A-Rod has picked three teams

JTrea81

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my favorite part:

... his agent Scott Boras has made it known to a choice few that there are only three teams Rodriguez will play for in 2008, and the Yankees are not one of them.

Repeat - With the ball in Alex’s court, the New York Yankees are not on that three-team list.

I don't buy that for a minute. I think it's just Boras trying to apply pressure to Steinbrenner's wallet. The existing contract means that ole George can find some way to chip in way more money to ARod and still have a bargain because the Rangers are still paying a large bunch of it...

I don't buy that for a minute. I think it's just Boras trying to apply pressure to Steinbrenner's wallet. The existing contract means that ole George can find some way to chip in way more money to ARod and still have a bargain because the Ranger's are still paying a large bunch of it...

I agree although if the Yankees lose on Sunday night with ARod failing to do anything it's going to overshadow his great year w/the fans of NY. I could see him wanting no part of NY if (hopefully) that were to occur.

I'm a little surprised the Giants aren't mentioned.

I've always heard the Angels owner isn't willing to pay anybody more than Vlad.

As for the Yanks, I can see A-rod leaving. One more loss and Torre will get fired. Then -fingers crossed- the whole thing will start to unravel. Posada & Rivera are potential free agents, guys getting up in age. Sure they've got some talented youngsters, but it's about time to stick a fork in the Yanks. If A-rod leaves, I don't think they're even a playoff team.

I'm a little surprised the Giants aren't mentioned.

You think they're winning anything in the near future? Or you think ARod only cares about the money and nothing else?

Well, that begs the question, "Is ARod 'anybody'?"

As for the Yanks, I can see A-rod leaving. One more loss and Torre will get fired. Then -fingers crossed- the whole thing will start to unravel. Posada & Rivera are potential free agents, guys getting up in age. Sure they've got some talented youngsters, but it's about time to stick a fork in the Yanks. If A-rod leaves, I don't think they're even a playoff team.

Good points... I imagine he'd wanna know who's staying and who isn't before he inks anything...

Artie Moreno is a very savvy guy when it comes to understanding the potential of the Hispanic market in southern California. Looking around the stadium at the handful of Angels games I see each year, it's a market he hasn't succeeded in completely tapping yet, even though that was a stated purpose of his when he bought the team in 2003.

There's no question that Vlad's a great player - I wish he were an Oriole, but as the face of a major-market ballclub he lacks the necessary sparkle.

However, I can't think of a more perfect match than ARod and LA, if you want a charismatic face for your team and a better connection with the large (and diverse) Hispanic community.

A huge contract for a single player can be justified in a situation like the one I just described, so I would be very surprised if Moreno is not aware of the possibilities and hasn't run the numbers.

I agree with you 24fps, but it's my understanding that Moreno has already gone on record saying quite clearly that he will not pay an Angels player more than Vlad.

Now, we all know there are ways to backtrack from those kinds of statements, and perhaps he will.

If you take him at his word though, the Angels aren't won't be in the running.

Obviously the decision for Arod to void his contract depends on a number of factors, like how much more he can make and/or wanting out of NY. Lets not forget, under his current contract, the Rangers are still paying a large sum of his current contract. If it's all about money and the Yankees want him to stay. Than no other team can match the Yankees due to the subsidy from the Rangers.

Obviously the decision for Arod to void his contract depends on a number of factors, like how much more he can make and/or wanting out of NY. Lets not forget, under his current contract, the Rangers are still paying a large sum of his current contract. If it's all about money and the Yankees want him to stay. Than no other team can match the Yankees due to the subsidy from the Rangers.

I agree if you're talking about the Yankees signing him to a lucrative, lenghty extension.

If A-Rod opts out, that Rangers subsidy vanishes however, and Yankees GM Brian Cashman has already gone on record saying New York will not participate in a bidding war at that point. (As I said above, they could always change their minds I suppose).

If A-Rod is in the mood to "play ball" with the Yankees, perhaps he's less likely to opt out. They hardlined him publicly early in the year though, and he may be less likely to do what's best for the Yankees finances. If Boras believes they can get, say 8yrs/$250 million on the open market, he may insist the Yankees pay even more than the going rate if A-rod doesn't opt out. Reason being that they're getting the early years at a discount factoring in the Rangers subsidy.

It's sure to be interesting however it plays out.

Perception here is that the Yanks really can't afford to let him walk, but A-rod's got them by the balls, so to speak, considering his big year and the way Cashman talked the Yanks into a corner.

I agree if you're talking about the Yankees signing him to a lucrative, lenghty extension.

If A-Rod opts out, that Rangers subsidy vanishes however, and Yankees GM Brian Cashman has already gone on record saying New York will not participate in a bidding war at that point. (As I said above, they could always change their minds I suppose).

If A-Rod is in the mood to "play ball" with the Yankees, perhaps he's less likely to opt out. They hardlined him publicly early in the year though, and he may be less likely to do what's best for the Yankees finances. If Boras believes they can get, say 8yrs/$250 million on the open market, he may insist the Yankees pay even more than the going rate if A-rod doesn't opt out. Reason being that they're getting the early years at a discount factoring in the Rangers subsidy.

If he opts out and the Yankees do not get involved my prediction is that he's going to end up getting a lot less than 30m a year unless it's a shorter term deal. Althouugh if Boras wants to do right by his client he might want to advise ARod to take less money elsewhere if they get eliminated w/him failing to perform in the postseason again. He's going to be a scapegoat for the failures w/the fanbase.

I don't see how it makes any sense to say you'll only sign with one of these three teams. What happens when two of them say, "We don't want to sign you"? Then you have no leverage to get the contract you want.

He still has $27 million a year left on his Yankees through 2010. He's not required to opt out after this year, he only has the opportunity to if he so chooses.

I know that he and his agent need to be careful about how they go about testing the waters with those three teams while he's still under contract to the Yankees, but I doubt that he'll exercise the option without being fairly certain of improving his position beforehand.

$81 million to do nothing except play for another three years is a lot of leverage in and of itself.

Archived