Moore to Norfolk SS, Davis to utility role

tvz1997

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-osnotes0331,0,4526658.story

Gotta say I didn't see this coming. JTrea should rejoice.

It gives the Orioles a potential backup at shortstop with power and it guarantees Moore playing time. With top prospects Brandon Snyder at first base and Josh Bell at third in Triple-A, and Michael Aubrey and Rhyne Hughes, also natural first basemen, on the Tides roster, Moore likely would have been relegated to part-time status.

"I'm excited. I lost a little bit of weight this offseason knowing in the back of my mind [shortstop] was a possibility," Moore said. "I feel good, I feel confident. I definitely don't think it can do anything bad for me. Worst-case scenario, I can't do it; best case, I can. I'm excited about it."

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a good way to turn both Davis and Moore into utility infielders, which is what they'll both need to do to have a big league career. Good decision.

I'm not convinced Moore can be an above average fielder at SS, but it's worth a shot and I don't believe he will harm the progress of any of our pitchers playing there.

Cue the daily threads about how Moore should be on the team instead of Andino, and starting at SS if it weren't for DT hating him.:rolleyes:

Well, at least we'll know whether he can do it or not. I just hope it's not at the expense of Tillman and company. I hope he can though...

I believe it was Tony that said Davis had a bad camp...

Nothing to lose here really. If Moore can show that he can play effectively at shortstop then he increases his utility value. I don't think he'll be able to do it for any length of time, but I hope I'm wrong. Davis has played himself into an organizational player so Moore is not blocking anyone.

Well, at least we'll know whether he can do it or not. I just hope it's not at the expense of Tillman and company. I hope he can though...

I believe it was Tony that said Davis had a bad camp...

True. I guess if we really want to see how he'll handle SS, move him to AA and let him play SS for Britton.:D

Interesting. I'm trying to remember the last time anybody was moved to SS at this age and this stage of his pro career.

Moore has played six games at short since 2002--when he was 18 years old.

This is really being done because he has no where to play since 1B and 3B are filled with better prospects. Since Blake Davis was the only other real choice at SS, why not give him a shot. I'm pretty certain it won't take long for them to realize he's not a shortstop though, but I hope he does well.

This should have happened in ST.

I'm glad to see it happen now, but Andino didn't do much to keep the role that he has other than the fact he can play SS.

Moore has never really had an extended chance to prove he can play there. He's lost some weight and supposedly is quicker, so it's worth seeing what he can do there.

This should have happened in ST.

I'm glad to see it happen now, but Andino didn't do much to keep the role that he has other than the fact he can play SS.

Moore has never really had an extended chance to prove he can play there.

Yeah, why should the backup SS know how to play SS.:rofl:

Nothing to lose here really. If Moore can show that he can play effectively at shortstop then he increases his utility value. I don't think he'll be able to do it for any length of time, but I hope I'm wrong. Davis has played himself into an organizational player so Moore is not blocking anyone.

Right, and really - how else would he get atbats in AAA - when Bell's playing 3B? Luckily, everyone here is smart enough to realize he's not auditioning to be the O's SS of the future - this move can make him a more valuable utility infielder.

Whatever one might think of any individual personnel decision (and it seems that the Moore to SS move is pretty popular here, and I like it too), you have to concede that inertia is no longer the problem that it seemed to be – dating back, in my mind, to the era preceding the day that Jay Gibbons was released to make room on the roster for, who else, Scott Moore!

Here are some of the surprising things that have changed since the beginning of ST:

- Tillman loses his spot in the rotation.

- Mickolio loses out in the bullpen chase not only to Albers, but also to Berken.

- Tatum displaces Moeller despite being vastly worse in his hitting.

- Scott sees substantial playing time at 1B.

- The corner IF logjam at AAA is erased through complete and entirely logical creativity: Moore to SS; Hughes to LF; Aubrey, apparently, to DH.

- Jonathan Tucker gets on the radar screen – in what particular role this year remains to be seen.

If you took things for granted, in many cases it turned out you were wrong. I expect the surprises to keep coming (which I suppose would no longer qualify them as surprises). IMO, that’s a good thing. Jobs will continue to be won or lost based on performance, probably even within season – which is healthy for the players to know, whether an incumbent at a position or on the outside looking in.

Archived