Who are some local guys for next year's draft?

It's always nice to have a few guys who grew up in the Baltimore-Washington area and who grew up rooting for the Orioles. Brandon Snyder, Brandon Erbe, and Chorye Spoone are three guys who come quickly to mind, and there have been others. Who are some of the top guys from within say a 50-75 mile radius of Baltimore to keep an eye on for the 2011 draft?

It's always nice to have a few guys who grew up in the Baltimore-Washington area and who grew up rooting for the Orioles. Brandon Snyder, Brandon Erbe, and Chorye Spoone are three guys who come quickly to mind, and there have been others. Who are some of the top guys from within say a 50-75 mile radius of Baltimore to keep an eye on for the 2011 draft?

If you wanna include guys from VA, we have a few solid possible 1st day draft prospects including Jake Cave and Deshorn Lake. Both guys are from my old HS team's district, the Peninsula District......

MD HSers I am aware of (none I'd consider early rounders):

Nick Howard, SS, St. John's HS

Kevin Hockaday, RHP/3B, John Carroll HS

AJ Lardo (OF, Loyola Blakefield) is someone who is really interesting as a prep player, but I just don't see a ML fit for him. He's a little too undersized and doesn't have the speed or hit tool for me to look past it. I'll have some more names once I get back from Jupiter. The Orioles Scout team usually has a good number of local names on the roster.

VA HS list is much stronger, with a number of potential early rounders:

Deshorn Lake, RHP, Menchville

Jake Cave, RHP, Kecoughtan

TJ Costen, MIF/CF, First Colonial

Some college names to keep an eye on in the Commonwealth:

Danny Hultzen, LHP/1B, UVa

Steve Proscia, 3B, UVa

Tyler Wilson, RHP, UVa

Tim Smalling, SS, VaTech

Buddy Sosnoskie, OF, VaTech

Ronnie Shaban, INF/RHP, VaTech

Brent Mikionis, CIF, VCU

Jonathan Watson, RHP, VCU

Matt Tenaglia, CIF/COF, JMU

Trevor Knight, UTL/RHP, JMU

I have been focusing on my region so far, so I'm not fully up to speed on the mid-atlantic talent. I'm sure I'm missing some.

AJ Lardo (OF, Loyola Blakefield) is someone who is really interesting as a prep player, but I just don't see a ML fit for him. He's a little too undersized and doesn't have the speed or hit tool for me to look past it. I'll have some more names once I get back from Jupiter. The Orioles Scout team usually has a good number of local names on the roster.

Steve Proscia, 3B, UVa

Tyler Wilson, RHP, UVa

Tim Smalling, SS, VaTech

Brent Mikionis, CIF, VCU

I have been focusing on my region so far, so I'm not fully up to speed on the mid-atlantic talent. I'm sure I'm missing some.

I am gonna try to see when Menchville plays Kecoughtan, see if Lake and Cave end up matching up against eachother. It'd be nice if they faced off at Menchville where I could walk to the game since its so close to my house.

On a related point, I know he's only a HS junior, but what's the word on Ryan Ripken? Is he someone who could end up being a high draft pick in 2012? And would his parents let him skip college if he was drafted in the early rounds?

On a related point, I know he's only a HS junior, but what's the word on Ryan Ripken? Is he someone who could end up being a high draft pick in 2012? And would his parents let him skip college if he was drafted in the early rounds?

I haven't seen him play. From what I've heard he has a chance to be a single-digit round kid -- maybe more depending on his spring and summer. No clue what kind of support college gets in his household.

Yessir, I know that, but the question is if they will face eachother. Something like a rainout can affect the rotation of SPs....

I'd assume they will try to set that up for the benefit of the scouts, but sure it's no guarantee.

• 3 weeks later...

There are several prospects located on the Eastern Shore. While not a baseball haven, St. Michaels H.S. (Harold Baines), has two of the top pitchers in the state. Adam Parks has committed to Liberty University, while Kyle Mckelvey has committed to East Carolina. Both have 90+ fastballs and they have won 2 state championships in the past 3 years. They are loaded again this year and are heavy favorites to win it again. Scouts were at many games last year. Keep an eye out for these guys.

Steve Proscia, 3B, UVa

Tyler Wilson, RHP, UVa

Tim Smalling, SS, VaTech

Brent Mikionis, CIF, VCU

I like Mikionis' power but I highly doubt his plate discipline plays in the big leagues. Worst K/BB of any regular on the team last year.

I haven't seen Watson pitch but he looks like an intriguing relief option.

I should be able to see a good amount of these guys and some of the UVA and JMU guys this year. Looking forward to it.

I like Mikionis' power but I highly doubt his plate discipline plays in the big leagues. Worst K/BB of any regular on the team last year.

I haven't seen Watson pitch but he looks like an intriguing relief option.

I should be able to see a good amount of these guys and some of the UVA and JMU guys this year. Looking forward to it.

Just a watch list. There honestly is much high-follow talent in MD/VA, though Cave quickly became a favorite of mine this summer/fall.

• 4 weeks later...

Two of the better local prospects OF are from PA - Mike Pappi and Derek Fisher (both heading to UVA). Both should go in the top 5 rounds. Very good left handed hitters with good arms and speed.

AJ Lardo was hurt most of last summer (hamstring) and had very few summer and fall abs. Definitely a plus runner - consistently sub 6.7 60yd times at USA baseball and Underarmour AA event. About 6ft 185 so I agree he is a little undersized.

Archived