MATUSZ at AAA-Norfolk

OFFNY

Matusz averaged 89.9 in 2010 when he was pretty effective. Of course I prefer 91, but Matusz has shown he can be successful at 89. He was at 86.7 before being sent down, so he has gained back most if not all of his velocity. In his final start before being sent to Norfolk, he never topped 88.8. So averaging 89, hitting 91 is excellent progress.

The only thing about throwing sub 90 MPH that concerns me is the effectiveness, or lack thereof, of his changeup.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the pitching coach at Triple A has really been able to straighten out Matusz and get his velocity back and also work with Tillman and get his velocity up in his last few starts he needs to be here now working with them the rest of the year and into next year. The only way this team has any chance to be even decent in the next few years is if Britton, Matusz, Tillman, Arrietta are all average or better ML starting pitchers and if at least one of them is above average and one is a TOR starter. If they are most comfortable working with Mike Griffin he needs to be in Baltimore.

The only thing about throwing sub 90 MPH that concerns me is the effectiveness, or lack thereof, of his changeup.

Agreed, but there's a big difference between 86 and 89 when it comes to the differential with the change-up.

Matusz averaged 89.9 in 2010 when he was pretty effective. Of course I prefer 91, but Matusz has shown he can be successful at 89. He was at 86.7 before being sent down, so he has gained back most if not all of his velocity. In his final start before being sent to Norfolk, he never topped 88.8. So averaging 89, hitting 91 is excellent progress.

Good point. Must spread rep.

If the pitching coach at Triple A has really been able to straighten out Matusz and get his velocity back and also work with Tillman and get his velocity up in his last few starts he needs to be here now working with them the rest of the year and into next year. The only way this team has any chance to be even decent in the next few years is if Britton, Matusz, Tillman, Arrietta are all average or better ML starting pitchers and if at least one of them is above average and one is a TOR starter. If they are most comfortable working with Mike Griffin he needs to be in Baltimore.

Yeah Griffin is making a pretty strong case to be with the big boys next year if Tillman/Matusz can come up here and sustain their success.

Agreed, but there's a big difference between 86 and 89 when it comes to the differential with the change-up.

Certainly agree. I am encouraged by the progress hes made at AAA. If he can stay around 89 MPH or so, I think he'll be fine.

Leave him with Griffin for another month and maybe he'll be back at 92-94! ;)

I am intrigued by Griffin. On one hand, the results really don't lie. The man gets his pitchers back to what they do best. On the other hand, a part of me feels like just being in AAA takes a lot of pressure off these kids and they just go and do their thing. I'm also on the fence about bringing Griffin up to the ML level. I mean, developmentally, it may hurt this organization to not have him down on the farm, grooming these young arms. Quite the quandary in my eyes.

It also effects his movement.

When he was throwing 86 or so, the ball seemed to move, but hitters have such a long time to pick up the spin and it just seemed like they were tee'ing off on him. I agree, he's at his best when he's throwing low 90's, but the slight difference he was featuring in the change and the fastball wasn't fooling anyone, and it was batting practice.

On the other hand, a part of me feels like just being in AAA takes a lot of pressure off these kids and they just go and do their thing.

You may have a point.

“Absolutely, I’ve made tremendous progress,” he said. “Especially in the last couple weeks, to get that groove and consistency back, to be able to throw all four pitches for strikes. I’ve been keeping hitters off balance and just have confidence being myself. Being confident to let it fly and have fun, and it’s been a good feeling.”

http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/2011/08/11/matusz-speaks/

I am intrigued by Griffin. On one hand, the results really don't lie. The man gets his pitchers back to what they do best. On the other hand, a part of me feels like just being in AAA takes a lot of pressure off these kids and they just go and do their thing. I'm also on the fence about bringing Griffin up to the ML level. I mean, developmentally, it may hurt this organization to not have him down on the farm, grooming these young arms. Quite the quandary in my eyes.

That is very interesting, particularly with Matusz, because he was the one guy that came straight to the Orioles from AA-Bowie. This is his first bonafide stint at AAA-Norfolk (outside of a one-game rehab start earlier this season). It's water under the bridge now, but in hindsight, he may have benefited from some time there in 2009 before coming up to Baltimore. Maybe he's getting his "missed AAA experience" now. :D

That is very interesting, particularly with Matusz, because he was the one guy that came straight to the Orioles from AA-Bowie. This is his first bonafide stint at AAA-Norfolk (outside of a one-game rehab start earlier this season). It's water under the bridge now, but in hindsight, he may have benefited from some time there in 2009 before coming up to Baltimore. Maybe he's getting his "missed AAA experience" now. :D

I agree with pitchers working their way through the system. Getting their work in at all levels. Matusz was hyped to much to start. He was good but he needed more innings at AAA. Going forward I feel he will be fine as long as he keeps pitching. There is a case for Griffin to be in Baltimore next season.

I don't see it this way. Matusz was very solid in 2009 when he was called up, and in 2010. He just wasn't ready at the start of this season, for whatever reason -- poor conditioning over the winter, his injury, changes made by the coaches, etc. He didn't need AAA experience to succeed, he just needed the chance, this year, to get himself back in rhythm without focusing on short-term results.

Archived