Moore to Norfolk SS, Davis to utility role

tvz1997

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatever one might think of any individual personnel decision (and it seems that the Moore to SS move is pretty popular here, and I like it too), you have to concede that inertia is no longer the problem that it seemed to be – dating back, in my mind, to the era preceding the day that Jay Gibbons was released to make room on the roster for, who else, Scott Moore!

Here are some of the surprising things that have changed since the beginning of ST:

- Tillman loses his spot in the rotation.

- Mickolio loses out in the bullpen chase not only to Albers, but also to Berken.

- Tatum displaces Moeller despite being vastly worse in his hitting.

- Scott sees substantial playing time at 1B.

- The corner IF logjam at AAA is erased through complete and entirely logical creativity: Moore to SS; Hughes to LF; Aubrey, apparently, to DH.

- Jonathan Tucker gets on the radar screen – in what particular role this year remains to be seen.

If you took things for granted, in many cases it turned out you were wrong. I expect the surprises to keep coming (which I suppose would no longer qualify them as surprises). IMO, that’s a good thing. Jobs will continue to be won or lost based on performance, probably even within season – which is healthy for the players to know, whether an incumbent at a position or on the outside looking in.

And the reason for most of this is obviously better players - they have options.

What backup SS are different? If they could hit at all, they would be starting somewhere.

The whole point is the Orioles had a chance to have not only a backup SS, but one position to backup multiple positions and be able to be a decent offensive player as well as defensive at each one. But they never gave Moore or Turner for that matter, a chance to show they could be a capable SS.

Andino really was the only one to get those reps.

The whole point is the Orioles had a chance to have not only a backup SS, but one position to backup multiple positions and be able to be a decent offensive player as well as defensive at each one.

You mean if Moore could have turned into a ML caliber SS in 6 weeks after not playing there since 2002?

The whole point is the Orioles had a chance to have not only a backup SS, but one position to backup multiple positions and be able to be a decent offensive player as well as defensive at each one.

They still do. Let him prove it at AAA. He's going to dominate, right? Riiiiiiiight?

And the reason for most of this is obviously better players - they have options.
It goes beyond better players, IMO. The current regime, to it credit, seems more willing to go against the grain than the prior one. The Moore to SS move is only the latest example.

It goes beyond better players, IMO. The current regime, to it credit, seems more willing to go against the grain than the prior one. The Moore to SS move is only the latest example.

I don't think anything you listed really goes against any sort of grain - it all seems perfectly logical to me. Moeller can't throw, pick a catcher who can throw. Tillman doesn't show command, pick a guy who improved. You have 5 corner IF's at AAA, move them around.

The whole point is the Orioles had a chance to have not only a backup SS, but one position to backup multiple positions and be able to be a decent offensive player as well as defensive at each one. But they never gave Moore or Turner for that matter, a chance to show they could be a capable SS.

Andino really was the only one to get those reps.

I'm among the biggest Moore boosters here -- one of the few issues on which I have some inclination in your direction. Having said that, today is a time for celebration, not complaint. Moore will now have a very full opportunity to develop his skills and demonstrate his capabilities at a level that's appropriate for him. If he's as good as you think he is, and as good as I hope he is, that will become clear by the end of the year. No need to get on the ledge over this one, Trea.

I don't think anything you listed really goes against any sort of grain - it all seems perfectly logical to me. Moeller can't throw, pick a catcher who can throw. Tillman doesn't show command, pick a guy who improved. You have 5 corner IF's at AAA, move them around.
Well, in that case, I'm pleased they're doing perfectly logical things. ;)

I'm among the biggest Moore boosters here -- one of the few issues on which I have some inclination in your direction. Having said that, today is a time for celebration, not complaint. Moore will now have a very full opportunity to develop his skills and demonstrate his capabilities at a level that's appropriate for him. If he's as good as you think he is, and as good as I hope he is, that will become clear by the end of the year. No need to get on the ledge over this one, Trea.

True, congrats to Scott and I hope he finally has an injury free year where he can showcase his talent. He's certainly been snakebitten enough...

True, congrats to Scott and I hope he finally has an injury free year where he can showcase his talent. He's certainly been snakebitten enough...
Ironically, probably second in snakebittenness to the guy who was traded for Andino, whom you want Moore to supplant. Anyway, I agree. He needs an injury-free year; and the club needs to find out what, if anything, he can offer them going forward.

I'm not going to make this a big thing, but I must respond to you to at least correct what you're saying. Moore and Turner do get reps at short. I've seen it with my own eyes. They just don't get them in the ML games. For good reason.

The fact that you haven't actually watched these guys is showing yet again. I can tell you that I'm a fan of Turner and I don't think he has the range to be a starting 2B, let alone a SS. He is a pretty thick fella, not heavy, just thick. Think a slightly less barrel chested Ty Wigginton. Ty is lighter on his feet than Justin. I watched Justin play second last year for Norfolk when they came to Gwinnett and I've watched him this spring. There is no possible way he could be the utility player who filled in at SS. Just none at all.

Moore is indeed thinner this spring. He looks to be in great cardiovascular shape. Even in his current thin state, he isn't particularly graceful or fluid. I think there is virtually no chance he can handle either the ball up the middle, the ball in the hole, or even the slow roller/chopper that has to be charged. He just doesn't have good enough range or body control. I wish him luck and I think it is more likely now than before, but I just don't see it. I agree with Tony that the experiment will be short lived.

Finally, you continue to make assertions that Moore is a better bat option. I agree that he has better minor league stats, but I think he must have beat up on slower and/or inferior pitchers down there. When I watch him at the plate against decent ML pitchers, he looks overmatched. It looks like reaction time to me rather than bat speed, but I never see the ability to handle a good fastball when I watch him. His form, balance, and eye look good, but he is late A LOT on just decent fastballs. Maybe he is better than I've seen, but he has never done anything to even make me notice him. He seems to always beat up on the MiL starter that the other team brought to mop up. Andino doesn't light me on fire either, but he looks like the hitter more able to do damage against ML stuff.

My 2 cents...

Well I'm glad to hear the two are at least getting some looks there during practice and warmups, but they really could have used some ML playing time.

If Scott could get reps at 1B, Moore or Turner could have had some games at SS. Thanks for the scouting reports though. I'm hoping Moore's training with Anderson will pay off...

I'm not going to make this a big thing, but I must respond to you to at least correct what you're saying. Moore and Turner do get reps at short. I've seen it with my own eyes. They just don't get them in the ML games. For good reason.

The fact that you haven't actually watched these guys is showing yet again. I can tell you that I'm a fan of Turner and I don't think he has the range to be a starting 2B, let alone a SS. He is a pretty thick fella, not heavy, just thick. Think a slightly less barrel chested Ty Wigginton. Ty is lighter on his feet than Justin. I watched Justin play second last year for Norfolk when they came to Gwinnett and I've watched him this spring. There is no possible way he could be the utility player who filled in at SS. Just none at all.

Moore is indeed thinner this spring. He looks to be in great cardiovascular shape. Even in his current thin state, he isn't particularly graceful or fluid. I think there is virtually no chance he can handle either the ball up the middle, the ball in the hole, or even the slow roller/chopper that has to be charged. He just doesn't have good enough range or body control. I wish him luck and I think it is more likely now than before, but I just don't see it. I agree with Tony that the experiment will be short lived.

Finally, you continue to make assertions that Moore is a better bat option. I agree that he has better minor league stats, but I think he must have beat up on slower and/or inferior pitchers down there. When I watch him at the plate against decent ML pitchers, he looks overmatched. It looks like reaction time to me rather than bat speed, but I never see the ability to handle a good fastball when I watch him. His form, balance, and eye look good, but he is late A LOT on just decent fastballs. Maybe he is better than I've seen, but he has never done anything to even make me notice him. He seems to always beat up on the MiL starter that the other team brought to mop up. Andino doesn't light me on fire either, but he looks like the hitter more able to do damage against ML stuff.

My 2 cents...

If these are your 2 cents, we're living in highly deflationary times. Your observations and input are always high-value.

My feeling about the Moore thing is analogous to the idea that there's value to drilling for oil even if it turns out to be a dry hole, if only for the informational value. If he's healthy and has something close to a full year as the Norfolk SS, we should get a pretty good handle on what value he might offer with both the bat and the glove. I think we already know with Davis (which is unfortunate, because I had high hopes for him a couple of years ago -- but he just hasn't progressed).

Archived