Could Matt Harvey be this year's Hobgood?

3. Orioles | Jameson Taillon (RHP) | The Woodlands (Texas) H.S.

Although I've heard Matt Harvey discussed in this spot, all signs still point to Taillon still landing here. Many scouts call him one of the best high school arms to emerge in recent years and the O's will not pass up a shot at him.

20. Red Sox | Matt Harvey (RHP) | North Carolina

This is just one of those perfect fits. Boston likes to pick big arms like Harvey and would pay the price to get him. Harvey has been linked to a number of teams, even high in the first round, but somewhere in the early 20s seems most likely.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/05/26/mlb-mock-draft-2-0-the-full-first-round/

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97449

I reported on this yesterday. I have to say im praying its Tallion but i would'nt be as upset if we took Harvey as i was last year when we reached so far on Hobgood with Matzek, Turner, Green, White, and Leake on the board. With Harvey at one point he was considered the top prospect, Hobgood wasnt even in the top 20. I think if Harvey regains his HS form which he seems to be doing he could be a legit #2 pitcher with stuff to be a TOR guy. To even think we could possibly have had Matzek and Tallion in our system instead of Hobgood and this years picks makes me mad.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97449

I reported on this yesterday. I have to say im praying its Tallion but i would'nt be as upset if we took Harvey as i was last year when we reached so far on Hobgood with Matzek, Turner, Green, White, and Leake on the board. With Harvey at one point he was considered the top prospect, Hobgood wasnt even in the top 20. I think if Harvey regains his HS form which he seems to be doing he could be a legit #2 pitcher with stuff to be a TOR guy. To even think we could possibly have had Matzek and Tallion in our system instead of Hobgood and this years picks makes me mad.

I agree with this, I was actually rooting for Harvey to poke his head into the top of the 1st earlier this season. His stuff is top 5 caliber, his inconsistency is what brings him down. I look at him a little bit like Scheppers from last year, he is probably gonna fall a bit, and a very good team picking late in the 1st is gonna take their chances on him and come away with a steal.

Regardless, he is no true substitute for Taillon who projects to be #1, but I wouldn't be too upset with the pick...

I agree with this, I was actually rooting for Harvey to poke his head into the top of the 1st earlier this season. His stuff is top 5 caliber, his inconsistency is what brings him down. I look at him a little bit like Scheppers from last year, he is probably gonna fall a bit, and a very good team picking late in the 1st is gonna take their chances on him and come away with a steal.

Regardless, he is no true substitute for Taillon who projects to be #1, but I wouldn't be too upset with the pick...

Well said...looks like the Rangers are about to call up Scheppers. kid has dominated out of the pen. I was really hoping we would land him in the 2nd. Its just like the year before when Tim Melville fell all the way to the 4th round. Im was praying we would nab him, now he is probably a top 100 prospect.

Well said...looks like the Rangers are about to call up Scheppers. kid has dominated out of the pen. I was really hoping we would land him in the 2nd. Its just like the year before when Tim Melville fell all the way to the 4th round. Im was praying we would nab him, now he is probably a top 100 prospect.

I agree, but you win some and you lose some. It'll be interesting to see Joe Jordan's budget if he does end up drafting Taillon as far as later round overslotters go. There are some pretty interesting injured pitchers who will fall far below their talent level's value, and JJ has been going this direction a lot lately(Berry, Coffey, Henry etc).

Yeah im up in Elkton so I have gotten to see him pitch a few times. His numbers dont look very good but he does have all the makings of a top 100 prospect. I expect him to pull it together. Funny story i remember the first game I went to at Blue Rock stadium. UD my alma mater was playing Northeastern and all everyone talked about was the man amongst boys playing 1B for the Huskies......Carlos Pena. He was a monster back then. If remember correctly he almost parked one up on 95 which has to be close to 500 ft.

I was hoping for Melville too, but so far this year he is one of the few disappointments among the Royals top prospects. No way he is Top 100 right now. He is already falling out of the Royals' Top Five.

Archived