What Will Be The Effect On The Football Program?

olehippi

Freidgen had a contract through the 2011 season. Franklin's leaving should not have changed anything, as I'm sure that Freidgen was perfectly capable of selecting a new offensive coordinator, and replacing anyone else who left.

To be fair, though, which coordinator is going to be 1) qualified enough to take over from James Franklin and help develop a young quarterback and 2) willing to come in for only one guaranteed (and likely) year?

That's not the same list as just all of the potential coordinators out there. It would be a difficult search.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair, though, which coordinator is going to be 1) qualified enough to take over from James Franklin and help develop a young quarterback and 2) willing to come in for only one guaranteed (and likely) year?

That's not the same list as just all of the potential coordinators out there. It would be a difficult search.

There are a lot of assistant coaches who are now, or soon will be, looking for jobs, and who knows what particular situation they might be looking for. Plus there was the possibility - a very real possibility - that Friedgen's team would have had a great year and won a slot in a major bowl. That would definitely have changed the landscape for future contract considerations. But, now we'll never know.

I'm just upset that Freidgen got a raw deal from Anderson.

Freidgen had a contract through the 2011 season. Franklin's leaving should not have changed anything, as I'm sure that Freidgen was perfectly capable of selecting a new offensive coordinator, and replacing anyone else who left. And Freidgen was well within his rights to request an extension. Any coach would have done so under the circumstances. After all, Ralph had just finished an 8-4 season, been selected ACC Coach of the Year, and taken the team to a bowl game....a bowl selection that Maryland got screwed on through no fault of Freidgen.

He only won COY because he went 2-10 the season before! How does going 44-42 in your last 7 seasons (24-32 in the ACC) merit an extension?

And LOL at thinking Ralph could replace any of his coaching staff without an extension. He'd basically have a staff of grad assistants.

There are a lot of assistant coaches who are now, or soon will be, looking for jobs, and who knows what particular situation they might be looking for. Plus there was the possibility - a very real possibility - that Friedgen's team would have had a great year and won a slot in a major bowl. That would definitely have changed the landscape for future contract considerations. But, now we'll never know.

Sure, the exact manner in which Anderson went about the move was crappy. But there wasn't any way that Friedgen was going to get an extension, and once Franklin left, that made the situation unsellable to recruits. Most kids want some kind of stability when they sign on with a program, and when you walk into the room telling a kid that the entire coaching staff is definitely going to change in a year, you're putting yourself at a major disadvantage.

Frankly, Friedgen didn't really do anything special to warrant a contract extension over the last few seasons. Anderson shouldn't have come out and said what he did, and Edsall wasn't the most inspired hire for sure. But Anderson was put into a pretty tight spot by Franklin's departure. He botched the handling of it, but something had to happen.

Franklin also handled the bulk of the recruiting, which Fridge was not very good at. How do you bring in a new OC and have him successfully recruit for a HC who may only be there for 1 year? It would have been a very poor situation IMO.

He only won COY because he went 2-10 the season before! How does going 44-42 in your last 7 seasons (24-32 in the ACC) merit an extension?

And LOL at thinking Ralph could replace any of his coaching staff without an extension. He'd basically have a staff of grad assistants.

Franklin also handled the bulk of the recruiting, which Fridge was not very good at. How do you bring in a new OC and have him successfully recruit for a HC who may only be there for 1 year? It would have been a very poor situation IMO.
Not to mention no recruits were going to come here if they had offers elsewhere. Why would anyone come here with a coach who only had one year left on his contract?

I have no problem with Friedgen being fired since I beleive the program was stagnant under his direction. Saying that, I felt Leach was the best candidate to take over due to the exciting brand of football and graduations rates he brought to the table. I'm not a huge college football guy so I'll honestly say I had no idea who Edsall was, and that's the problem. After hearing his credentials and listening to his interview a bit, he sounds like a solid football coach, but he does seem like a lateral safe move.

What do I think it means for the program? I see us being about the same we were under Friedgen with some good years and some bad. As long as fans have to go through the crappy Byrd Stadium parking experience they are never going to draw overly well, but if O'Brien turns into a marquee player that should help ticket sales.

After reading about Maryland's limited football budget and seeing their safe choice in Edsall, it's pretty apparent that like John, the powers to be at Maryland are happy with the status quo and hope that a younger version of Friedgen can maybe take them a slight step higher without having to pay for it.

Tony, I hear you on Leach. I think some are overrating the ceiling he would've brought with him, but he would've been exciting (both on and off the field) and he would've sold tickets.

I also agree that if they really want to bring out the fans than they need to promote a more fan-friendly experience. Should let lots open up earlier, not harrass tailgaters*, and do their best to make the games an experience.

*I've personally never been bothered, but I've heard multiple stories.

As for how serious MD is about football, I think that's still to be decided. I know many take the Edsall hiring as the safe choice, but a Leach hiring wouldn't mean they're suddenly serious about the football program. It's a lot like the Orioles. We could go out and sign Fielder next offseason and everyone will talk about the Orioles being serious and people will start flocking to the Yard. However, if the Orioles don't pump up their scouting (both domestic and abroad) among a variety of other behind the scene factors than are they really that serious about winning? And to continue with this analogy, signing Fielder would be great for the first few years, but what if he gets (further) out of shape or suffers an injury. Than we're stuck with him, though we're not happy, and as the team loses the fans who hopped onto the bandwagon are jumping right back off.

With Edsall it seems the Terps are going to go with a grassroots campagin. Using the above analogy, it's like the Orioles going out into the community and doing their best to extend their hand and build relationships that hold strong win or lose. I said this before, but I think Edsall is going to be out shaking hands and promoting this program a lot more than Ralph ever did and quite frankly more than any coach at MD has done in years.

Of course the Orioles have to do more than be out in the community trying to build relationships. They also have to field a competitive team. Losing more than winning won't fill the stands no matter how many hands you shake. And this is where I'm still undecided on how serious the Terps are as a program. The first step starts with Edsall's coaching staff. Similar to hiring solid scouts and development guys, the Terps need to be willing to spend money on obtaining and retaining assistant coaches. So far I'm happy with keeping Brown. I'm waiting to see who else we hire. MD also needs to upgrade their facilities, glad to see Edsall has already mentioned numerous times the need for an indoor practice facility. It's ridiculous that MD doesn't have one and I know Ralph was pushing for one for years. If that gets started on soon I think that's a sign of moving in the right direction.

Like Lestor said on the Wire, you have to follow the money. That will tell us how serious the program is. If we're shelling out money for assistants and upgrading facilities than MD is getting serious about the program. I don't think their choice for HC is the best indicator, just like signing a top flight FA isn't the best indicator for how serious a MLB team is about competing.

I think Edsall is a good coach, but I don't think he can take us "from good to great" unless we give him the resources he needs. I don't think Mike Leach would've been any different in that aspect.

This is what I'm talking about.

- Assistant strength and conditioning coach Drew Wilson is also joinging Edsall at Maryland. Interestingly enough, Wilson was about to become the strength and conditioning coordinator at Purdue. He won't have that title at Maryland. Perhaps that's an indication good money can be doled out down there.

Like Lestor said on the Wire, you have to follow the money. That will tell us how serious the program is. If we're shelling out money for assistants and upgrading facilities than MD is getting serious about the program. I don't think their choice for HC is the best indicator, just like signing a top flight FA isn't the best indicator for how serious a MLB team is about competing.

I think Edsall is a good coach, but I don't think he can take us "from good to great" unless we give him the resources he needs. I don't think Mike Leach would've been any different in that aspect.

Anyone that can throw in an Orioles and The Wire reference into a Terps thread is ok with me. ;)

Seriously though, I think you are right on. It will be interesting to see if Edsall gets the support he needs to make this a better program. Unfortunately, I have less faith in Maryland's desire to support a top rate football plan more than I worry that Edsall won't be a good coach.

I agree with a lot of what you said....it logical. But it's the part above that jumped out at me because the same could be said about Freidgen. If had been given the resources he needed I have no doubt that he would have taken his teams to a higher level. He did the best he could with what he had to work with.

Now, if Kevin Anderson is willing to push for the things that will be attractive to the better recruits - like a modern indoor training facility - I'm all for it. But that's not what I sense about this guy. In fact, I think he's in over his head and that the end result won't be good for the football program, or for the school in general. Just a gut feeling I've had since this fiasco began.

I agree with a lot of what you said....it logical. But it's the part above that jumped out at me because the same could be said about Freidgen. If had been given the resources he needed I have no doubt that he would have taken his teams to a higher level. He did the best he could with what he had to work with.

Now, if Kevin Anderson is willing to push for the things that will be attractive to the better recruits - like a modern indoor training facility - I'm all for it. But that's not what I sense about this guy. In fact, I think he's in over his head and that the end result won't be good for the football program, or for the school in general. Just a gut feeling I've had since this fiasco began.

THis is coming from nowhere. He did not come from Seneca Valley High school or some D3 school. He has been successful building a D1 program in a BCS conference. He may not win but he will not be out of his element at Maryland.

5-7 years ago, I'd agree with you. I think at this point in his career though Ralph just doesn't have the energy to keep going. Some may disagree but I think Franklin was a big boost of energy (and youth) that this program needed and the bump in recruiting shows. Now maybe Ralph could've found another young coordinator, but I think the odds were low. Ralph and Franklin had a pretty good relationship (at least until the HCIW deal) and their philosophies were similar. Very hard to replace.

I hear a lot of people saying, and rightfully so, that Edsall is basically Ralph. I agree with that sentiment, but I like to say that he's the newer, younger model and with each new model comes new features. Reading what these recruiting experts have to say I think Edsall has a great eye for talent (one area I think Fridge lacked) and he seems to be willing to put in the time and effort it takes to 1) recruit and 2) promote the program.

It should be noted that Kevin Anderson has given the men's assistant coaches substantial raises since he's taken over. I agree that he really made a mess of this situation but he has made other, low profile, moves that signal that he's got what it takes. I haven't made up my mind yet on what I think about Anderson, I'm going to wait for a larger sample size.

THis is coming from nowhere. He did not come from Seneca Valley High school or some D3 school. He has been successful building a D1 program in a BCS conference. He may not win but he will not be out of his element at Maryland.

You can't even begin to be compare running the athletic department at West Point to that of Maryland. It's kind of like making the leap from being the manager at Joe's Auto Parts to becoming CEO of NAPA. And when did Army become a BCS school? If I remember correctly, when Anderson was running the show there he was dead set against it and wanted to keep Army an Independent.

I hope Anderson is a closet AD genius and turns Maryland into a powerhouse, but as I said, my bet is that he's in over his head. We'll see.....

Archived