MacPhail on 105.7 The Fan at 5:40 PM

brooksie05

I'll be happy when this organization finally realizes what it actually takes to compete in the AL East and actually attempts to do that.

I'm convinced now more than ever that MacPhail has absolutely no clue how to do that.

He honestly thinks his plan will work and doesn't have any idea why it isn't...

How did the Tampa Bay Rays do it?

How do they continue to do it?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^^^^^^^^

||||||||||||

Trea - this type of answer is EXACTLY why people get so upset with you - whether you care about it or not. And posters that don't understand why people get so frustrated with Trea - this lame response HERE is why many of us are so quick to "pile" on Trea - as MemorialStadKid questions. He hijacks just about every thread and spins his arguements - especially when he gets backed into a corner.

GD is right. Maybe it was simply an oversight, but your previous statemant that "If we [Os] had an 11-15 record after this schedule, I'd be pretty impressed" doesn't comport with you know saying that you used the word "impressed" in a sarcastic fashion. If you had said something like, "If we [Os] had an 11-15 record after this offensive showing, I'd be pretty impressed" then I could see the sarcasm. Again, perhaps simply an oversight by you but it's easy to see why people think you're backtracking on your positions when things are left this murky.

I'm not "satisfied" with this team at all really. The "impressed" remark was a sarcastic one, as no way with this pathetic offense would I have expected us to win that many games with this schedule. So rather than "impressed" I guess I should have used "shocked."

So, please respond to my second point. The Mariners spent money this offseason and you obviously like their GM - but yet they are 11-16 and have played a much weaker schedule than the Orioles. Please provide me with excuses for their bad start and why their GM isn't as bad as AM...

IMO The M's could easily be 8-19 at this point in the season if they played in the AL East. And if they had the injuries the O's have had to their starters - they could be sitting at 5-7 wins.

Explain the Rays success.

That's all. Walk me through how they have done it.

Let me guess: They caught lightning in a bottle. (And continue to do so.)

No, no, no... me first!!

Explain to me the M's LACK of success this year.

They spent BIG

But yet they suck.

Please walk ME through what went wrong - and don't get yourself tied into a knot.

Let me guess... the season is still young.

So, please respond to my second point. The Mariners spent money this offseason and you obviously like their GM - but yet they are 11-16 and have played a much weaker schedule than the Orioles. Please provide me with excuses for their bad start and why their GM isn't as bad as AM...

IMO The M's could easily be 8-19 at this point in the season if they played in the AL East. And if they had the injuries the O's have had to their starters - they could be sitting at 5-7 wins.

Go ahead, keep blaming the schedule and the injuries. Their GM did what he felt was neccessary to compete in the AL West which is not the same as what you have to do in the AL East. MacPhail did not set this team up to win games in this division this year. Jack Z did in his and MacPhail is going to need to do more than what Jack Z is doing because he's in a tougher division.

And no, the Mariners aren't in a crisis yet as they are still quite close to the division leader.

And as I've pointed out, the 1996 Orioles were under .500 at the AS Break, yet went on the ALCS.

What would our record be if we had Matt Holliday right now? 9-19? 10-18?

No matter how you cut it we'd still be in the cellar.

But how would our prospects be in 2011?

And would we be looking for a bat in LF next offseason like we likely will be because of the lack of quality OF depth?

It was never about just this year, rather to acquire the pieces you need to compete when they were available.

MacPhail didn't and now he has that much more work to do this offseason...

The Rays are also investing in scouting and development, while the O's are making a half hearted attempt.

The Rays are actually acting like a small market team.

The Orioles are saying they are one even though they aren't but aren't even doing the things they need to do as a small market team to be successful. That's the problem.

He has specifically pointed to their franchise as the model he wants to follow!!!

Tell me another one, please.

I listened to the interview. Basically what MacPhail insinuated was that this was the season that was supposed to be the launching point for buying the remaining necessary pieces. He doesn't have a plan B because this is the only legitimate way to succeed in this division with the powers that be.

Deal with it.

Go ahead, keep blaming the schedule and the injuries.

You go ahead and ignore it :rolleyes:

Their GM did what he felt was neccessary to compete in the AL West which is not the same as what you have to do in the AL East.

So, you are saying their GM was happy to simply win their division. You don't think they wanted to play and win in the playoffs? Don't you think they may have thought... "hmm - we may have to play those Sox or Yankees in the playoffs if we get there." Sounds like a pretty lame GM who just prepares to win his own division.

MacPhail did not set this team up to win games in this division this year.

Nobody said he was trying to win the division.

MacPhail is going to need to do more than what Jack Z is doing because he's in a tougher division.

Or perhaps they are like the 2010 Redsox...

And no, the Mariners aren't in a crisis yet as they are still quite close to the division leader.

I'm heading over to one of their message boards... I'm sure their fans agree with you.

And as I've pointed out, the 1996 Orioles were under .500 at the AS Break, yet went on the ALCS.

I'm still trying to understand the validity of this statement.

And the Mariners are nowhere near as good as the '96 Os. They have two great pitchers in Lee and Hernandez, and then they have a great hitter: Ichiro, a very good one: Figgins, and an above average one: Gutierrez, after that not much. No comparison to the '96 Os whatsoever.

Archived