A look at the Orioles, by month

Frobby

May 2021 -- you know this is going to be bleak!

5-23 record

2-8 vs. AL East

2-9 at home

3-14 on the road

0-6 in one-run games

0-1 in extra innings

Batting

3.86 runs/game was 13th in the AL

.234 BA was 11th

.307 OBP was 10th

.397 SLG was 8th

.705 OPS was 8th

1.07 HR/G was 10th

.219/.311/.317 with RISP (264 PA, 224 AB, 49 H, 71 TB, 82 TOB)

Pitching

5.89 ERA was last in the AL

5.82 RA/G was last

1.64 HR/G was last

5.69 starter ERA was last

4.63 IP/start was last

6.13 bullpen ERA was last

2 saves was last

8 save opportunities 

6 blown saves 

Defense

9 unearned runs was tied for 5th fewest in the AL

0.54 errors/game (15 errors)

7.6 fangraphs defense

3.6 UZR (-1.7 OF, +5.3 IF)

-17 Rtot

-15 Rdrs

-7 OAA

Cumulative through May 2021

Batting

3.74 runs/game was 13th in the AL

.230 BA was 10th

.295 OBP was 12th

.382 SLG was 9th

.678 OPS was 12th

1.02 HR/G was 12th

.215/.303/.311 with RISP (479 PA, 409 AB, 88 H, 127 TB, 145 TOB)(.615 OPS with RISP was worst  in the AL)

Pitching

4.97 ERA was 14th in the AL

5.00 RA/G was 13th

1.48 HR/G was last

5.35 starter ERA was last

4.63 IP/start was last

4.49 bullpen ERA was 11th

9 saves was last

20 save opportunities was tied for 7th most

11 blown saves was worst

Defense

14 unearned runs was tied for fewest in the AL (3-way tie)

0.50 errors/game (27 errors) was 3rd fewest

8.5 fangraphs defense was 1st in AL

6.5 UZR was 4th  (+2.5 OF, +4.0 IF)

-14 Rtot was 12th

-13 Rdrs was 12th

-8 OAA

Conclusion

The two biggest problems this month were terrible pitching and continued terrible hitting with runners in scoring position.    The pitching was last in almost every category, and the bullpen fell particularly hard, going from a 2.81 ERA in April to 6.13 in May.    If that continues, it's going to be a brutal season.   Needless to say, the starting pitching also was awful, but that was true in April, too.    As to the offense, the raw BA/OBP/SLG numbers were somewhat up, but the RISP hitting continued to be awful.   That was particularly true during the Minnesota and Chicago series, when we finally got a couple of decent pitching performances but couldn't score any runs.   The defense was a mixed bag: standard stats were very good, Fangraphs rated it good, but BB-Ref and Statcast thought it was bad.    I think the bottom line was the defense was not outcome determinative, as other factors were far more important.    Defense certainly didn't impact the 1.64 HR/game the pitchers allowed.

• Upvote 1

While I understand the connection to the old thread, this would have been a great new thread. I spent five minutes wondering why the May record was so good until I realized it was from 2011. 

Good info Frobby, but consider starting new threads with information about this year.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Serious question, 

Besides the 1-22, 1988 April, have the Orioles ever had a worse month than 5-23? I wonder if this was the worse May ever? If I have some time I'll try to research but maybe someone has the answers.

Ended the year 4-32 whatever year that was in the 2000s

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Serious question, 

Besides the 1-22, 1988 April, have the Orioles ever had a worse month than 5-23? I wonder if this was the worse May ever? If I have some time I'll try to research but maybe someone has the answers.

The Orioles went 4-24 in September of 2002. The collapse started on August 24th after the O's reached the .500 mark at 63 wins and 63 losses. They then finished the season on a 4 wins & 32 losses skid. 

I take partial responsibility since I attended the first game of the collapse after the Orioles clawed their way back to .500.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Orioles went 4-24 in September of 2002. The collapse started on August 24th after the O's reached the .500 mark at 63 wins and 63 losses. They then finished the season on a 4 wins & 32 losses skid. 

I take partial responsibility since I attended the first game of the collapse after the Orioles clawed their way back to .500.  

I think I did, too.   Also the 30-3 game in 2007 that started a huge collapse.   

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Ended the year 4-32 whatever year that was in the 2000s

I was trying to remember when this was this weekend. Not sure why it was on my mind, lol. I think we were in (unexpectedly) playoff contention before that...Very disappointing ending.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think I did, too.   Also the 30-3 game in 2007 that started a huge collapse.   

I remember the Orioles being up 3-0 in that game and then I went out that night. This was the days before most people had smart phones, so I had no idea what happened until I came back home. I went onto my computer and initially thought the 30-3 score was an error.

After checking several websites, I came to the realization it was real and that was the low point of the 1998 to 2011 stretch for me. 

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I remember the Orioles being up 3-0 in that game and then I went out that night. This was the days before most people had smart phones, so I had no idea what happened until I came back home. I went onto my computer and initially thought the 30-3 score was an error.

After checking several websites, I came to the realization it was real and that was the low point of the 1998 to 2011 stretch for me. 

It was definitely a low point, but for me the lowest point was Raffygate and its aftermath.