Papelbon

FellsPointOsFan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread reaks of jealousy.

Amen.

If Papelbon were on our team, he'd probably be a fan favorite. I know he'd be one of my favorite players.

I know I have always loved the more "colorful" Orioles in the past like Frank Robinson, Earl Weaver, Rick Dempsey etc.

Of course, the constant losing would probably wash that emotion out of Papelbon pretty quickly.

Good call on the face ledzepp. Its like his I'm acting tough act. I severely detest Dustin P since the Dcab incident, while Dcab was way out of line I still don't like him. And that Jacoby kid is getting up there as well. While Papplebon may take the cake but its real close.

I actually like Papelbon. Don't get me wrong, I hope he blows his shoulder out and is terribly ineffective for years to come. He just seems to be enjoying himself. He's respectful in interviews and doesn't take himself at all seriously.

Why does it reek of jealousy to point out how a dude jumps around and screams like an asshole after every pitch?

Well, there are plenty of other closers who do so, and I bet if we had Papelbon on our team, most people would be praising his "fire" and "drive" and "passion" and "heart."

Good call on the face ledzepp. Its like his I'm acting tough act. I severely detest Dustin P since the Dcab incident, while Dcab was way out of line I still don't like him. And that Jacoby kid is getting up there as well. While Papplebon may take the cake but its real close.

Ellsbury? Really? Pedroia's going to wind up talking himself into a real bad place and Papelbon. . .yeah, I don't even need to go there, but Ellsbury seems like the very definition of innocuous. What's the problem with him? Just that he's an overhyped prospect on a team you hate?

Anyone remember Willis Roberts? I definitely didn't like his act, even when he was pitching decently.

He was actually the first thing I thought of when I started reading this thread. He was the classic case of not being able to back up his antics with actual talent.

Anyone remember Willis Roberts? I definitely didn't like his act, even when he was pitching decently.

Anyone remember Jim Palmer? I think he had the all-time best act. Not show-boating, but very strong. He's throw a 2-out 2-strike pitch to a batter, and let his follow-thru morph into him heading towards the dugout without even waiting to see what the batter did with the pitch.

Not always. Not everyday. But sometimes he just knew "this is a strike, and he can't touch it". I never saw him be wrong about it. Calm, subtle, and perfectly justified arrogance. If you saw it happen, you'd think, "Best act ever".

Well, there are plenty of other closers who do so, and I bet if we had Papelbon on our team, most people would be praising his "fire" and "drive" and "passion" and "heart."

It's not the fact that he does scream and jump around; I appreciate the "fire, drive and passion". It's the fact that he practically does it after every pitch, every strike, and every out.

Archived