Why don't they sell the naming rights to OPACY?

McNulty

I never call it M&T, always "Ravens Stadium".

Me too.

As for OPACY, I would not have much issue if it was "Old Bay Field at Camden Yards" or something like that, but if it just becomes Old Bay Stadium I would not be too happy. but again, I'd still call it Camden Yards no matter what the actual name is. A perfect example is the WWF. Its still the WWF to me, regardless of the name change to WWE.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once, but not currently.

And I'm not counting Wrigley. That name has been around since the 20's. You could say it was named after the chewing gum company, or you can say it was named after the Cubs team owner. Depends on your take.

But good call on Great American Ballpark.

Regardless, 9 out of 30 stadiums having some character still to them is nice. I hate this revolving door malarkey of bland, corporate boringness like M&T Bank Stadium.

Isn't the Cards Stadium still Busch Field? I know its named after Anheiser Busch, but its still a damn cool name and not one of these stupid PNC Bank kinda names.

The classic baseball stadiums do not have a corporate sponsor. e.g., Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, Turner Field, Yankee Stadium, and Dodger Stadium (yes, I know Wrigley and Turner could be considered sponsors but they were named after their owners). I want OPACY to be grouped with them and looking down the road in 50 years, hopefully the stadium is still around, people will be happy its name always stayed Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Also, the majority of people in Chicago are furious that Comiskey Park became U.S. Cellular Field. The White Sox had a classic stadium name and messed it up. The Orioles should not make the same mistake.

Isn't the Cards Stadium still Busch Field? I know its named after Anheiser Busch, but its still a damn cool name and not one of these stupid PNC Bank kinda names.

Apparently the story is that in the 1950s Gussie Busch wanted to name the place Budweiser Field, but the league told him no, he couldn't name the park after beer. So he named it after himself, and a few months later started producing Busch Beer.

No way they should keep it Oriole Park, not name it after some stupid sponsor. It ruins the stadium.

You know what else ruins the stadium. Second rate baseball teams. I used to be dead set against sponsorship of the stadium. $150-$200mm payrolls within our division have changed my mind. Every little bit helps.

I somehow doubt a company as good at advertising and branding as Under Armour would want to tie themselves to a brand as bad as the Orioles.

I could be wrong but don't they already sponsor us in some way? I could swear I remember seeing an ad for Under Armour in the bullpen billboard thing.

I could be wrong but don't they already sponsor us in some way? I could swear I remember seeing an ad for Under Armour in the bullpen billboard thing.

I wouldn't doubt it, but my whole point is that they wouldn't want it on that scale.

They had no problem connecting themselves to Maryland football! :)

I was thinking the same. They were a smaller company then though, and Maryland football is a far, far better brand than the O's (especially then).

I wouldn't doubt it, but my whole point is that they wouldn't want it on that scale.

I was thinking the same. They were a smaller company then though, and Maryland football is a far, far better brand than the O's (especially then).

Maryland football is a better brand then a MLB team?

I somehow doubt a company as good at advertising and branding as Under Armour would want to tie themselves to a brand as bad as the Orioles.

The Orioles may still stink, but they don't have the STANK of a laughable bush league organization like they used to have. And if you truly think Under Armor wouldn't want any part of the local MAJOR LEAGUE baseball team, well then I guess we'll just disagree.

Archived