BA Mock Draft

It's certainly not a sure thing when considering who the O's will take (or who they're linked to), but Machado is highly-rated and would be an excellent choice.

Here was my report on Machado pre-season, and I'll be updating this info very soon. Just know he has taken a big step forward this season- as hoped.

#4 Manny Machado

Shortstop, Brito HS (FL)

Born July 6, 1992> Draft Day Age=17.9

Ht/Wt... 6-2/185, Bats Right / Throws Right

Consensus Pre-season Review...

Manny Machado is a lean and athletic shortstop, hailing from Brito high school in Miami. Defensively Machado is somewhat like collegian Christian Colon, in that neither project to have great range as pro's... but both have very good instincts, are graceful in their footwork and mechanics, employ soft hands and good arms, and should be able to stick and be successful big league shortstops.

Offensively, Machado has no problem hitting a good fastball, and making strong consistent contact. He uses an open-stance and while he 'wraps' his bat, he has good bat speed and leverage, with some lift in his swing. Many scouts feel he'll have solid to above-average power, and coupled with outstanding defensive abilities at a prime position, Machado could vault into the Top 10 of the coming draft.

--Greg Pappas

Fantastic Greg. Thanks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is my question, i keep seeing and hearing the O's linked to Tallion. I think Callis has mentioned it a few times. This is the first thing i have read about Machado. Do you guys think he is a real consideration? I know we need a SS bad but i just have not seen him linked to the O's at all. I know its a long time away but what kind of player are we talking, what is his ceiling, i think i read Jimmy Rollins was his comp.

Rollins is, what, 5-9/180? Machado is already 6-3 with a WIDE frame and very broad upper-body. There's a chance he maintains enough athleticism to stick at SS, but he's about as far from Rollins as I can imagine. Personally, what I saw from his defensive actions weren't what I'd look for in a big body sticking at an up-the-middle position. I liked Littlewood's and Cowarts actions MUCH better for "larger-framed" kids.

I could be thinking of someone else with the Rollins Comp. So in your opinion Stotle if Harper and Tallion are off the board who should the pick be? I persoanlly like Whitson more then Pomeranz.

Rollins is, what, 5-9/180? Machado is already 6-3 with a WIDE frame and very broad upper-body. There's a chance he maintains enough athleticism to stick at SS, but he's about as far from Rollins as I can imagine. Personally, what I saw from his defensive actions weren't what I'd look for in a big body sticking at an up-the-middle position. I liked Littlewood's and Cowarts actions MUCH better for "larger-framed" kids.

I could be thinking of someone else with the Rollins Comp. So in your opinion Stotle if Harper and Tallion are off the board who should the pick be? I persoanlly like Whitson more then Pomeranz.

Depending on what your are spending and what your are looking for, my top choices would be Whitson, Cox, Machado or Castellanos. I'd probably rank them in that order. That also assumes you believe in the ceiling of Machado and Castellanos -- I'm a bigger believer in the latter and think Machado needs to land in the right organization to thrive.

Depending on what your are spending and what your are looking for, my top choices would be Whitson, Cox, Machado or Castellanos. I'd probably rank them in that order. That also assumes you believe in the ceiling of Machado and Castellanos -- I'm a bigger believer in the latter and think Machado needs to land in the right organization to thrive.

Do you think the O's could be one of those organizations?

I've gotta spread rep around, but this is almost exactly how I feel. I also feel that Machado is more of a development project than Castellanos.

I've had a "crush" on him since Wrigley, but I think #3 is just too high for him. If not Taillon or Harper, I still like Cole.

Zack Cox is said to be a pretty safe pick in this draft as he's the most polished bat. The Orioles really need some ML ready position players, so while Cox may not have the huge ceiling, he could be the best pick so the O's can get somebody in the pipline and in Baltimore to help the offense ASAP.

The Orioles have drafted so many players that are 4 years away recently that they may need to focus on players that can help them within 2 years as they aren't willing to pay the money to land those established players.

Seeing what the Orioles don't have in their system, Cox may be a need pick, but he's probably the smartest as he's the safest.

He could be a Chase Utley clone at 2B.

How can you just answer like that without providing a reason or two? You may think it's so obvious that a reason isn't needed but I'm waiting on one anyway.

Honestly wasn't trying to be coy. I don't think it's obvious, but I'm not in a position to go into details. Sorry, RZ. I certainly understand if you want to throw out my opinion because of it, but it is what it is.

Zach Cox is said to be a pretty safe pick in this draft as he's the most polished bat. The Orioles really need some ML ready position players, so while Cox may not have the huge ceiling, he could be the best pick so the O's can get somebody in the pipline and in Baltimore to help the offense ASAP.

The Orioles have drafted so many players that are 4 years away recently that they may need to focus on players that can help them within 2 years as they aren't willing to pay the money to land those established players.

Seeing what the Orioles don't have in their system, Cox may be a need pick, but he's probably the smartest as he's the safest.

He could be a Chase Utley clone at 2B.

Cox likely wouldn't be close to the defender Utley is, and isn't it a contradiction to say he could be an Utley clone but he doesn't have a huge ceiling?

Regardless, I agree he is a decent bat to consider if you're going position player (would be my first choice if BAL doesn't want an arm).

I think we should just go for broke with the pick. Take the guy that has superstar potential. You might miss completely. But when you've been mired in last place for decades, it's time to take some risks. For me, this means taking Harper, Taillon, Machado in that order...

I know it would be a big reach and we have some OF's but the Austin Wilson kid from Cali looks like he is going to be the real deal. Kid can stroke and really reminds me of Micheal Taylor the Phillies prospect now with the A's I think. Anyone have a scouting report on him? Found some videos on youtube.

Archived