Can you win with all defense and no offense SS?

NoVaO

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think this is accurate. Aybar is a valuable player, and Wilson would be if he weren't so egregiously overpaid. It might not be easier to find a .300/30 HR guy, but it's probably easier to find a potential Cust/Pena type.

Readily available shortstops? You're getting into Neifi/Deivi territory.

Jack Wilson is a proven/premier defensive SS and he's considered significntly overpaid at 6.5 mil a year (less than half of what Tejada makes). He hits about .270. The Pirates want to dump him and would probably pick up some of his contract to do so. Aybar is a C+/B prospect at best. Considered a good defense-fair hit type guy. Buried down 3 levels on the SS chart. Might not be any better than LH. Eckstein is a good SS and will probably get no more than 4-5 mil this offseason as a FA. Adam Everet (another premier defensive guy) will probably be released. Other guys like Josh Wilson could be had pretty cheaply and guys like him arent hard to find.

As far as the other question from the other poster as to why LH is our best SS prospect, well why don't we have any good ML ready prospects.

It doesn't hurt us to give LH a shot in 2008. We're not going anywhere. He'll at least help stabilize the pitching staff and we'll have a realistic evaluation of what he can do. There will be plenty of other defensive SS's to go around in 2009 if he doesn't work out in 2008.

It took Wilson into his 4th MLB season to show any real success, and that was at the age of 27. If he wasn't playing in Pittsburgh, he likely wouldn't have made it into his 4th season to acheive that success. I'm not advocating LH should be our starting SS next season, merely that he'll be as good an option as Wilson all things considered.

It took Wilson into his 4th MLB season to show any real success, and that was at the age of 27. If he wasn't playing in Pittsburgh, he likely wouldn't have made it into his 4th season to acheive that success. I'm not advocating LH should be our starting SS next season, merely that he'll be as good an option as Wilson all things considered.

Who cares if one man's garbage is better than anothers...It is still garbage.

2. What were the Braves thinking? LH was one of their very top prospects through 2005. In his 2002-2005 MiL seasons, he never hit worth a damn either. But the vaunted ATL organization sure loved him despite those numbers. The O's got him because ATL decided not to protect him (just like CLE with Gurthrie), so evidently their opinion changed. But prior to that they were certainly very high on him. Why? Were they nuts? Did they perhaps have a view that maybe OPS is not everything? Or what?

I wouldn't say he was one of their very best prospects in 05 (actually, it was after 04). He was rated #7 by BA...

Um, what would you say if I was comparing the quality of the ATL system to that of the O's? ;-)

Besides, that doesn't really answer the question. The Braves *were* high on him, despite his numbers. What were *they* thinking?

Besides, that doesn't really answer the question. The Braves *were* high on him, despite his numbers. What were *they* thinking?

The answer to your question is in the next couple paragraphs:

They liked him because he was a plus defensive shortstop. He was young for his league in 04. But he has failed to develop any sort of plate discipline and power as he has advanced up to AA. Other guys past him on their depth chart and he was viewed as expendable. I don't think the Braves would ever consider making him thier starting SS.

The answer to your question is in the next couple paragraphs:
They liked him because he was a plus defensive shortstop. He was young for his league in 04. But he has failed to develop any sort of plate discipline and power as he has advanced up to AA. Other guys past him on their depth chart and he was viewed as expendable. I don't think the Braves would ever consider making him thier starting SS.

Sorry, but you didn't say where that quote came from. Which guy in the ATL organization were you quoting? Or was it some other organization's scout? Or were you just making it up? If you were just making it up, and pretending it's a fact, what was your basis for concluding that? Do you have anything to go on?

Sorry, but you didn't say where that quote came from. Which guy in the ATL organization were you quoting? Or was it some other organization's scout? Or were you just making it up? If you were just making it up, and pretending it's a fact, what was your basis for concluding that? Do you have anything to go on?

What quote do you have that the Braves were very high on him?

Do you not think that over the course of a few years, that an organization can change their mind on a player?

Archived