Cameron Coffey Expectations

EL_Coyote

I'll have more in a spring training report that I plan to put together tonight but I've heard that Coffey is throwing well and that his name is actually being mentioned when it comes to candidates for the Delmarva rotation.

I would be pleasently shocked if Coffey made a full season club just a little more than year after TJ surgery, but I still think he'll end up starting at Bluefield or Aberdeen.

It's great to hear though that he's throwing good enough for some consideration.

That's great. From Doc's reports, it sounds like Hobgood is throwing real well also. Last year's draft may turn out to have been a great one, despite all the criticism we've heard of the Hobgood pick.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll have more in a spring training report that I plan to put together tonight but I've heard that Coffey is throwing well and that his name is actually being mentioned when it comes to candidates for the Delmarva rotation.

I would be pleasently shocked if Coffey made a full season club just a little more than year after TJ surgery, but I still think he'll end up starting at Bluefield or Aberdeen.

It's great to hear though that he's throwing good enough for some consideration.

Wow. "Pleasantly shocked" would describe me too--shocked not on account of talent and potential but because he is that far along after the surgery.

In fact, even without considering the surgery... Full-season ball in the year after HS would be significant.

In any case, great to hear that he is throwing so well.

That's great. From Doc's reports, it sounds like Hobgood is throwing real well also. Last year's draft may turn out to have been a great one, despite all the criticism we've heard of the Hobgood pick.

We certainly drafted some guys with potential. It's really hard to knock Jordan on the pitching he seems to find. On the other hand, if Matzek becomes what some here think he can become...

Well, let's just say that no matter who we picked with our #9 pick in 2006 (purposefully NOT comparing Hobgood to the other player), all of us would have probably rather had Lincecum.

I'd worry about throwing Coffey into a full year club rotation this soon after surgery. I'd rather they build him up gradually and play him in-say-Aberdeen.That's the most advanced half-season team.

If he does well there, then move him up to Delmarva. That way you don't overwork him with a lot of innings, but you still give him a chance to face some tougher competition at season's end.

With the great pitching depth this team now has at the upper levels, you don't have to rush this kid.

I'd worry about throwing Coffey into a full year club rotation this soon after surgery. I'd rather they build him up gradually and play him in-say-Aberdeen.That's the most advanced half-season team.

If he does well there, then move him up to Delmarva. The way you don't overwork him with a lot of innings, but you still give him a chance to face some tougher competition at season's end.

That's how I would lean as well, especially considering the fact that we expected to have plenty of bodies to fill Delmarva's rotation. But, how everyone is throwing in spring training counts, too. We shall see. :D

I'm not saying I want to rush him, but some reports have him as our best pitching prospect after Hobgood and the established guys like Erbe and Britton. If he's healthy, I'd just assume let him pitch against the appropriate competition, just focused on pitch counts and innings. I'd rather dial him back at Delmarva than pitch against somewhat lesser competition, if that's not where he belongs.

Either way, I'm sure I'll be fine with whatever decision is made and I'm equally sure the O's brass will do everything they can to protect his arm.

If he does well there, then move him up to Delmarva. That way you don't overwork him with a lot of innings, but you still give him a chance to face some tougher competition at season's end.

With the great pitching depth this team now has at the upper levels, you don't have to rush this kid.

I'm not saying I want to rush him, but some reports have him as our best pitching prospect after Hobgood and the established guys like Erbe and Britton. If he's healthy, I'd just assume let him pitch against the appropriate competition, just focused on pitch counts and innings. I'd rather dial him back at Delmarva than pitch against somewhat lesser competition, if that's not where he belongs.

Either way, I'm sure I'll be fine with whatever decision is made and I'm equally sure the O's brass will do everything they can to protect his arm.

No matter where Coffey starts, I'd expect the O's to be careful with him. I'd guess he'll throw < 100 innings and have a 75-pitch limit or so.

Maybe he should start out of the DelMarva bullpen with the idea of moving him into the rotation around June 1 and then shutting him down after a certain number if IP.

This sounds like a pretty good approach. Of course, I am in no position to have any strong opinion since I have absolutely no inside info on Coffey. But conceptually it makes sense to me.

The one thing I don't really worry about is how the Orioles develop their pitchers. Since Dave Schmidt has been here, this organization has done a tremendous job of not rushing their pitchers and bringing back guys from injury the right way.

Whatever the decision that's made with Coffey, I'm sure it's in his best interest. The Orioles in my opinion are one of the premiere drafting and developing organization for pitchers.

Wow, thats great news to hear. He will definitely be a fun arm to follow over the next few years. It will be nice to have this next wave of high ceiling arms in the lower minors with guys like Hobgood, Wirsch, Coffey, Henry, Martin, Fabrizio, Beal, Bundy, Tolliver, and Cowan...

And I look forward to your ST report Tony, I have my fingers crossed on Hobgood and his velocity...

We certainly drafted some guys with potential. It's really hard to knock Jordan on the pitching he seems to find. On the other hand, if Matzek becomes what some here think he can become...

Well, let's just say that no matter who we picked with our #9 pick in 2006 (purposefully NOT comparing Hobgood to the other player), all of us would have probably rather had Lincecum.

I've given my views on the general subject of draft picks a few times, but here it comes again. So long as your first round pick turns into a solid or better major league player, you can't worry about the fact that someone drafted lower turned out to be better. There's almost always going to be somebody better you could have picked. Remember, we weren't the only team that passed on Lincecum, there were 8 teams ahead of us, and most of those teams selected pitchers who have done nothing to date. So, I am much more concerned with Hobgood becoming a good major league pitcher than I am with how Tyler Matzek (or any other highly touted player we could have drafted) performs down the road.

Cameron, your going to do just great! Work hard like you always have but be careful and take it easy and you'll have a FABULOUS comeback! I'm so proud to be able to call you my big-little brother.

i love you so much,

your big sister

shan:D

Well, Tony? You can't make Doc do all the work around here, inquiring minds want to know! :D

Archived