MacPhail on 105.7 The Fan at 5:40 PM

brooksie05

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Typical, softball questions so far.

Just once I would like to see somebody ask him if he thought added enough offense last offseason...

Nobody really thought the offense was the main issue to be addressed, which is why Tejada and Atkins were signed as "stop-gaps."

Nobody is claiming, either, that the offense was *elite* but it was at least solid average. Look at all the prognostications. If everybody was wrong, can you honestly blame McPhail?

We can still hold him accountable for not answering the long-term need at SS, but beyond that, the criticism of his long-term vision is fairly unwarranted (based on this year's offensive results).

A question was asked about deviating from the plan due to the 7-21 start.

MacPhail said that the plan we are on is the only way he sees that we can compete and he's convinced now more than ever. He said that he wishes that there was a signing or a quick fix that could be made but that it doesn't exist.

Said that the biggest problem we have is consistency. Mentioned how the Yankees have had the same closer in Rivera for years. And that's what we need to do. Also mentioned how that we need to have more depth positional wise as that is what the top organizations have.

He said in an earlier response that he had hoped that the bats that we had like Reimold would show that they were ready to take the next step and he could acquire a bat. He didn't expect these struggles to happen at all.

So it sounds pretty much like we've taken a huge step back and he has no Plan B for what happens if some these players fail.

I'm not sure how he didn't see this when people without his experience could see this coming a mile away...

I'm not feeling much better... :(

So it sounds pretty much like we've taken a huge step back and he has no Plan B for what happens if some these players fail.

I'm not sure how he didn't see this when people without his experience could see this coming a mile away...

I'm not feeling much better... :(

Nice hand sir, well played.

Nobody really thought the offense was the main issue to be addressed, which is why Tejada and Atkins were signed as "stop-gaps."

Nobody is claiming, either, that the offense was *elite* but it was at least solid average. Look at all the prognostications. If everybody was wrong, can you honestly blame McPhail?

We can still hold him accountable for not answering the long-term need at SS, but beyond that the criticism of long-term vision is fairly unwarranted.

Hogwash. Everyone knew we needed "multiple bats." He made a terrible move on Atkins, who has been declining 3 years in a row and was awful last year, and who has been very mediocre outside of Coors field for several years. That move isn't being judged with 20/20 hindsight. The vast majority of posters here (me included) thought it was stupid, didn't adequately address our needs, and said so at the time.

Miggy's a different story. He's a solid hitter and a known quantity in this town. There were some critics who didn't like that move, but there wasn't 5% of the amount of criticism he got over Atkins.

The only defense MacPhail has is that the offensive options were pretty limited. The only two elite bats (Halladay and Bay) weren't at a position of need for us, and there weren't a plethora of good 1B around. I'd have gone for LaRoche, but whether he had any interest in Baltimore, I can't say.

Hopefully our OF's come around and then all of this won't seem as bad as it seems right now.

Trea won't be happy unless an overhyped, overrpriced, big name is added to the roster.

I'll be happy when this organization finally realizes what it actually takes to compete in the AL East and actually attempts to do that.

I'm convinced now more than ever that MacPhail has absolutely no clue how to do that.

He honestly thinks his plan will work and doesn't have any idea why it isn't...

I'll be happy when this organization finally realizes what it actually takes to compete in the AL East and actually attempts to do that.

I'm convinced now more than ever that MacPhail has absolutely no clue how to do that.

You have the same recycled lines...and most people have the same recycled answers...

Then who? A 150 million/8 year deal on Matt Holliday? We'll see if that kills the Cardinals and their ability to re-sign Pujols, Wainwright and such.

You have the same recycled lines...and most people have the same recycled answers...

Then who? A 150 million/8 year deal on Matt Holliday? We'll see if that kills the Cardinals and their ability to re-sign Pujols, Wainwright and such.

That's why it's best to either ignore him, or just say something simple like "Good for you" or "nice hand" and move on. I do the same thing, so I'm not one to preach.

Not sure what he is supposed to say. It is the middle of the season, the time for adding "premium talent" is the off-season if you aren't on the verge of competing for a title. It always costs more to trade for good players in-season, and it wouldn't make sense for the Orioles to do that now. Should he say "I messed up, the team isn't good enough but please buy tickets anyway", or "We definitely 100 percent need another bat this off-season and we will get one", which agents will leverage to increasing the asking price for their clients?

Acquiring talent using the resources that you have to win games.

And in the AL East, you have to acquire and assemble some of the best talent in baseball. And it doesn't come cheap either in terms of $ or players that you have to expend to get it.

You can't just expect that all the talent you have in the farm will reach that level, and this is exactly what he's expecting.

He's willing to get a bat to help, but not multiple...

Acquiring talent using the resources that you have to win games.

And in the AL East, you have to acquire and assemble some of the best talent in baseball. And it doesn't come cheap either in terms of $ or players that you have to expend to get it.

You can't just expect that all the talent you have in the farm will reach that level, and this is exactly what he's expecting.

How do you explain away the Rays?

Archived