Can the Orioles win the division without acquiring a starting pitcher?

Frobby

Can we win the division without acquiring a starting pitcher?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Can we win the division without acquiring a starting pitcher?

• Yes. Our strengths may outweigh that one weakness.
    • No. We're playing over our heads and the weak rotation will catch up with us.

Simple question. Evidence that they can do it:

1. They're in first place now, on pace to win 94 games, with the rotation they have.

2. The competition is not that overwhelming. Boston and Toronto has their own glaring flaws.

3. Despite its one weakness, this team has a lot of other strengths: great power lineup, great bullpen, great manager, and players who know how to win and pull together.

4. Plenty of room for the existing starters to improve.

5. The Royals won with poor starting pitching just last year.

Evidence that they can't:

1. The offense is performing beyond expectations and will have its slumps along the way.

2. Constant short starts will eat away at the bullpen and it will lose effectiveness as the season progresses.

3. Boston and Toronto won't sit still. They're in easy striking distance and will take steps to upgrade their teams before the deadline, as Toronto did last year.

4. We have no depth and one injury to a starter could sink us.

So, what say you? Are we doomed to slide if we don't find another starter, or are we strong enough to live with our deficiencies?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted no. But....I want to just add a middle or back of the rotation guy for depth. I DO NOT want to trade Bundy. I want no part of Sonny Gray, who I have always thought had no chance to hold up in the long run. Tillman will have to be our ace, Gallardo will have to be solid for us. I can live with that, and I do think we need to bolster the staff but not at a stupid cost.

The options were a bit more cut and dry than reality. It is going to be really difficult for the pen to keep up the pace of innings that they are on.

I think the offense will be fine. Because of the way they swing more than look for a walk, there will be some ups and downs. In my opinion, we only have one player (Trumbo) that is hitting at a pace beyond what his career norms are.

I knew how you'd vote, Bruce. ;)

The offense is averaging over 6 runs a game in June, with 9 guys OPSing .800+. We're not going to continue at that pace. But I think we might win anyway. My biggest fear is that Boston and/or Toronto will make big moves to improve.

The offense is averaging over 6 runs a game in June, with 9 guys OPSing .800+. We're not going to continue at that pace. But I think we might win anyway. My biggest fear is that Boston and/or Toronto will make big moves to improve.

I don't think Toronto has much more farm depth or payroll room than the O's.

The Red Sox on the other hand...

Of course. We'll need to find a serviceable #5 off the scrap heap to replace Ubaldo, or it could even be Ubaldo himself. SP isn't great, but neither is the competition. Only thing that gives me concern is BOS making a move for someone like Sale.

I don't feel like the O's are playing too much over their heads. I just feel like TOR and BOS are marginally better. If I had to choose a roster for the next 80 games, I would pick either of them before the O's.

That being said, the O's are a good team and will be in the hunt. They need to keep the high winning % at home and keep beating up on the weaker teams.

My biggest fear is that Boston and/or Toronto will make big moves to improve.

Both of them will. Will they actually be impact? Or will it be like Price to Toronto last year? Who knows.

I'd like for the Orioles to grab a lefty shut down reliever and a lefty starter.

Both of them will. Will they actually be impact? Or will it be like Price to Toronto last year? Who knows.

I'd like for the Orioles to grab a lefty shut down reliever and a lefty starter.

I'd say Price had an impact on the race last year.

9-1 2.30 ERA, 2.22 FIP.

The thread is about winning the division not winning the world series.

Are you suggesting that Price to Toronto wasn't an impact move? He went 9-1 with a 2.30 ERA for them.

Fortunately, I don't see anyone who is likely to be on the market who would have that kind of impact.

Archived