Why don't they sell the naming rights to OPACY?

McNulty

Once, but not currently.

Regardless, 9 out of 30 stadiums having some character still to them is nice. I hate this revolving door malarkey of bland, corporate boringness like M&T Bank Stadium.

So if if this post was written two months ago when the Oakland Coliseum didn't have a corporate name, it still had character? If a stadium has sold it's naming rights once, it is only a matter of waiting for the best deal before it happens again.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
National Bohemian Park at Camden Yards anyone?

Edit: Dang! Beaten to the punch!

Natty BO's Park at Camden Yards?

Natty Boh isn't even made in Baltimore anymore!

The stadium is fine the way it is, keep the fatcats and their corporations names out of the name of the stadium.

Natty Boh isn't even made in Baltimore anymore!

The stadium is fine the way it is, keep the fatcats and their corporations names out of the name of the stadium.

Who cares? It's still very much a part of Baltimore.

I wouldn't be against a name, but it has to be done right. I hate stadiums that are named cellphone companies or faceless IT "synergy" corporations (PSInet...anyone?) and change every 5 years anyway (PacBell?). Get a good, local sponsor, and sign them up for the long term, or don't do it at all. Part of what a baseball team sells (unlike an NFL team) is the allure of the ballpark, and a bad name DOES take away from the romance. Even when the Orioles stink (never!) I always love going to the yard. I would feel a tad less allure going to the yard brought to you by Barry Glazer.

No way they should keep it Oriole Park, not name it after some stupid sponsor. It ruins the stadium.

It'd totally ruin my experience there if it were named State Farm Park and not Oriole Park. I'd be sitting there in section 40 with a beer wondering how this stadium went to the crapper.

Also wasn't it something before M&T? I can't even remember...goes to show how much it matters.

PSInet stadium.

And exactly, no one cares about the name.

I personally think it would be awesome to the UA plastered everywhere...Of course, I think UA is great, so I am probably biased.

The Maryland Stadium Authority holds the "naming rights" not the O's. It's in the lease. After the Ravens moved into Baltimore and their lease allowed them to sell the naming rights to the new ravens Stadium, PA tried to get the Stadium Authority to give him the naming rights to OPACY. The Maryland Stadium Authority said "No dice."
Good info. I hope that means our stadium is safe from having its soul sold to shill for some corporation. I threw up in my mouth a little reading this thread.

So can we agree that Under Armour would be the best option IF they were to sell the naming rights?

I've been trying to think of different variants.

Under Armour Field

Under Armour Park at Camden Yards (My personal favorite.)

Under Armour Park

Under Armour Stadium

Any others?

So can we agree that Under Armour would be the best option IF they were to sell the naming rights?

I've been trying to think of different variants.

Under Armour Field

Under Armour Park at Camden Yards (My personal favorite.)

Under Armour Park

Under Armour Stadium

Any others?

Under Armour park at Camden Yards is a good one.

Under Armour stadium is fine with me too.

But, IMO, there is zero doubt that UA is the company to do this with. They are a very popular, worldwide company that is based in Baltimore...They make a lot of sense.

There is enough advertising in my life. I'd rather not have my baseball stadium named for a corporation. They can have sponsors for the flag court, the flight deck (already did that), and any other areas of the park they'd like, but I'd rather not see a corporate name on the front of the stadium or on the outside of the Warehouse.

Yes, from a practical perspective I can still just call it Camden Yards and ignore the corporate name but I am opposed to it on principle.

Archived