Why don't they sell the naming rights to OPACY?

McNulty

Saintbird: Under Armour Park at Camden Yards (My personal favorite.)

We have a winner, folks.

If the money obtained from the name was spent directly for international scouting or player development, I'm pretty shocked how many people would still say "no" with the lack of Oriole presence at all in this area and how many fans criticize the team for it.

YEA! Whoohoo! I won something!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Camden Yards was publicly financed. Any revenue from naming it after some sleaze-bag corporation should go to the State of Maryland. Corporate names are a super idea if you don't notice commercial vulgarity when it's in your face. Watching a ton of TV commercials starting from an early age may innoculate a person so that vulgarity goes unnoticed and unappreciated.

After selling the naming rights to Camden Yards, the State might sell the naming rights to the Annapolis Capitol for some more bucks. How about the "Goldman-Sachs Capitol at Annapolis?"

If Under Armour wants nothing to do with MLB why do they sponsor half of the Orioles roster, have the only signs ever on the Wrigley Field walls and just complete a deal with MLB to become an official footwear provider?

No one said they want nothing to do with MLB.

YES. Mildly obscure > perinial losers when it comes to reputation. Plus, what we are talking about is not a comercial featuring a team member or even a logo on their jersey, but a nigh unbreakable tie between brand and sponsor.

You'd have to be a pretty extreme homer to think that Maryland football is a better brand than any MLB team or any pro team in any sport period. Especially when you can leverage that team's youth movement and past championships in a advertising campaign. Hell outside of the mid-atlantic, UA doesn't even leverage their ties to Maryland football anymore.

You'd have to be a pretty extreme homer to think that Maryland football is a better brand than any MLB team or any pro team in any sport period. Especially when you can leverage that team's youth movement and past championships in a advertising campaign. Hell outside of the mid-atlantic, UA doesn't even leverage their ties to Maryland football anymore.

But this is my point. The fact that UA can work locally with several teams would be ruined when they slap their name on one pro teams stadium. There's a reason that Nike has no problem connecting themselves to Oregon in a way they never would to the Mariners.

I'm also a little doubtful of how much they could leverage the O's "youth movement and past championships in a advertising campaign". First, UA has never expressed any interest in any sports history in their advertising. Wistful and sentimental is not their style. Second, they already "leverage" Wieters (and haven't exactly made him the poster child of the clothing line) and barely have any baseball players in their commercials at all.

YES. Mildly obscure > perinial losers when it comes to reputation. Plus, what we are talking about is not a comercial featuring a team member or even a logo on their jersey, but a nigh unbreakable tie between brand and sponsor.

Nobody cares about Maryland football.

At least the Orioles are a national, professional sports team, regardless of how bad they are. More people follow the Orioles than Terps football...and it isn't even particularly close.

That said...Maryland football sucks also.

Nobody cares about Maryland football.

At least the Orioles are a national, professional sports team, regardless of how bad they are. More people follow the Orioles than Terps football...and it isn't even particularly close.

That said...Maryland football sucks also.

No one was arguing against any point you made above.

First of all, the earlier point about the state/MSA owning the rights isn't true. The Orioles' lease gives them the rights to everything the Ravens get, and vice versa. So they received the naming rights essentially by default when the Ravens were given the rights to Ravens/PSINet/M&T Bank Stadium.

Second, let's think about this a minute. Imagine if State Farm (or Under Armor, or Legg Mason, or Coca Cola, or Constellation) offered you $2500 a year, and all you had to do was allow them to put their name in big letters on your house and make it your official address (i.e. BaltimoreTerp c/o State Farm, 123 Any Street, Baltimore...). That is anywhere from a lot of money to a HUGE amount of money depending on who you are. Would you allow them to do so? If not, how much would it take?

Archived