New Coach Search

This sounds pretty vanilla. And after hearing critics of Gary say for years that this team should routinely be in the Sweet 16, at a minimum, this isn't going to get the Terrapin Club energized.

I don't miss Debbie Yow for one second. But I'm about ready to move on to the next AD now, too.

Pretty much. Turgeon is Gary Lite. The floor isn't going to be too low but the ceiling won't be too high. I said many times I was waiting for the Gary era to end because I knew the potential was there for the program to go higher. Turgeon keeps things status quo which is the worst direction to go IMO. I know people were loyal to Gary but even those people realized his shortcomings and desired the next coach to be different. Anderson has no pulse on this fanbase or it's donors. Get him out of here ASAP.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and [bang] the prom queen.

...and knock her up and pay child support for the next eighteen years thereafter.

Life (sports included) is more complicated than you make it out to be.

I have no love for Kevin Anderson, but I think it's kind of silly to hold him entirely accountable for people at established programs not wanting to jump ship and essentially start over again when they already have it pretty cushy. Sure, Maryland may be a better job in a vacuum from the places these coaches are at, but factoring in other things it's only a marginal improvement given the sacrifice involved.

And close what deal? You mean the one that all of the Twitter "journalists" said was imminent with Miller? For him to leave a job with a top five recruiting class next year, having reached the Elite Eight this past season and having just moved to Arizona two years ago? In retrospect we were pretty foolish to believe so readily that Miller would just drop Arizona for us. Anderson didn't drop the ball, we just got played. It's as simple as that.

I mostly agree with you. But I think Anderson may have been naive here too. Instead of getting played, flying all the way to Vegas so Miller could use him as leverage, KA should have invited Miller to come to College Park. Basically you find out how serious his interest is right off the bat. If he says yes and comes to see you, then he's probably yours to lose. If he says no, he just looking for leverage and you move on. That's all I would have done differently if I were him.

I mostly agree with you. But I think Anderson may have been naive here too. Instead of getting played' date=' flying all the way to Vegas so Miller could use him as leverage, KA should have invited Miller to come to College Park. Basically you find out how serious his interest is right off the bat. If he says yes and comes to see you, then he's probably yours to lose. If he says no, he just looking for leverage and you move on. That's all I would have done differently if I were him.[/quote']

And then if Kevin Anderson insists that Miller flies to College Park, and we don't get Miller, then the reason is that Anderson didn't "step up" to court him sufficiently.

And then if Kevin Anderson insists that Miller flies to College Park, and we don't get Miller, then the reason is that Anderson didn't "step up" to court him sufficiently.

MD should never be in the position to be played by one coach and have everything fall apart after you miss him. Anderson put himself in that position. That's if you think Miller was playing us the whole time which I'm not completely buying.

This whole process has gone from me being at a super high to medium-low.

It should. This was the opportunity for MD basketball to go from good, or in recent years mediocre, to great. That's not happening with Turgeon or likely anyone else we hire. This process has been 5+ years in the making for me and a lot of other fans and Anderson screwed it up.

So Kevin Anderson has had two big coaching changes under his watch, and neither has gone well. Is a search committee being formed for his replacement, too?

Look at it from a business standpoint. Had Anderson done what he said he was going to do (i.e energize the fanbase), Byrd would be full in the fall and Comcast during the winter. The athletic department would be flush with cash.

Time will tell if Edsall or TBD will be good coaches but neither one of them are going to rev up the fanbase and put fannies in the seats. They'll eventually be full if both teams have success but that will take a few years. If he had made different hires they could be full immediately.

Look at it from a business standpoint. Had Anderson done what he said he was going to do (i.e energize the fanbase), Byrd would be filled in the fall and Comcast during the winter. The athletic department would be flush with cash.

Time will tell if Edsall or TBD will be good coaches but neither one of them are going to rev up the fanbase and put fannies in the seats. They'll eventually be full if both teams have success but that will take a few years. If he had made different hires they could be full immediately.

Exactly. Especially MD basketball, which is always going to be the #1 sport at this school.

Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and [bang] the prom queen.

I'm sure these bold statements make you feel better and everything, but your off base here. There has been no evidence to suggest that KA has screwed anything up here. CompuCoach is right, bottom line is that the big dogs are in great situations at their current schools. You can't put that on KA's feet for not being able to bring them on board. Let's wait and see what the deal is before we start crucifying him.

Hopefully he can find an up and coming gem. Every great coach at a big program didn't start at a big program. It's unrealistic to go steal a coach at a big program. This is reality.

Archived