MATUSZ at AAA-Norfolk

OFFNY

Not a good first night. Let's see if he improves in his next few outings.

MATUSZ AAA-NORFOLK

IP: 5.67

R: 4

H: 7

BB: 2

SO: 3

Pitches: 87 (51 Strikes, 36 Balls)

NOTE: Matusz gave up 2 home runs.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MATUSZ AAA-NORFOLK

None of these numbers look encouraging. He better turn it around soon or the O's are really going to be in trouble going forward. What the hell is wrong with his arm?

Any word on his velocity?

"Watched in person - threw puss all night. Threw between 84-86 mph all night and the only time he hit 91moh was his last pitch of the night, which landed 400 feet away. Time to shut him down until he's healthy, no matter what he says to the contrary."

One of the comments on the sun website. I am not quite ready to give up by Matusz seems more and more like a bust and a waste. To me this really hits hard. I had very high hopes for him.

"Watched in person - threw puss all night. Threw between 84-86 mph all night and the only time he hit 91moh was his last pitch of the night, which landed 400 feet away. Time to shut him down until he's healthy, no matter what he says to the contrary."

One of the comments on the sun website. I am not quite ready to give up by Matusz seems more and more like a bust and a waste. To me this really hits hard. I had very high hopes for him.

Almost rings of Adam Lowen part II...I just don't get it, hopefully he is just out of shape and not seriously hurt.

As I stated in another thread - Yanks had same issue with Phil Hughes. What they did was a bunch of tests, including circulatory, and finally found out that Hughes was suffering from shoulder inflammation that he did not realize. Ultimately Hughes rehabbed in FL until he got back to his low 90s fastball and now is about to come back to Yanks as starting pitching. Why aren't the O's apparently doing same level of testing for Matusz? Throwing him right into AAA does not solve his velocity issue.

Matt Riley, Adam Loewen, Daniel Cabrera, Chris Tillman, Brian Matusz....the list continues. Guys who look like world beaters coming up through the system then lose their stuff or command (or both) after reaching the majors. Then they get demoted back to the minors and are a shell of their former self.. The poor luck is mind boggling. Who will the next one be?

Matt Riley, Adam Loewen, Daniel Cabrera, Chris Tillman, Brian Matusz....the list continues. Guys who look like world beaters coming up through the system then lose their stuff or command (or both) after reaching the majors. Then they get demoted back to the minors and are a shell of their former self.. The poor luck is mind boggling. Who will the next one be?

Way too late to write off Matusz. He:

1. Missed 2 months of the season

2. Had a blister

3. Hurt his leg

Basically I don't think it's fair to bust the guy because he hasn't had a chance to consistently progress this year.

He'll go down to AAA, talk to Mike Griffin, and get some strength/kinks worked out.

I'm not entirely worried about his velocity, yet. He was incredibly successful last year.

Way too late to write off Matusz.

He:

1. Missed 2 months of the season

2. Had a blister

3. Hurt his leg

Basically I don't think it's fair to bust the guy because he hasn't had a chance to consistently progress this year.

He'll go down to AAA, talk to Mike Griffin, and get some strength/kinks worked out.

I'm not entirely worried about his velocity, yet. He was incredibly successful last year.

I think you mean "way too early" to write off Matusz. :)

MATUSZ AAA-NORFOLK

Can you just save the crazy fonts and colors for arts and crafts class and just post the guys line?

I would be lying if the drop in velocity was not concerning, but it's far too early to call him a bust. Something is clearly wrong though. No one loses that much velocity at his age unless there is something wrong. If I'm the Orioles, I'm shutting him down and running every test imaginable. From what I heard, his velocity was not very good this spring even before the injury.

Archived