Can the Orioles win the division without acquiring a starting pitcher?

Frobby

Can we win the division without acquiring a starting pitcher?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Can we win the division without acquiring a starting pitcher?

• Yes. Our strengths may outweigh that one weakness.
    • No. We're playing over our heads and the weak rotation will catch up with us.

Sele..

Do you mean Sale? The last Sele in MLB was Aaron in 2007.

Pomeranz is an impact arm possibly available as well.

For the Orioles, I actually think adding bullpen might be the cure. Just keep the option train rolling.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure they can. They'reon pace for 95 wins without much SP. I don't think TOR is that good and even if Bos gets another SP, as bad as Price has been (Got shelled by Tex Fri) I'm not sure it makes them that much better. I just don't see a SP available right now that is that much of an impact. Unless Chi decides to put Sale on the market.

Sele..

I assume you mean Sale. Do you have reason to think he's on the trading block? He's got a contract that runs through 2019 with very cheap options in 2018-19, so I'd think the price for him would be astronomical.

Do you mean Sale? The last Sele in MLB was Aaron in 2007.

Pomeranz is an impact arm possibly available as well.

For the Orioles, I actually think adding bullpen might be the cure. Just keep the option train rolling.

Yes, sorry typo.

I would have though from the context of the thread it was obvious to whom I was referring. I'll go fix it so no one else gets confused.

I assume you mean Sale. Do you have reason to think he's on the trading block? He's got a contract that runs through 2019 with very cheap options in 2018-19, so I'd think the price for him would be astronomical.

There are rumblings the Red Sox are talking to the White Sox about him.

Maybe it's nothing.

I think they can. Gausman is the key. He s capable of pitching better. He s got to pitch better. And we have to stay healthy. We re playing really good baseball. We ve given away a few games or we d be up in the race more. Cmon Gausman!

Can they? Yes. Will they is the question.

Its all depends on health.

I have no worries about the pen. Drake, Despaigne and Tolliver look like major league relievers to me. There is plenty of depth in the pen.

The starts can't afford an injury unless its Ubaldo.

Offense and defense is good enough to win.

I'd be leary of Drew Pomeranz. He's walk rate is over 11%. His BABIP is .254, so he's been a little lucky. He's had 2 DL stints in his career due to shoulder issues. And last, would he be available late in the season and into the playoffs? He only pitched 81 innings last year, and has never pitched 150 innings in any season. I wouldn't break the bank for him, that's for sure.

Simple question. Evidence that they can do it:

1. They're in first place now, on pace to win 94 games, with the rotation they have.

2. The competition is not that overwhelming. Boston and Toronto has their own glaring flaws.

3. Despite its one weakness, this team has a lot of other strengths: great power lineup, great bullpen, great manager, and players who know how to win and pull together.

4. Plenty of room for the existing starters to improve.

5. The Royals won with poor starting pitching just last year.

Evidence that they can't:

1. The offense is performing beyond expectations and will have its slumps along the way.

2. Constant short starts will eat away at the bullpen and it will lose effectiveness as the season progresses.

3. Boston and Toronto won't sit still. They're in easy striking distance and will take steps to upgrade their teams before the deadline, as Toronto did last year.

4. We have no depth and one injury to a starter could sink us.

So, what say you? Are we doomed to slide if we don't find another starter, or are we strong enough to live with our deficiencies?

Yes they can win it all.

I'm going to say no.

Boston and/or Toronto are going to acquire an additional pitcher. Right now Toronto's starting pitching is the best in the AL. And they have a very good offense. Their bullpen stinks, however.

Boston's problem is actually pitching altogether. And while Price got rocked yesterday, he's been *very* good lately. So you're talking about a trio of Price, Wright and Porcello and then whomever else they add (Teheran?). If that's the case, adding an impact starter makes their bullpen better, too.

I'm not convinced Gallardo is going to be anything more than a #4/#5 for the O's. And we still currently don't have a fifth starter. Our starters don't go deep into games. The bullpen is getting overused.

I think it'll be close, but here's the breakdown to me (rankings):

Toronto:

Rotation: 1

Bullpen: 3

Offense: 3

Boston:

Rotation: 2

Bullpen: 2

Offense: 1

Baltimore:

Rotation: 3

Bullpen: 1

Offense: 2

FWIW, the Blue Jays offense is still very good. You give the Blue Jays an effective bullpen arm (Andrew Miller, anyone?) and Boston an impact starter (Teheran)? Then I think the O's are in trouble.

Regardless, I don't see the O's completely fading from contention. But I have very big question marks from this rotation right now.

I'm going to say no.

Boston and/or Toronto are going to acquire an additional pitcher. Right now Toronto's starting pitching is the best in the AL. And they have a very good offense. Their bullpen stinks, however.

Boston's problem is actually pitching altogether. And while Price got rocked yesterday, he's been *very* good lately. So you're talking about a trio of Price, Wright and Porcello and then whomever else they add (Teheran?). If that's the case, adding an impact starter makes their bullpen better, too.

I'm not convinced Gallardo is going to be anything more than a #4/#5 for the O's. And we still currently don't have a fifth starter. Our starters don't go deep into games. The bullpen is getting overused.

I think it'll be close, but here's the breakdown to me (rankings):

Toronto:

Rotation: 1

Bullpen: 3

Offense: 3

Boston:

Rotation: 2

Bullpen: 2

Offense: 1

Baltimore:

Rotation: 3

Bullpen: 1

Offense: 2

FWIW, the Blue Jays offense is still very good. You give the Blue Jays an effective bullpen arm (Andrew Miller, anyone?) and Boston an impact starter (Teheran)? Then I think the O's are in trouble.

Regardless, I don't see the O's completely fading from contention. But I have very big question marks from this rotation right now.

I'd take the Indians rotation over Toronto. But TOR definitelyhas the best in the East right now.

Archived