Can the Orioles win the division without acquiring a starting pitcher?

Frobby

Can we win the division without acquiring a starting pitcher?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Can we win the division without acquiring a starting pitcher?

• Yes. Our strengths may outweigh that one weakness.
    • No. We're playing over our heads and the weak rotation will catch up with us.

I voted yes because they're in first now and it's almost the half way point in the season. Seems like a lot of people who voted no are assuming the other teams int he East will step up- but they all have problems too.

I'm fine with Tillman-Gausman-Wilson-Gallardo-? as the rotation for now, but I do want another top guy to help win in the playoffs. Winning the division shouldn't just be the goal, but it's a start.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well sure we are overperforming in June offensively, but that wasn't what you wrote. You wrote overall. Overall, they aren't IMHO.

I think we are. I predicted we'd score 25-40 runs more than last year. Right now we're projected for +65 or so. So, I think we'll slow down from here, though not too drastically.

Of course it's possible, but I believe they need to add. I'm just as concerned about the discrepancy between home games and away games so far. 29-13 at home and 14-17 on the road so they have played 11 more games at home which will be 13 after Sunday. It evens up a bit on the road trip that begins Tuesday. Seems to me, that starting pitching, as scary as it has been sometimes, isn't the only reason why the team struggles on the road. Obviously, most teams fare better at home but both the Red Sox and Blue Jays have winning records on the road.

Of course it's possible, but I believe they need to add. I'm just as concerned about the discrepancy between home games and away games so far. 29-13 at home and 14-17 on the road so they have played 11 more games at home which will be 13 after Sunday. It evens up a bit on the road trip that begins Tuesday. Seems to me, that starting pitching, as scary as it has been sometimes, isn't the only reason why the team struggles on the road. Obviously, most teams fare better at home but both the Red Sox and Blue Jays have winning records on the road.

Good points. But I think the fact that O's have played more games at home is balanced somewhat by the fact they've played a tough schedule. 13 of their next 16 games are against clubs with .500 or worse records. But I agree the team needs to pick up the pace on the road if they want to win the division.

I think this team will go on a run if they add a legit SP.

These guys are fans of the game. I'm sure they believe in their team and abilities but they know who is playing up to or over their heads and they know who is scuffling. Adding a guy who they respect and know can help them will give them a huge boost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well sure we are overperforming in June offensively, but that wasn't what you wrote. You wrote overall. Overall, they aren't IMHO.

I still think Trumbo is the only player that is above what would be expected at this point. I think there are a couple of guys that have a run in them to make up for some offensive regression. I'm more concerned about the bullpen having to cover so many innings with the current construction of our SP.

I totally agree. I think Davis has more upside in him. I think Jones could be in Jul-Sep what he has been in June rather than what he was in Apr-May. Hardy has upside over what replaced him while he was gone. Manny isn't playing over his head. There is some upside in Alvarez. There is upside in Joseph. Schoop and Wieters aren't above their expected levels IMO. Only Trumbo looks like a regression candidate to me.

You are forgetting the platoon in left field.

You think that platoon has significant upside or downside from current results? Maybe a little downside in that Kim won't hit quite as well as he has to date, but not significant IMO. You disagree?

I think there is a definite chance of significant regression. I don't think it is particularly likely but I feel it should be noted. Neither player has enough of a track record in MLB.

Nope Os need one because the Red Sox and Jays will go out and get some pitching.

I don't think the Blue Jays will add a starter. They don't really have a candidate to jettison from their rotation.

They may add some bullpen, though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't think the Blue Jays will add a starter. They don't really have a candidate to jettison from their rotation.

They may add some bullpen, though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

They already added Grilli, if that move is indicative of what they can do going forward I'm not worried.

Archived