What Were the Reports on Britton in 06?

Zach Britton was the 85th player selected in the 2006 draft, and the 4th by the O's (Rowell, Beato, Adams).

I wasn't following the draft in 06. According to the MLB draft tracker in 06, he was 6-2, 172, and had already touched 94 MPH. He lists now at 6-3, 194, though he looks a little heavier than that. Does anyone remember any other reports on him from that time? How did an arm like that (lefty, too) drop to #85?

A re-draft would be interesting. I wonder where Britton would rank in this group.

Lincecum

Longoria

Kershaw

Cahill

Anderson

Scherzer

Morrow

Drabek

Brown

Jennings

Minor

Bard

Zach Britton was the 85th player selected in the 2006 draft, and the 4th by the O's (Rowell, Beato, Adams).

I wasn't following the draft in 06. According to the MLB draft tracker in 06, he was 6-2, 172, and had already touched 94 MPH. He lists now at 6-3, 194, though he looks a little heavier than that. Does anyone remember any other reports on him from that time? How did an arm like that (lefty, too) drop to #85?

A re-draft would be interesting. I wonder where Britton would rank in this group.

Lincecum

Longoria

Kershaw

Cahill

Anderson

Scherzer

Morrow

Drabek

Brown

Jennings

Minor

Bard

He was a helium guy. College kid as of the summer, then became a top follow when his velo jumped to low-90s in the Spring. Orgs may have been tentative because 1) strong draft in general, and 2) late velo spike gave some concern as he didn't hold it through the spring (was more of a low-90s bumping 94 early and then dropping down to 88-92 closer to draft (but maybe BAL area guy had him different, or Jordan saw him early and that was enough -- I think the latter). His change-up was still a hypothetical and if I recall he was between a curve and slider -- trying to throw a curve but not too inconsistent, switching over to slider as a pro (Tony or someone who remembers early O's days can correct me).

He had physical projection, and obviously has filled out. He's a classic example of a scout's dream -- everything you project as a possibility he delivers on. From a pure armstrength guy with solid body/mechanics to what appears to be a complete ML starter sans command for the time being.

Good job scouting, but also great job by Britton, who obviously did everything he has been asked to reach his potential.

Hindsight he'd obviously be a 1st Round guy, but given essentially everything that has needed to go right has, I can't blame anyone for letting him slip to early 3rd Round. Great job by BAL to jump on him and to not be scared off by the velo spike early in HS year.

I seem to remember Britton switching from a curve to a slider early in his pro career and that being cited as one of the things that helped him take off.

Thanks; I don't remember his transition to BAL org.

His arm slot right now is certianly much better for a slider than a curve.

Archived