Holding the 4th pick, who are we looking at drafting?

Do you think he is a big reach at 4?

No, but he's a much more a Christian Colon/Tony Sanchez pick than a Brian Matusz/Zack Wheeler pick.

I have doubts he ever emerges as a Top 25 talent in all of baseball, but could sit in the 40-60 range with good probability and an above-average starter profile up-the-middle.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, but he's a much more a Christian Colon/Tony Sanchez pick than a Brian Matusz/Zack Wheeler pick.

I have doubts he ever emerges as a Top 25 talent in all of baseball, but could sit in the 40-60 range with good probability and an above-average starter profile up-the-middle.

So, essentially a Markakis in CF?

Probably less power potential, better speed, better defense, as good or better arm.

I didn't word that well.

What I meant is that Nick probably falls into that 40-60 range, give or take.

So, we would have another Nick like talent in the OF....Different skill set though.

I didn't word that well.

What I meant is that Nick probably falls into that 40-60 range, give or take.

So, we would have another Nick like talent in the OF....Different skill set though.

I think that's fair. Bradley is more refined than Nick was, but I'd consider both first-division starters with peak years as all stars.

I think that's fair. Bradley is more refined than Nick was, but I'd consider both first-division starters with peak years as all stars.

Well, I certainly would be happy with that.

The thing is, would he be a better pick than one of the college pitchers or Starling?

He is probably more of a sure thing than those guys.

Well, I certainly would be happy with that.

The thing is, would he be a better pick than one of the college pitchers or Starling?

He is probably more of a sure thing than those guys.

That's the question. Do you want probability or ceiling. I personally think that right now there are slightly better blends of the two than is JBJ, but I wouldn't hate the pick.

That's the question. Do you want probability or ceiling. I personally think that right now there are slightly better blends of the two than is JBJ, but I wouldn't hate the pick.

I really like the idea of a college hitter...always have.

Now, if a HS player or college pitcher is sitting there that it is, without question, a better talent than perhaps I go that way.

But based on what I have seen on here, I am not sure that exists except maybe with Starling, who I admit is very intriguing. I could care less about price tag personally...If you feel he is worth that pick and could be an elite player, then you draft him.

I will be looking forward to how JBJ progresses this spring though.

I tend to think this is a moot point though....They are taking a college starter IMO.

I really like the idea of a college hitter...always have.

Now, if a HS player or college pitcher is sitting there that it is, without question, a better talent than perhaps I go that way.

But based on what I have seen on here, I am not sure that exists except maybe with Starling, who I admit is very intriguing. I could care less about price tag personally...If you feel he is worth that pick and could be an elite player, then you draft him.

I will be looking forward to how JBJ progresses this spring though.

I tend to think this is a moot point though....They are taking a college starter IMO.

I'd imagine this to be the case -- there are just so many quality college starters out there that BAL has tons of options in an area they appear to like.

Let's look at this from a different angle. Who are your top 5 highest ceiling guys in this draft?

Ignoring probability:

1. Starling

2. Cole

3. Rendon

4. Lindor

5a. Bell

5b. Fisher

Weighted towards HS position players, but Cole and Rendon are in the Strasburg/Harper range for ceiling. All of the position players on that list are POTENTIAL five-tool guys.

Thanks. Surprised to see Lindor in there and I don't know anything about Fisher. Saw some video and read a few things about Lindor. His tools don't sound outstanding to me. Speed? Power?

Power good for size. He'll get stronger and has the bat speed to hit for some pop. Won the Aflac Homerun Derby at Petco last August. Solid average speed.

Maybe ceiling of

H - 6

P - 5

F - 6/7

A - 6

S - 5

Those aren't necessarily what I'd project, but I could see that type of ceiling in there.

Jason Churchill was raving about Lindor today in his ESPN Insider column. I can't see Cole being available at number four but perhaps the O's take a hard look at Lindor as a middle infielder instead of just a shortstop. If not Cole, who would be the obvious college arm for the O's to select at four?

Jason Churchill was raving about Lindor today in his ESPN Insider column. I can't see Cole being available at number four but perhaps the O's take a hard look at Lindor as a middle infielder instead of just a shortstop. If not Cole, who would be the obvious college arm for the O's to select at four?

There is not one. The usual suspects in the discussion are Sonny Gray, Taylor Jungmann, Jed Bradley, Matt Barnes, Danny Hultzen, John Stilson and Matt Purke.

I think I've got them in the order I want them, but it's certainly up for debate. It's a very deep draft for college pitching.

Thanks. Surprised to see Lindor in there and I don't know anything about Fisher. Saw some video and read a few things about Lindor. His tools don't sound outstanding to me. Speed? Power?

Lindor is right around top 5 for me. Not quite as good as Machado with the bat, but better defensively.

Gray, Jungmann, Bradley sounds about right. But do anyone of them scream number four pick yet? If Lindor continues to blow up it might be tempting to pick him, even with Machado in the fold.

By the way, I spoke to a National League scout in Florida last week who, not surprisingly, was extremely high on Machado. "The real deal" was his line. I'm all for pitching but if there isn't an obvious candidate at four (ala Cole right now) I would take a hard look at Lindor (or Starling for that matter).

Archived