mymlbdraft.com predicts the orioles select...

His surgery went well, and the fracture wasn't as bad as first feared. His rehab has gone well. I'm not aware of a chronic structural issue that would cause these injuries, but I'm not a doctor. He's a legit 4 or 5 tool talent (depending on who you speak to) and he hasn't run into injury issues in season, despite playing a very hardnosed brand of ball. My gut would be to chalk it up to bad luck, but I'd obviously want to speak to my medical experts before spending $6 to 8 million on him in June.

I had the exact same injury (mine was already set so didn't need surgery though) and it healed slowly but soundly, no after effects at all. I was really worried about the planting and first step side to side (it was my left, so closest to the line for me) but after a couple months I built the muscles back up around it and it was fine.

Nothing earth shattering, just personal experience that has left me really confident in him. I'd be ecstatic to get him at #4.

I guess the point of a mock draft this early is to give people an idea where certain player ranks and who they are. But i agree it probably would serve better if they just had a watch list instead. I am personally only starting to get into of researching players for the amatuer draft and i only learn of who players are through coming on pages like this and http://www.baseballrumormill.com/ I know last year at this time they had Anthony Ranaudo as one of the top picks in the 2010 draft.

I guess the point of a mock draft this early is to give people an idea where certain player ranks and who they are. But i agree it probably would serve better if they just had a watch list instead. I am personally only starting to get into of researching players for the amatuer draft and i only learn of who players are through coming on pages like this and http://www.baseballrumormill.com/ I know last year at this time they had Anthony Ranaudo as one of the top picks in the 2010 draft.

My issue is also that I don't think this mock gives any indication of where players rank. It is omitting some of the better players in the draft, has people up top that have fallen due to summer/fall performance, etc. It's helpful if you want 30 or so people that could go in the top three rounds and you don't know anything (or very little) about any of them. In that case, you know who to plug into your google search.

His surgery went well, and the fracture wasn't as bad as first feared. His rehab has gone well. I'm not aware of a chronic structural issue that would cause these injuries, but I'm not a doctor. He's a legit 4 or 5 tool talent (depending on who you speak to) and he hasn't run into injury issues in season, despite playing a very hardnosed brand of ball. My gut would be to chalk it up to bad luck, but I'd obviously want to speak to my medical experts before spending $6 to 8 million on him in June.

I would be concerned Rendon could fall in the draft. Maybe not much, but a little.

My good friend Bryce Brentz was projected to go #10 to the A's in last year's draft. He dropped to #36, and was selected by the Red Sox. The reason was an ankle injury he had been dealing with for the season. Needless to say that Bryce's agent did a horrible job and was fired shortly thereafter.

I would be concerned Rendon could fall in the draft. Maybe not much' date=' but a little.

My good friend Bryce Brentz was projected to go #10 to the A's in last year's draft. He dropped to #36, and was selected by the Red Sox. The reason was an ankle injury he had been dealing with for the season. Needless to say that Bryce's agent did a horrible job and was fired shortly thereafter.[/quote']

It will all depend on his performance this season. If he doesn't rebound well, I could definitely imagine a world where he drops, but I wouldn't expect him to drop out of the top 5.....So I guess we agree, but I think it is different with an elite draft talent compared to a good draft talent in Brentz....

I would be concerned Rendon could fall in the draft. Maybe not much' date=' but a little.

My good friend Bryce Brentz was projected to go #10 to the A's in last year's draft. He dropped to #36, and was selected by the Red Sox. The reason was an ankle injury he had been dealing with for the season. Needless to say that Bryce's agent did a horrible job and was fired shortly thereafter.[/quote']

Brentz also had the disadvantage of only a handful of "premium" series to show scouts his chops in the spring, as conference play was sub-par. He had a nice year, but it was a clear statistical step back from his monster 2009, as well. Regardless, he landed in a nice situation in Boston.

If Rendon performs in the spring as he did last spring, I would say it's highly unlikely he falls outside of the top 3, and only out of the top 2 if Cole and another arm are filthy dominant.

• 4 weeks later...
Just checking out some college sites and watching some videos and checking out stats. Not a real fan of the Jungman looks. To me, it looks like he throws across his body and it looks like he might have a tough time with command, although his walk totals are not bad.

Not a big fan of Sonny Gray's video either. Looks like a pitcher who has a tough time commanding the ball and keeping it down.

Also checked out George Springer. He looks like a high ceiling but possible bust type of player. I"m thinking he's a tease and we should stay away from that. His stats look great up until the strikeout totals, 70 in 243 AB's. Now, he did show patience at the plate by drawing 60 walks, which is great. I'm just concerned that this kid swings and misses way to much at the college level. Something to keep an eye on this season.

I watched the video of Daniel Norris. While a HS pitcher is probably the last category I'd like the O's to select from, I was most impressed with his video than any other pitcher so far. A real nasty curve that he has decent control of. Mechanics not perfect but look pretty good to me.

Best and smoothest looking pitcher to me was Matt Barnes, like Springer, from UConn. Not sure about his stuff though.

As usual, just my two cents. Look forward to others jumping in and discussing.

I know what you mean with Jungmann. Stotle's videos have him very erratic looking, but I still like him as a pick. Barnes is a guy that has risen pretty quiickly over the last year. He had a velocity jump this past season. He also is very smooth and his secondary pitches are rapidly developing. He is one to watch for us in the upcoming draft.......If Purke, Cole and Rendon are gone, its gonna be a tough choice.....

Archived