Machado to Frederick on June 23

waroriole

Honestly, I just didn't get either promotion. What was the harm of allowing your 18-year old uber prospect and your top 19-year old positional prospect to have a good solid year in the SALLY League? If they were dominating the league and starting to get pitched around I could understand challenging them, but neither had gone through the league enough to see a lot of teams several times so there was no way to know how they would deal with adjustments. I'm not sure why John Stockstill is in such a hurry with these guys. Machado was dominating before his injury but never really got settled when he was rushed up to Frederick.

I don't think it's going to harm either guy longterm, but I just don't see why you don't allow them to get a full season of success under their belts before going aggressive. Both could of started at Frederick next year and could have been to Bowie by mid-season if they were doing well. Both would still be way ahead of the curve. I'm not sure what's to be gained by being so aggressive early on in their development.

Personally, I think there's value in getting your top prospects an early foundation of success.

As I look at the players that come through our farm system, something tells me that we will find the best ways to screw them up.

Like you, I don't see the harm in having Machado and Schoop in Frederick, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt to leave them in Delmarva for another month.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would at least give them a confidence boost. Now if either guy struggles it will be in their head the entire offseason. The feeling that a guy is closer to the big leagues because of the affiliate he is playing with is false security as well. Machado will move quickly because we paid him a ton, but he is good enough to earn his way up. What are we going to do, go from 5th to 4th next season? Personally I think 3 years is aggressive for an 18 year old. By the time most kids are a junior in college you are a shortstop on a ML team.

There is quite the list of players that were regulars on MLB rosters within the apparent timeline the O's have for Machado.

Maybe and they are still learning I am sure. Heyward comes to mind. I think guys need to mature and there is a nature progression there. Why rush Machado up to a bad team just to have service time start? There is also a long list of players who were rushed up and then sent back down.

honestly, i just didn't get either promotion. What was the harm of allowing your 18-year old uber prospect and your top 19-year old positional prospect to have a good solid year in the sally league? If they were dominating the league and starting to get pitched around i could understand challenging them, but neither had gone through the league enough to see a lot of teams several times so there was no way to know how they would deal with adjustments. I'm not sure why john stockstill is in such a hurry with these guys. Machado was dominating before his injury but never really got settled when he was rushed up to frederick.

I don't think it's going to harm either guy longterm, but i just don't see why you don't allow them to get a full season of success under their belts before going aggressive. Both could of started at frederick next year and could have been to bowie by mid-season if they were doing well. Both would still be way ahead of the curve. I'm not sure what's to be gained by being so aggressive early on in their development.

Personally, i think there's value in getting your top prospects an early foundation of success.

amen !!!!!

Machado: .501 OPS

Schoop: .542 OPS

Watching your major league team suck is bad enough, but when the prospects are struggling as well, it's doubly depressing.

Hey.... but Kipp Schutz has a .657 OPS and going up.......

Oh OK, never mind.

Machado: .501 OPS

Schoop: .542 OPS

Watching your major league team suck is bad enough, but when the prospects are struggling as well, it's doubly depressing.

Machado has an OPS of .780 for the season. I am not worried about Machado right now, if he is hitting .190 at Frederick this time next season then I will be a little worried.

On a side note - does anyone have an extra Manny Machado shorebirds bobblehead? I wasn't able to make it down to the game, and its a must-have for my collection.

Not sure if this is against board rules, but its the best place I know to look to get one. Feel free to take this down if its against rules.

I figured I at least wouldn't make a new thread.

There was a time this year when Hoes was repeating Frederick and doing awful. He got promoted in the middle of his awful slump to Bowie for some ungodly reason, but he kicked the slump and is batting well with Bowie.

Slumps happen, i think that both Schoop and Machado will be fine in Frederick.

Personally, I think there's value in getting your top prospects an early foundation of success.

It would at least give them a confidence boost. Now if either guy struggles it will be in their head the entire offseason.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with this, but some people strive in the face of adversity. Unless you know someone personally it's hard to say how he or she will react to struggles. In this case it's possible that a difficult year will push Machado to work even harder. It really just depends on the type of person he is.

With that said a .500 OPS is just about awful. You have to be careful that he doesn't get discouraged. I have to believe he'll improve that mark as the season wears on and that won't be an issue though.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with this, but some people strive in the face of adversity. Unless you know someone personally it's hard to say how he or she will react to struggles. In this case it's possible that a difficult year will push Machado to work even harder. It really just depends on the type of person he is.

With that said a .500 OPS is just about awful. You have to be careful that he doesn't get discouraged. I have to believe he'll improve that mark as the season wears on and that won't be an issue though.

I argue that putting a player where he faces challenges and adversity allows him-- nay, forces him-- to focus on making adjustments to survive. It can be a humbling experience for a player I'd imagine, especially a guy like Machado who made high school ball and Delmarva look simple. I bet now he's had to take a step back and say 'I can't let my natural ability sit on cruise control anymore, this is going to take me some time to figure out'.

1 for 1 with a 2b and 3 BBs. Definitely the kind of line we saw when Machado was doing well. Hopefully its the start of him returning to form.

From what I've heard, he wasn't getting good pitches to hit since the day he stepped into the Carolina League and tried to do a little too much with junk. Hopefully he's learning to be a little more selective and force pitchers to challenge him with strikes.

Archived