New Coach Search

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I knew I made a smart decision going to bed early last night and not waiting this out. It's freaking Maryland athletics. Whenever something looks good it's always going to find a way to end up bad. Anderson needs to go. He made a meh hire for the football program and he's going to do it again for basketball. There isn't anyone left that isn't a meh hire for Maryland. A football meh hire was acceptable.It doesn't have the name, resources, conference allure, facilities, etc of Maryland basketball. This hire needed to be knocked out of the park and we had Cesar freaking Izturis at the plate.

BTW...If Anderson has any balls he'll give Ehsan a shot at this job full time. We're not going to get an immediate impact coach now. Hire someone to build it back up. Smart and the guy from Richmond are essentially the same as Ehsan except Ehsan should be able to keep Faust and Justin Anderson, etc and he's a hell of a recruiter overall. He and Bino were essentially getting us involved with every big name recruit we've been involved with over the last 5 years.

I understand your frustration but im not sure that any of this is KA's fault. We would have to learn more about this before laying this at his feet. All of the names mentioned have great situations at their current jobs. It is what it is.

With all of the top choices that would require quick action now out of the question, it sounds like they're going to take their time now to sort through candidates. The remaining possibilities would consist of guys coaching at levels where they'd be more than happy to jump to MD no matter when an offer came. I wouldn't expect an announcement before the latter part of the week.

I understand your frustration but im not sure that any of this is KA's fault. We would have to learn more input this before laying this at his feet. All of the names mentioned have great situations at their current jobs. It is what it is.

Anderson messed it up. Even if he didn't mess up a Miller hire he messed it up from the beginning by alienating other coaches that have now pulled their names out of the running. MD should have done better than whoever they hire. That is not even debateable IMO.

Anderson messed it up. Even if he didn't mess up a Miller hire he messed it up from the beginning by alienating other coaches that have now pulled their names out of the running. MD should have done better than whoever they hire. That is not even debateable IMO.

As I mentioned, we need to learn more about it before we blame KA, not make stuff up. I understand you're frustrated but we have no way of knowing if he messed anything up.

As I mentioned, we need to learn more about it before we blame KA, not make stuff up. I understand you're frustrated but we have no way of knowing if he messed anything up.

Even with this process starting late MD should not have had to settle for the coach they are going to settle for no matter who it ends up being. That's the bottom line. We're already 5+ names deep into our "short list" of names.

Even with this process starting late MD should not have had to settle for the coach they are going to settle for no matter who it ends up being. That's the bottom line. We're already 5+ names deep into our "short list" of names.

Yes, its frustrating as hell, but we are yet to see anything reported that suggests this is KA's fault.

I'm thinking Ehsan might be the appropriate choice. It makes sense that Gary would leave quality replacements in his program.

Losing Miller could be Andersons fault but it's also possible Miller used us for contract leverage with AU and once KA determined this he just walked away.

Here's a WaPo article with some quotes from KA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/post/mike_brey_wont_meet_with_maryland_officials_coaching_search_continues/2011/05/08/AFezHTRG_blog.html?wprss=terrapins-insider

KA says he's looking for a coach with most, if not all of the characteristics GW possesses.

Awesome, a guy who doesn't recruit and can continue the mediocrity of the last 10 years. Yeah, just what we need. Bring on Tubby Smith. Oh wait, he probably won't leave Minnesota to come here.

And yes , I'm totally freaking out and venting. Leave me alone.

Before, in the midst of all of these "sources" talking about how any/all of the guys on the top of the list would want the job if offered, I was optimistic about the possibilities of a replacement coming in and shaking things up.

Now, after the top five choices for this "plum" of a job have resisted advances, I just want Gary back. :(

Before, in the midst of all of these "sources" talking about how any/all of the guys on the top of the list would want the job if offered, I was optimistic about the possibilities of a replacement coming in and shaking things up.

Now, after the top five choices for this "plum" of a job have resisted advances, I just want Gary back. :(

It certainly doesn't look like Gary did the program any favors waiting until May to hang it up.

Anthony Grant is clearly the best available guy left but Anderson won't go that route.

BTW....thank god I have the Ravens. One organization(program) that has people running the show that have a clue. I feel bad for all of you that are stuck with the Redskins, O's, Terps, Wizards.

Archived