Will Prince Fielder be worth whatever it costs to bring him here?

ChaosLex

Will Prince Fielder be worth whatever it costs to bring him here?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Will Prince Fielder be worth whatever it costs to bring him here?

This poll is closed to new votes

I will say that if we trade Hardy in the offseason, that I would go after Reyes in a big way...I really like him and, as Trea said, you can move him to second laster down the road.

But I am also hoping that if we deal hardy, that we have also dealt a few other guys like Guthrie....If that happens, then we have a lot of good young talent and Reyes can be a very good addition for us.

But it has to make sense within the framework of things.

I am pretty sure that if we didn't have Hardy, that Reyes would be second on my priority list this offseason...With Darvish being #1 if he is posted.

I would rather have Reyes than Fielder.

Isn't Hardy a FA after this season? How could we trade him? Unless we extend him, and then why would we trade him? We should extend him and move him to 2B when Machado comes up. I don't think Reyes is worth that much more considering the cost.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Key word there.

You were wrong, just admit your poor comparison and move on.

Reyes has had one blip. Hardy has had several.

Reyes also is on pace to play 154 games this season, Hardy will be on pace to play 90 and likely will have one more DL stint.

Basically you are saying would you rather have 2/3 of a season with Hardy if that and 1/3 of Andino or 6/7 of a season with Reyes?

Reyes also is on pace to play 154 games this season, Hardy will be on pace to play 90 and likely will have one more DL stint.

He almost missed one complete season and 30 games in another.

You said he has been healthy and on the field...That's a lie.

If you want to say that Reyes has demonstrated in his career that he can stay healthy more than hardy has, that's fine..That would be a correct statement.

But coming into this season, over the last 2 years, Hardy has been on the field more and has had a higher WAR.

Try not making stuff up to make your little argument sound better. We can all look up stats, so you are just going to look foolish without doing research.

He almost missed one complete season and 30 games in another.

You said he has been healthy and on the field...That's a lie.

If you want to say that Reyes has demonstrated in his career that he can stay healthy more than hardy has, that's fine..That would be a correct statement.

But coming into this season, over the last 2 years, Hardy has been on the field more and has had a higher WAR.

Try not making stuff up to make your little argument sound better. We can all look up stats, so you are just going to look foolish without doing research.

Reyes had a calf injury and then tore his hamstring while rehabbing it once which put him out for a prolonged period. His hyperactive thyroid gland was also an acute occurance which caused him to miss the start of 2010.

Hardy has had various injuries over his entire career which have kept him off the field for a good chunk of the season each year.

There is a difference.

Reyes has proven he is less of an injury risk than JJ Hardy.

Reyes has proven he is less of an injury risk than JJ Hardy.

I hate to be that guy who inserts himself into a little two way debate here, but if you would have just said that from the beginning this thread wouldn't be on 7 pages yet.

I hate to be that guy who inserts himself into a little two way debate here, but if you would have just said that from the beginning this thread wouldn't be on 7 pages yet.

I never quantifed my statement to the last 2 years. For their careers, Jose Reyes has proven he can stay on the field more than Hardy can. This is a fact.

Thus Hardy is more of a risk than Reyes performance wise.

If he stays healthy, I think you could your blessings and trade him at the deadline before he gets hurt again. Then you go out and sign Reyes this offseason.

I never quantifed my statement to the last 2 years. For their careers, Jose Reyes has proven he can stay on the field more than Hardy can. This is a fact.

Thus Hardy is more of a risk than Reyes performance wise.

If he stays healthy, I think you could your blessings and trade him at the deadline before he gets hurt again.

So what, that's your fault. Nice try though.

This is what you said, and I noticed that you went back and used the fancy edit button, but the fact is you were shooting blind there and got called out on it, and as is your MO, you won't acknowledge that you were wrong.

Unlike Hardy, Reyes can stay on the field.

Getting back to Fielder, there is a way we can afford both him and Reyes next offseason as the Orioles do have a ton of money coming off the books after 2012 and 2013.

Yes and no...You lose some contracts like BRob and Reynolds but you also will have arb eligible guys up and down the roster and their raises will really jump up.

And you really have no idea what you are going to do with Nick at this point..Is his 2014 option picked up? Do the Orioles work out an additional extension with him? Does he just walk away? Who knows...But he is the face of the franchise and a fan favorite, so they could attempt to keep him here longer if his performance picks up.

What do they do with Jones? Wieters? the young starter?

Lots of things up in the air right now in terms of payroll.

If you are paying 40 million to Reyes and Fielder, it could really hinder what else they do.

If we had a different owner who was willing to put out 130+ million in payroll, that would be one thing...but we don't.

Basically you are saying would you rather have 2/3 of a season with Hardy if that and 1/3 of Andino or 6/7 of a season with Reyes?

I don't know what's worse. The fact that you said this or the fact that you said it once in this thread and then decided to start another thread and say it again.

Do you have the ability to argue with honesty and integrity?

I managed to avoid this thread for a solid week because I knew what was inside. But it kept hanging around, and curiosity killed the cat, so I clicked, to find exactly what I anticipated.

Reyes makes ZERO SENSE with Hardy around and Machado on his way up. What scares me about Fielder is that signing him is way riskier than a guy like Teixeira or Adrian Gonzalez. That is to say that I have so little confidence in our management that if we were to throw a truckload of money at a free agent, it would inevitably be the wrong one - Fielder.

I managed to avoid this thread for a solid week because I knew what was inside. But it kept hanging around, and curiosity killed the cat, so I clicked, to find exactly what I anticipated.

Reyes makes ZERO SENSE with Hardy around and Machado on his way up. What scares me about Fielder is that signing him is way riskier than a guy like Teixeira or Adrian Gonzalez. That is to say that I have so little confidence in our management that if we were to throw a truckload of money at a free agent, it would inevitably be the wrong one - Fielder.

Reyes would take over for Roberts at 2B when Machado comes up. Right now we have nobody to do that after 2013 (or sooner) and a pretty lousy FA crop.

As for Fielder, they had their chance to land another alternative. They chose to pass on everybody else. Fielder is the last premium bat at 1B in his prime left.

You have to get the talent when it is available.

Archived