Bloody Weekend for top ranked teams...

geschinger

Well that point is true other than the nothing part. My point is also true, and the Big East is the conference that benefits the most in terms of win/loss record, although gets punished by having less interesting matchups.

For some of the lessor bowls, maybe. But for the BCS I think the BEast has an optimal setup. The BEast isn't tied to any particular BCS bowl like the other conferences and therefore they have a better chance at getting an optimal matchup. I.e. this year, getting to go to the Fiesta Bowl. Two years ago getting to play in the Sugar Bowl.

If not for the ridiculous tie-ins it's likely that OU would be in the Orange Bowl or VT would be in the Fiesta Bowl. Instead WVU gets the opportunity to get the more interesting matchup against the best B12 team while VT as the victim of tie-in gets stuck w/the B12s 3rd best team.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For some of the lessor bowls, maybe. But for the BCS I think the BEast has an optimal setup. The BEast isn't tied to any particular BCS bowl like the other conferences and therefore they have a better chance at getting an optimal matchup. I.e. this year, getting to go to the Fiesta Bowl. Two years ago getting to play in the Sugar Bowl.

If not for the ridiculous tie-ins it's likely that OU would be in the Orange Bowl or VT would be in the Fiesta Bowl. Instead WVU gets the opportunity to get the more interesting matchup against the best B12 team while VT as the victim of tie-in gets stuck w/the B12s 3rd best team.

Not sure why you used the words some and maybe. Take out the maybe and say every game other than the BCS bowl, and I agree.

Not sure why you used the words some and maybe. Take out the maybe and say every game other than the BCS bowl, and I agree.

UConn and Cincy didn't get good matchups but unless you think a heck of a lot less of the Pac-10 than I thought you did, I don't know how the Pac-Ten's 4th place team against the Big East's 4th place team equates to a lack of respect. Unless it's your position that the BEast is so strong that their fourth place team should be matched up against teams that finish higher in the larger conferences.

And looking back to last year, is it your position that the Big East could do a lot better than having their runner up getting stuck matched up against the ACC runner up if they were more respected? :)

UConn and Cincy didn't get good matchups but unless you think a heck of a lot less of the Pac-10 than I thought you did, I don't know how the Pac-Ten's 4th place team against the Big East's 4th place team equates to a lack of respect. Unless it's your position that the BEast is so strong that their fourth place team should be matched up against teams that finish higher in the larger conferences.

And looking back to last year, is it your position that the Big East could do a lot better than having their runner up getting stuck matched up against the ACC runner up if they were more respected? :)

Uconn is the Big East's 2nd team, Wake is the ACC's 5th team, so in terms of standings, yes they did get a good matchup.

Cincy was 3rd in the BE, Oregon was 5th in the Pac-10, but besides that, the main reason that matchup is favorable is not the bowl tie-in, it's the loss of Dixon.

I'm just talking about this year.

Uconn is the Big East's 2nd team, Wake is the ACC's 5th team, so in terms of standings, yes they did get a good matchup.

Cincy was 3rd in the BE, Oregon was 5th in the Pac-10, but besides that, the main reason that matchup is favorable is not the bowl tie-in, it's the loss of Dixon.

I'm just talking about this year.

I'm not really clear on how things are decided... The tie-in with the Sun Bowl is actually the Pac-10's #3 team so I'm not entirely sure how Oregon gets to play in it over OSU when the Emerald Nuts Bowl is the Pac-10 #4. But either way, tie-ins are agreed to before anyone knew of Dixon's injury so it's the injury, not some kind of punishment that makes the matchup a lessor one.

I'm not really clear on how things are decided... The tie-in with the Sun Bowl is actually the Pac-10's #3 team so I'm not entirely sure how Oregon gets to play in it over OSU when the Emerald Nuts Bowl is the Pac-10 #4. But either way, tie-ins are agreed to before anyone knew of Dixon's injury so it's the injury, not some kind of punishment that makes the matchup a lessor one.

Same deal as most of the bowl/conference selections work....the Sun Bowl has the #3 pick of Pac-10 teams, but is not obligated to take the #3 team. They can go lower so long as the team they pick finished no more than one game behind the #3 team in the final conference standings. The Sun Bowl chose Oregon over OSU because OSU played there last season and the bowl reps wanted a new team, figuring OSU might not travel as well for a second consecutive year to that vacation mecca known as El Paso, TX.

Same deal as most of the bowl/conference selections work....the Sun Bowl has the #3 pick of Pac-10 teams' date=' but is not obligated to take the #3 team. They can go lower so long as the team they pick finished no more than one game behind the #3 team in the final [i']conference standings[/i]. The Sun Bowl chose Oregon over OSU because OSU played there last season and the bowl reps wanted a new team, figuring OSU might not travel as well for a second consecutive year to that vacation mecca known as El Paso, TX.

I guess it makes sense from a financial aspect but just another roadblock to getting the most compelling matchups possible.

HAHAHA..........HAHAHAHAHA.........:D:D:D;)

USF is getting hammered by Oregon!!!!!!

I though USF was the team that the human polls were screwing over, don't think that will be an issue when the final rankings are released.:)

HAHAHA..........HAHAHAHAHA.........:D:D:D;)

USF is getting hammered by Oregon!!!!!!

I though USF was the team that the human polls were screwing over, don't think that will be an issue when the final rankings are released.:)

The Strangest of things happen in bowl season. It'll be a learning experience and they'll be back stronger, wiser, smarter and better next year.

Michigan beats the defending champs, that means my prediction of them to win the National Title comes true right? ;)

Great win for them! Congrats Coach Carr.

Great win indeed. A good way to cap one era of Michigan football as with the changes that are coming they'll be barely recognizable in future years. It'll be odd seeing the Wolverines running the spread and maybe even a 3-3-5 defense.

I did...big :D

Free money, IMO. I actually got USC at -14 at (+105).

It actually went to 13 about 5 minutes before kickoff. My big score today betting wise was Michigan on the money line at +425. UVA was a killer though, 14 point lead with 5 minutes to go..had them on the money line too.

Archived