New Coach Search

He would probbaly do fine...But he isn't anyone to scare you either.

If I were a MD fan, I would rather have Tubby Smith.

Agreed, Tubby is a good transition coach. Let him take over for a year or two while you look for the long term guy.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike's best player at Delaware Mike Pegues is now an assistant at Delaware but before that was the lead coach for DC Assault under Curtis Malone. Mike helped him get involved with Assault which led to him now being a college assistant. There are two key AAU teams in DC, DC Assault and Team Takeover and both have good relationships with Mike Brey over the years. Many of their top players couldn't be recruited by Notre Dame. That won't be the case at Maryland. Brey has a Big East conference record of 112-72 with only one 1st round NBA draft pick, (Troy Murphy) his first year there. Getting potential NBA players to Maryland will be much easier then Notre Dame.

Not that Maryland isn't > Minnesota but why would Tubby leave to take over the MD job "for a year or two"?

Good question, I can't tell you he would. But, if I'm Maryland I would rather look for someone who can take over for a year or two (maybe an Assistant and call it an Interim Coach), than make a bad commitment to someone like Brey, who I've never really cared for. I think too many people got so excited about a report that Miller was interested, and it sounds like people are just going to be unhappy regardless.

Good question, I can't tell you he would. But, if I'm Maryland I would rather look for someone who can take over for a year or two (maybe an Assistant and call it an Interim Coach), than make a bad commitment to someone like Brey, who I've never really cared for. I think too many people got so excited about a report that Miller was interested, and it sounds like people are just going to be unhappy regardless.

I'm curious as to why you don't care for Brey. He's done pretty well in arguably the best conference.

I'm curious as to why you don't care for Brey. He's done pretty well in arguably the best conference.

Regular season they've done decently, but they have always been a quick out in the tourney b/c of their style of play, IMO. It's almost like they've found their niche in the Big East, and I'm not sure that translates at MD. Also, I just think that MD is a much better job, and they should be able to get a better coach than that.

First of all, Smith is 59.

Secondly, when he came to Minnesota, they were coming off of a 9 win season. The next season, they won 20 games and lost to MD in the NIT.

The next year, they won 22 games and lost to Texas in first round of NCAAs.

Last year it was 21 wins and a loss to Xavier in the first round and last year, they only won 17 games.

Tubby has basically made Minnesota what MD has been...A bubble team.

But he took over a program that was screwed up and its tough to recruit to Minnesota.

He is from this area and knows how to coach. He is probably a better coach than Brey.

Now, he doesn't have longetivity but if you aren't going to get one of the good young coaches, then go for the guy that can propel your program up a notch and leave it for someone to take over in very good shape.

Maybe Brey can also do that but I would go with the better, more established coach.

Tubby has done a fine job of getting Minnesota to a level of respectability, but I just don't view him as someone who could take MD up a notch. Maybe I'm wrong. I wasn't aware of his connections to this area, thanks for pointing that out.

Mike's best player at Delaware Mike Pegues is now an assistant at Delaware but before that was the lead coach for DC Assault under Curtis Malone. Mike helped him get involved with Assault which led to him now being a college assistant. There are two key AAU teams in DC, DC Assault and Team Takeover and both have good relationships with Mike Brey over the years. Many of their top players couldn't be recruited by Notre Dame. That won't be the case at Maryland. Brey has a Big East conference record of 112-72 with only one 1st round NBA draft pick, (Troy Murphy) his first year there. Getting potential NBA players to Maryland will be much easier then Notre Dame.

Thanks for sharing. I don't understand why people are so low on Brey, he was never going to turn ND into a powerhouse. I would be intrigued with him due to the relationships he has with some of the big AAU players in this area that you outlined above. Thanks again!

Why is Shaka Smart not in this conversation? He's young, energetic and his style of play would be great in the ACC. Plus, he already coaches not too far away.

Jon Rothstein of FoxSports named him a candidate yesterday... I posted the link on page 5 or so of this thread. He's an intriguing candidate but also a risk, IMO.

Jeff Goodman of FoxSports just mentioned the following via Twitter:

Mike Brey texted a few media outlets that there are no meetings scheduled between he and Maryland. Still expects to sign extension at ND.

Jon Rothstein of FoxSports named him a candidate yesterday... I posted the link on page 5 or so of this thread. He's an intriguing candidate but also a risk, IMO.

Good. With risk comes reward. He's a coach that people could actually get excited about. He's an exciting guy in general. Give him the stage of MD basketball and I'd bet you he steals the show. At the very least we'd be entertaining as hell to watch. No one wants some middle aged boring family man. Give us something dynamic!

Archived