Why don't they sell the naming rights to OPACY?

McNulty

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No....no.....no! The money received won't make the Orioles a better team. It will go into the pocket of Peter Angelos.

OK....all opinions aside, we have no idea where the money will go.

For discussion's sake, let's say it goes into the team's payroll (for players, scouting, etc.). Would you want to sell the naming rights?

I agree with your statement but I really don't think it would be worth it in the long run. But to keep with the naming spirit of this thread, I'm came up with an idea to ponder.

"UnderArmour Field"

Thoughts?

I love it and that would be a great idea. Keep it to a Baltimore feel and an actual athletic brand name, not some bank or something like that.

I have always been in favor of selling the naming rights.

No matter what the stadium is called, I will always call it Camden Yards or Oriole Park. If the Orioles can sell the naming rights and get more revenue, I am all for it.

I love it and that would be a great idea. Keep it to a Baltimore feel and an actual athletic brand name, not some bank or something like that.

I have always been in favor of selling the naming rights.

No matter what the stadium is called, I will always call it Camden Yards or Oriole Park. If the Orioles can sell the naming rights and get more revenue, I am all for it.

Besides the old "tradition" card, there really is no reason not to.

RE: Saintbird. UnderArmour is a great idea and someone that I would love to contact as a local company that does have the resources to obtain the naming rights to a stadium.

The Maryland Stadium Authority holds the "naming rights" not the O's. It's in the lease. After the Ravens moved into Baltimore and their lease allowed them to sell the naming rights to the new ravens Stadium, PA tried to get the Stadium Authority to give him the naming rights to OPACY. The Maryland Stadium Authority said "No dice."

I remember we debated/voted on this last year sometime.

As long as they did [insert company name here, preferably a company with ties to Baltimore] Park at Camden Yards, I'd be fine with the change.

Natty BO's Park at Camden Yards?

I'd prefer it to not be a soulless, plastic, concrete jungle of a stadium like that of a M&T Stadium.

Run the team better, don't worry about nitpicking things like this.

Dodger Stadium

Yankee Stadium

Rangers Ballpark in Arlington

Oriole Park at Camden Yards

Angel Stadium of Anaheim

Great American Ball Park

Nationals Park

Wrigley Field

Kauffman Stadium

Fenway Park

...character.

I'd prefer it to not be a soulless, plastic, concrete jungle of a stadium like that of a M&T Stadium.

Run the team better, don't worry about nitpicking things like this.

Dodger Stadium

Yankee Stadium

Rangers Ballpark in Arlington

Oriole Park at Camden Yards

Angel Stadium of Anaheim

Great American Ball Park

Nationals Park

Wrigley Field

Kauffman Stadium

Fenway Park

...character.

May wanna omit Great American Ballpark...

Also, the Rangers and Angels stadiums both once had corporate names.

Once, but not currently.

And I'm not counting Wrigley. That name has been around since the 20's. You could say it was named after the chewing gum company, or you can say it was named after the Cubs team owner. Depends on your take.

But good call on Great American Ballpark.

Regardless, 9 out of 30 stadiums having some character still to them is nice. I hate this revolving door malarkey of bland, corporate boringness like M&T Bank Stadium.

Archived