Well, at least MD fans are consistent

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the tail end of this from a distance.

I was on the chapel field about 100 yards away from route 1 at the tail end of the "riot". From what I have heard from others, the celebration was originally just dancing and cheering in the streets... harmless. When the police showed up in riot gear, it sorta escalated. One kid I know even got pepper sprayed for being in line for a bar. I have heard stories of the cops beating the crap out of kids with night sticks. After I saw the riot police show up banging on their shields, I knew that even though I was at a distance, it was time to leave. So I was walking through the mall to get back to my dorm and I saw that kid were lighting a few trashcans on fire. So from about 100 yards away again, I watched a bunch of kids dance and cheer around some stupid trashcan fire that they had evidently lit. So stupid and unnecessary.

I guess I can understand wanting to celebrate in the street but, when you start lighting stuff on fire and taking down signs, it just gets downright stupid. There are many better ways to celebrate a win like this.

Here is my take on the riot thing:

I would never ever willfully destroy any property and I think it's absolutley foolish to do so. Anyone that gets caught doing this should be properly punished.

That being said, I've witnessed first hand over the years the police taking certain liberties during these exercises. I'm not saying that's bad as they have every right to show extra caution but when I read an article that says almost 30 people were arrested, I'd be skeptical that they were all doing something inhuman.

I saw the tail end of this from a distance.

I was on the chapel field about 100 yards away from route 1 at the tail end of the "riot". From what I have heard from others, the celebration was originally just dancing and cheering in the streets... harmless. When the police showed up in riot gear, it sorta escalated. One kid I know even got pepper sprayed for being in line for a bar. I have heard stories of the cops beating the crap out of kids with night sticks. After I saw the riot police show up banging on their shields, I knew that even though I was at a distance, it was time to leave. So I was walking through the mall to get back to my dorm and I saw that kid were lighting a few trashcans on fire. So from about 100 yards away again, I watched a bunch of kids dance and cheer around some stupid trashcan fire that they had evidently lit. So stupid and unnecessary.

I guess I can understand wanting to celebrate in the street but, when you start lighting stuff on fire and taking down signs, it just gets downright stupid. There are many better ways to celebrate a win like this.

Exactly...And let's face it...its just a regular season win. Its not even that big of a deal.

For all the people on here that wanted the chant of "not our rival", i find it hilarious that when you do beat Duke, MD fans decide that burning things down and destroying property is the way to celebrate.

For all the crap you guys like to give to the Duke fans(and I agree many of them do suck), at least they don't do stuff like this.

This is freaking pathetic and happens way too often at MD...i don't know why it seems to happy there more often than others but really, to even remotely attempt to justify it is just as pathetic as actually doing it.

The celebrating in the streets, storming the court, etc...That's all good.

But this type of thing? As often as it happens? Horrible.

For all the crap you guys like to give to the Duke fans(and I agree many of them do suck), at least they don't do stuff like this.

This is freaking pathetic and happens way too often at MD...i don't know why it seems to happy there more often than others but really, to even remotely attempt to justify it is just as pathetic as actually doing it.

The celebrating in the streets, storming the court, etc...That's all good.

But this type of thing? As often as it happens? Horrible.

It's all about image. When we first rioted back in 2001 it was covered all over the news. Other schools tried to copy it but we were always seen as the "bad fans." For whatever reason that image has stuck and people down there try to "live up to it."

I personally think it's ridiculous. I spent every big win celebrating down on Rt. 1 but I'll be damned if I destroyed anything or lit anything on fire.

Also, alcohol plays a large role I'm sure.

Duke is definitely our #1 rival (maybe #2 behind UVA). I would say that we are probably Duke's #2 rival as well after UNC. Maybe NC State and maybe Wake are ahead.
Duke is definitely the team that Maryland takes the most joy in beating.

I have zero problems with the light-hearted rioting. Even stuff like burning your own couch or mattress in the middle of the street, that's fun.

I hate it when crap happens like messing with people's cars, the city trash cans, and the worst was after the championship when people broke the window to the bike shop. There is no place for that.

But when it stays civil, its the greatest. Bonfires in the street are fine, IMO, as long as it's not anyone who didn't volunteer the kindling. I think they should block off Rt 1 for a couple hours after games like these.

Maybe its different for people who just randomly decide to like a school, rather than grow up with it and attend there. Its probably more like rooting for a pro team, I'd never riot for the Ravens, but I'd have been on Rt 1 having a great time with a couple thousand great people if I was still a student last night. Its different when you are a part of it, and the students are a part of it. Just don't destroy anything that isn't yours.

I have zero problems with the light-hearted rioting. Even stuff like burning your own couch or mattress in the middle of the street, that's fun.

I hate it when crap happens like messing with people's cars, the city trash cans, and the worst was after the championship when people broke the window to the bike shop. There is no place for that.

But when it stays civil, its the greatest. Bonfires in the street are fine, IMO, as long as it's not anyone who didn't volunteer the kindling. I think they should block off Rt 1 for a couple hours after games like these.

Maybe its different for people who just randomly decide to like a school, rather than grow up with it and attend there. Its probably more like rooting for a pro team, I'd never riot for the Ravens, but I'd have been on Rt 1 having a great time with a couple thousand great people if I was still a student last night. Its different when you are a part of it, and the students are a part of it. Just don't destroy anything that isn't yours.

Very well said.

I don't think that cops letting people light fires in the streets is realistic, even if it is their own stuff. That being said, I think it would be perfectly fine for them to close down that little section of route 1 so that people could at least go and cheer/dance/whatever in the street.

It's all about image. When we first rioted back in 2001 it was covered all over the news. Other schools tried to copy it but we were always seen as the "bad fans." For whatever reason that image has stuck and people down there try to "live up to it."

I personally think it's ridiculous. I spent every big win celebrating down on Rt. 1 but I'll be damned if I destroyed anything or lit anything on fire.

Also, alcohol plays a large role I'm sure.

No doubt...But what wonder is if they will start banning alcohol at the games.

And lighting fires in the street may be fun but all it takes is one dumbass to throw something in there he shouldn't and the blaze gets ignited and then, lots of things could happen.

No doubt...But what wonder is if they will start banning alcohol at the games.

And lighting fires in the street may be fun but all it takes is one dumbass to throw something in there he shouldn't and the blaze gets ignited and then, lots of things could happen.

Alcohol is not allowed in arenas/stadiums on college campuses.

However, it's so insanely easy to sneak a flask in...maybe they need to crack down on that. Still, the majority of rioters aren't even at the game. They sit in their rooms and drink and head to Rt 1 when it's over.

I find it interesting that comparing and bashing opposing fan bases is something for fans to badger other fans about. Especially in a case like this when the fans on the hangout being antagonized had nothing to do with what happened.

It's like ha, my school that I didn't go to or have any connection with is better than your school because our fans don't do dumb stuff like your schools fan do. Who cares?

Yes, the MD fans shouldn't riot like this, but that's not a reason for opposing fans to razz us imo.

Archived