Machado to Frederick on June 23

waroriole

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, Schoop's been holding his own in Frederick.

Because they think this is the double play combination of the future. Why not keep them together if they both deserve it? If they keep doing well my money is on them being the starting MINF in Bowie next season.

Why?

letters

Yeah, Schoop's been holding his own in Frederick.

I've said this before, but we've struggled to develop position prospects, and I think a big reason why is we promote them too aggressively. By contrast, look at Tampa Bay's approach. They're very slow to promote their players and they've also got a great track record. Obviously there are some other things at work here, but I just don't see the wisdom in being so aggressive with a couple of kids.

Schoop is "holding his own" in Frederick, but barely. His OPS is .729. Schoop, as a nineteen year old, had two very solid but not great months in Low A. That doesn't warrant a promotion in my eyes.

Machado, over the past ten games, has an OPS of .514. Why he is being promoted, especially as an eighteen year old, is totally beyond me.

I want to be clear that I don't think this is an unforgivable, egregious error on the part of the Orioles, but I don't think it's particularly smart, either.

I've said this before, but we've struggled to develop position prospects, and I think a big reason why is we promote them too aggressively. By contrast, look at Tampa Bay's approach. They're very slow to promote their players and they've also got a great track record. Obviously there are some other things at work here, but I just don't see the wisdom in being so aggressive with a couple of kids.

Schoop is "holding his own" in Frederick, but barely. His OPS is .729. Schoop, as a nineteen year old, had two very solid but not great months in Low A. That doesn't warrant a promotion in my eyes.

Machado, over the past ten games, has an OPS of .514. Why he is being promoted, especially as an eighteen year old, is totally beyond me.

I want to be clear that I don't think this is an unforgivable, egregious error on the part of the Orioles, but I don't think it's particularly smart, either.

As a fan you like to see the guys moved up and closer to the big show, but I can't say I disagree with anything said here. Hopefully both will play up to the level. I don't see either of them being overwhelmed, but you like to see the player prove that they can dominate a level first. I remember we used to do this routinely back in the early 2000's with players like Keith Reed, Luis Matos, Tim Raines Jr. Where are those guys now?

His OPS since returning is 552. Not sure why we are rushing this until he gets back to form.

Why does he have to be hot to move up?

Maybe he has hit into some bad luck? Maybe he still looks good but just isn't finding holes when he hits?

Before he got hurt, he showed he didn't belong at that level...That's enough.

Way too often people think a player has to be tearing it up at the exact moment of a promotion...That's just wrong.

Why does he have to be hot to move up?

Maybe he has hit into some bad luck? Maybe he still looks good but just isn't finding holes when he hits?

Before he got hurt, he showed he didn't belong at that level...That's enough.

Way too often people think a player has to be tearing it up at the exact moment of a promotion...That's just wrong.

I agree, I think this is a bi-prodcut of box score watching and not scouting. I expect that the guys making decisions have people at games and are getting pretty detailed analysis from their coaches about the players. As a fan all we can observe is a box score, so while it's more fun to comment on the data we have in front of us, it's not always the smartest.

I agree, I think this is a bi-prodcut of box score watching and not scouting. I expect that the guys making decisions have people at games and are getting pretty detailed analysis from their coaches about the players. As a fan all we can observe is a box score, so while it's more fun to comment on the data we have in front of us, it's not always the smartest.

I'd be more sympathetic to this viewpoint if it were just Schoop and Machado in a vacuum, but this has been an ongoing trend in the Orioles system for some time now. As I said earlier, I much prefer Tampa Bay's approach.

Kid's 18 and still playing his way back into shape after an injury and month long rehab. Despite that he's hit in 8 of the 9 games since his return. I have no problem moving him up to Frederick in a week. Just means he'll be a BA top 3 prospect in two different leagues at the end of the season!

A prospect doesn't need to be dominating a league in order to be promoted. As in any sport, you need to be challenged in order to get better. The bottom line is if the O's think Schoop and Machado can handle Frederick, then I don't see the problem with challenging guys. I don't think anyone honestly thinks Machado is going to be overmatched in High A.

I was just reading yesterday in BA's prospect 2011 book that one reason why Tampa Bay is so successful at developing batters is that they keep the players at each level for one year most of the times. Now you can certainly argue this approach and it is tough to proof something like this statistically but for me this is one reason why it seems that some Oriole players do not seem to have the fundamentals once they play in the Majors and seem rushed....

I'd be more sympathetic of this viewpoint if it were just Schoop and Machado in a vacuum, but this has been an ongoing trend in the Orioles system for some time now. As I said earlier, I much prefer Tampa Bay's approach.

I guess I'm not saying you're wrong, but there seems to be a lot of room for assumptions in your point. IMO the result of the argument is based more on outcome, than cause. If you were pointing to a specific Oriole player and showing me how his early promotion was the reason he was being held back, not his slow bat speed, poor mechanics, etc. It might be a bit more compelling than saying the Rays do it this way, so we should too. I'm not saying the Rays aren't doing it the right way, but I bet their reasons aren't just, we like to leave guys in one place for a long time. They are probably looking for specific outcomes which in all likelyhood are very different from what you're looking at and that could create the gap between the numbers you see and their promotions.

The crux of your argument seems to general for me to endorse, but isn't to the point where I'd admonish it as wrong. Just trying to fill in a little gray area.

I was just reading yesterday in BA's prospect 2011 book that one reason why Tampa Bay is so successful at developing batters is that they keep the players at each level for one year most of the times. Now you can certainly argue this approach and it is tough to proof something like this statistically but for me this is one reason why it seems that some Oriole players do not seem to have the fundamentals once they play in the Majors and seem rushed....

Did they give a reason? Or was this a causal link or was this simply measured through statistics? If its just statistics...you might have a correlation effect,. which is less meaningful and probably means Tampa is just better at drafting players. Tampa rushed Price and Longoria, neither of those players seemed to struggle, but had years they were promoted to three different levels. The argument they were both promoted three levels and are now all stars doesn't mean Tampa should promote guys 3 levels every year. That's what I'm trying to get at. They don't make every player play at every level all year before they promote them. It's clearly a case by case basis and they use a different result test than OPS, the only results available in most instances to fans.

Archived