John Sickel's Take on the '10 O's Draft

I'm no draft expert, but by reading some of the posts here, it appears as if we passed over some good talent on our 3rd pick that may have been a better fit than a guy who projects as a relief pitcher.

QUOTE]

Actually Joe Jordan has said that they are going to develop him as a starting pitcher

There is definitely something missing from the O's draft...it's called a second round pick!

Seriously, though...I think it's a fair criticism to point out that without a second round pick, the organization should have taken more overslot/tough sign guys. Taking a signability guy like Trent Mummey in the fourth round is particularly hard to swallow when you don't have to spend money on a second round pick.

There is definitely something missing from the O's draft...it's called a second round pick!

Seriously, though...I think it's a fair criticism to point out that without a second round pick, the organization should have taken more overslot/tough sign guys. Taking a signability guy like Trent Mummey in the fourth round is particularly hard to swallow when you don't have to spend money on a second round pick.

My guess is Jordan is planning on Machado costing $6+ million. He loves the JuCo and HS kids outside of the expensive tier, so he isn't going to cut into his budget for the low six-figure kids (in my opinion). Not sure he had the budget room for big selections in the early rounds. Narron is a 400K - 600K asking price (from what I have heard estimated from someone in the know), so that's biting in, too.

Now, I think that's an issue, but he can only work with the budget he's given. I prefer to think he would spend more if he could.

Who would you have taken in the 4th round?

One of Kyle Blair, Kevin Munson, Chad Lewis, James Paxton, Hunter Morris, Sam Dyson, Garin Cecchini, or Bryan Morgado. Thats just the 4th there were atleast 10 guys in rounds 5-7 i would take over Mummey. If I had to choose one it would be James Paxton in a heart beat with Kyle Blair a close second. I would have taken Miguel Pena over Mummey and he went in round 13. I just dont see alot of WOW in this draft. It was a huge amount of college JR's and SR's which are always alot easier to sign. Im just not overly excited considering what was still on the board.

My guess is Jordan is planning on Machado costing $6+ million. He loves the JuCo and HS kids outside of the expensive tier, so he isn't going to cut into his budget for the low six-figure kids (in my opinion). Not sure he had the budget room for big selections in the early rounds. Narron is a 400K - 600K asking price (from what I have heard estimated from someone in the know), so that's biting in, too.

Now, I think that's an issue, but he can only work with the budget he's given. I prefer to think he would spend more if he could.

I think you nailed it here. I suspect that Jordan has a budget of approximately $9 million. So, assuming Machado eats $6 million of the budget, that leaves $3 million for everyone else with Narron taking 400-600K.

This draft kind of feels like if the Ravens took offensive guards and centers with thier top picks and kick returners or fullbacks with thier later picks. Sure they make end up being useful players but none of them seem like they even have a chance to be true "impact" players.

I think you nailed it here. I suspect that Jordan has a budget of approximately $9 million. So, assuming Machado eats $6 million of the budget, that leaves $3 million for everyone else with Narron taking 400-600K.

It really would be interesting to see the progression of the debate about the $ involved in a MLB draft by a team....any team. From preliminary scouting to scouting to decision making to draft day. Something is lost amongst the casual fans as far as budgets and "projections v $" and "slot v $" and ""potential v $".

That matrix is probably something that Jordan and every other MLB team has to live within that will never show up in any draft "analysis" by anyone. I'm sure it's more complicated than just picking player ala the NFL draft.

Archived