My letter to Andy MacPhail (re: Millar)

Boy Howdy

I tried to explain myself in the first post but I will try again:

The reason why it was the wrong thing to do (and I mean absolutely) is because they risked making a move the would be perceived negatively by the fan base for no gain. There is an idea of "risk vs reward". There is no reward here. I thought I was pretty clear about that the first time.

Now, as for the tangible effect of the move itself (in isolation), I meant in the context of who is on the 40 man roster or what Kevin Millar will be thinking about when he's at the plate or personnel related issues like that. When Palmer says something like "let's worry about what makes this team better on the field" that he is correct in the context of this not being an issue that will directly affect win and losses. It won't, and I never said it would.

It could however affect how the fans view the club and since their faith and patience has been tested already, it was stupid to do something like this that could possible alienate more. Again, that's why it was absolutely the wrong move. This is a business and you don't risk pi$$ing off your patrons unnecessarily. Even if ONE FAN decides not to buy tickets to some midweek game vs the Royals in April because of this, it was the wrong move.

I may not have been clear about the "tangible" part but my characterization of the decision should have been easy to follow.

Just to play devil's advocate, there is a chance that some casual O's fans could have been watching game 7 of the ALCS and saw Millar throw out the pitch. Thye may have then said, "Hey, he plays for my team. He seems like a pretty cool guy. Maybe I'll take the kids to a game next season!"

I'm just saying! Your idea that someone would NOT go to a game because of this is just as unrealistic as my scenario is.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to play devil's advocate, there is a chance that some casual O's fans could have been watching game 7 of the ALCS and saw Millar throw out the pitch. Thye may have then said, "Hey, he plays for my team. He seems like a pretty cool guy. Maybe I'll take the kids to a game next season!"

I'm just saying! Your idea that someone would NOT go to a game because of this is just as unrealistic as my scenario is.

I don't deny that is possible. It is improbable that they would see an O's member rooting for the Red Sox and would find that as motivation to attend an O's game...but it is possible. I disagree that it's equally as likely that this could have been positive publicity for the O's . That's a reach at best.

My point is that the O's weren't compelled to do this, got no gain from it, and it didn't matter to them that it's might rub fans the wrong way.

I'm going to slowly back away from this issue now, but I did think I should highlight some of the more ironic statements in this post.

It didn't have a tangible impact on anyone, but yet it was a big deal to some of us including you? I would think about that if I were you.

It was the wrong thing to do IYO. Despite what your preaching, this isn't an absolute. The fact that you feel it is an absolute is quite amazing.

1) Thou shalt not kill

2) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife

3) Thou shalt not allow any player to publicly cheer for another team AFTER his team has stopped playing for the year.

Yup, I'm afraid this doesn't make the grade as an absolute.

Again, I don't begrudge anyone who wants to get upset about this, but I would say that wasting this much energy on something this minor is just silly.

Three different people actually wrote back that this WAS one of the biggest Orioles' issues right now. WOW, and here I thought it was our crappy LF, CF, bullpen, and injuries to our young starters. Don't I feel silly. If we had just kept Millar from cheering for the Sox, all these things would have been just minor annoyances.

C'mon VAtech, you are wasting as much energy on it as anyone. This is a baseball message board where we always talk about things that are trivial to a lot of people. No one is jumping off the bay bridge about it.

I don't think anyone thinks that this incident in one of the Orioles biggest issues now.

I believe what I (and others) are talking about is the idea of the Orioles continuing to needlessly tick off or offend chunks of their fanbase.

Whether it is Elrod, neglect of the 66 anniversary, Jon Miller, Balto road jersery, etc..... they are always "stepping in it" and going against a majority/sizeable minority of their fans wishes.

PA's organization has consistently and thoroughly demoralized and chased away the fanbase in Baltimore. They just can't afford to do that anymore.

It is either PA's arrogance or incompetence (or some of both) that has put this franchise in the sorry state we are now.

Hopefully MacPhail does have the keys now and will restore it to respectability, but giving Millar permission to cheerlead a fierce division rival wasn't a "stellar" move on his part.

I am done with this topic (I hope :o ). I have said more than enough.

And maybe some kids were sitting in front of the TV saying, "Hey Daddy doesn't that guy play for the Orioles? Why is he with the Red Sox? They were the guys that mean guy liked when we went to that game. Does Kevin Millar like mean people?"

I think the term I would use for this decision is by the O's front office is... Unwise.

Is the fact that Millar did these things really going to help the BoSox or hurt the O's on the field? probably not but by it's nature rooting for your favorite team isn't (and shouldn't be) completely a rational thing. One of the best things about sports is when you have "us" vs "them" mentality where you're team is almost perfect and the other team is almost pure evil. This obviously can be taken too far but we all engage and enjoy in this unrealistic hyperbole. That's what professional sports are about. I don't understand why Macphail/ Millar didn't take this fact into account when making they're decision. Even if there wasn't anything "technically" wrong with what they did, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a good number of fans could potentially be put off by this decision. The Mets figured this out with Pedro and did you hear anyone say that the Mets acted petty by not allowing Pedro to be part of the stunt? No...

Do I care more infinately more about what the O's do this offseason with trades/releases/signings? Yes but sometimes the little things say alot...

I think the term I would use for this decision is by the O's front office is... Unwise.

Is the fact that Millar did these things really going to help the BoSox or hurt the O's on the field? probably not but by it's nature rooting for your favorite team isn't (and shouldn't be) completely a rational thing. One of the best things about sports is when you have "us" vs "them" mentality where you're team is almost perfect and the other team is almost pure evil. This obviously can be taken too far but we all engage and enjoy in this unrealistic hyperbole. That's what professional sports are about. I don't understand why Macphail/ Millar didn't take this fact into account when making they're decision. Even if there wasn't anything "technically" wrong with what they did, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a good number of fans could potentially be put off by this decision. The Mets figured this out with Pedro and did you hear anyone say that the Mets acted petty by not allowing Pedro to be part of the stunt? No...

Do I care more infinately more about what the O's do this offseason with trades/releases/signings? Yes but sometimes the little things say alot...

Very well said...Another question. How many fans would have been upset if Millar hadn't done this? How many Met fans are upset because Pedro was told no?

Very well said...Another question. How many fans would have been upset if Millar hadn't done this? How many Met fans are upset because Pedro was told no?

Few, if any. That's why I say that the O's didn't have to do this, but risked much of they did.

And maybe some kids were sitting in front of the TV saying, "Hey Daddy doesn't that guy play for the Orioles? Why is he with the Red Sox? They were the guys that mean guy liked when we went to that game. Does Kevin Millar like mean people?"

What a perfect opportunity to teach your kids that you can be loyal to current friends and old ones, too, and explain the nuances and subtleties of rooting for your team, enjoying the game of baseball, and being a good fan, not a mean guy.

Those who have piteously criticized management for closeminded decisions are now reflecting it themselves-self righteous slander to Millar who is an ultimate team guy .What of all the O's who have returned to cheer their former teammates at propitious times while holding jobs with rival clubs.How bizarre-consider what he did when this team was in the dumps,not long after they are out of contention.What a taking of the matter otherwise than it was meant.Where is the affability towards Millar that he has displayed to Baltimore fans without lack.Have we become this small and small town?

Those who have piteously criticized management for closeminded decisions are now reflecting it themselves-self righteous slander to Millar who is an ultimate team guy .What of all the O's who have returned to cheer their former teammates at propitious times while holding jobs with rival clubs.How bizarre-consider what he did when this team was in the dumps' date='not long after they are out of contention.What a taking of the matter otherwise than it was meant.Where is the affability towards Millar that he has displayed to Baltimore fans without lack.Have we become this small and small town?[/quote']

Again, risk vs. reward.

Where are all the Mets fans up in arms over the fact that their team would not allow Pedro to participate.

The O's risked upsetting a sizable portion of their fan base, for little if any reward.

What a perfect opportunity to teach your kids that you can be loyal to current friends and old ones, too, and explain the nuances and subtleties of rooting for your team, enjoying the game of baseball, and being a good fan, not a mean guy.

"So why does mommy get mad when you have drinks with your old girlfriend?"

:)

Those who have piteously criticized management for closeminded decisions are now reflecting it themselves-self righteous slander to Millar who is an ultimate team guy .What of all the O's who have returned to cheer their former teammates at propitious times while holding jobs with rival clubs.How bizarre-consider what he did when this team was in the dumps' date='not long after they are out of contention.What a taking of the matter otherwise than it was meant.Where is the affability towards Millar that he has displayed to Baltimore fans without lack.Have we become this small and small town?[/quote']

For some reason this sounds like it should be shouted from a soap box on a streetcorner in the 19th century.

What a taking of the matter otherwise than it was meant

Or, on the other hand, generated randomly by computer.

Why the heck not? The Orioles and Red Sox are rival teams in the same division. Why should we help them out? Glad to see we support the same fans that invade our stadium like locusts and spew foul language and ridicule Oriole fans in the same stadium. :rolleyes:

Bwaaahahahaha!

You've got to be kidding me? The Red Sox would help the Orioles out? Fat chance... :rolleyes:

Irrational much?

Archived