventually, they'll start policing themselves and will take pride in bringing the kind of energy that was there on Wednesday without the vulgarity.

This is really a good point. I'm just amazed that the students don't have more pride and actually take their vulgar behavior as a badge of honor. Gary Williams has asked them to stop, according to Mackus the University has tried as well. Apparently there is something down there in the culture that makes them believe this type of public behavior is not only acceptable, but something to take pride in as part of the "student experience."

As others have pointed out, this is not just a Maryland issue, and of course I'm focusing on Maryland because they are "my team." I just wish some strong student leaders would lead the charge to end this behavior.

This is really a good point. I'm just amazed that the students don't have more pride and actually take their vulgar behavior as a badge of honor. Gary Williams has asked them to stop, according to Mackus the University has tried as well. Apparently there is something down there in the culture that makes them believe this type of public behavior is not only acceptable, but something to take pride in as part of the "student experience."

As others have pointed out, this is not just a Maryland issue, and of course I'm focusing on Maryland because they are "my team." I just wish some strong student leaders would lead the charge to end this behavior.

That's what gets to me as well..I read on here all the time how Red Sox/Steelers fans have "no class" according to so many, yet shouting "FU Scheyer" on national TV is not only ok, it's "cool". I don't know, just seems a tad hypocritical, especially when, like Tony said above, they've been asked by the school and Coach Williams NOT to do it.

The other thread got closed right as I was making my post so I got to put it here. First, with regards to the "classless" nature of our fans. What goes on at MD is no different than what goes on most every other university in America. I watch a lot of basketball and I hear a lot of naughty chants coming from the stands when a bad call is made or an opposing player taunts, fouls hard, etc. I've already seen stuff fly from the stands onto the court twice this year in the WV-Pitt and Kentucky-Miss St game. There is often fires, looting, arrests after big wins at universities and at pro sporting events as well. Obviously, that doesn't make any of this any more acceptable. I just hate the notion that MD is "Classless U" and that we are worse than other schools. It's simply not true.

Second, in the other thread I hear this inferiority complex being thrown out there again. First, let me say that as a Maryland area sports fan I have no inferiority complex. Others might, but I don't. It's on a fan to fan basis. Nothing makes me angrier than to see a fanbase feel sorry for themselves and be paranoid. To say all fans of one sports team has a complex is incorrect. Just like with the whole classless thing above though, it's not an uncommon thing. You could go to most team message boards around the country and your gonna hear certain fans complaining about a lack of respect for their team.

Again, my problem is the notion that these things are more common in this area and what's worse is the people who accept it and revel in it. There are people out there who now take pride in being from "Thug U" and or being paranoid Baltimore sports fans.

Archived