Should the Orioles sign Hardy to a 3 year contract extension?

Sports Guy

Do you think the Orioles should extend Hardy for 3 years?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Orioles should extend Hardy for 3 years?

• Yes, I think it is a very good deal to get one of the better SS locked up
    • No, I think it is better for the organization to trade him while his value is high

Well, it is obvious. Only teams in contention would add Hardy at this point. Only a few teams have a need at shortstop and then -- perhaps the other key is -- they have to decide that this is the hole they want to fill.

You keep saying trade trade trade...but whom too? Just working off the AL -- Texas, Angels, Clev, Detroit, WSox and Yankees don't have the need. The Rays are extremely unlikely. Is shortstop really the position of need for the Red Sox.

In the NL, perhaps you are talking about Atl, Cincy and the Giants?

How many players bring back 2 quality prospects in a deadline deal? And by "quality" I'm not talking bullpen arm.

So that's 4 teams to work with -- and again -- every one of those teams could choose (and seem to be choosing) to fill their needs in other ways.

I'm not saying "don't trade." If you can get the bonanza you think is out there, then swell - I hope AM does it. But I feel confident that AM -- and any GM -- would have had a chat with his buddies Walt, Theo, Brian, and Frank and gotten a sense at least in vague terms their level of interest. And if the offers aren't so big -- then we are really choosing extend or take the picks. In our case...I'd extend if it is a 3 year, market rate deal.

The Orioles are working to extend JJ Hardy and the league seems to know it, so who would be calling and would the Orioles be interested if they did? The fact of the matter is that both GM's can call one another. I am not saying that we are going to land 4 top notch prospects, but when you can get a prospect who has tremendous upside is cheap and controlled then you have to at least consider the deal.

Let's say the Red started were willing to offer Alonso and another B level prospect for Hardy do you make the deal? Alonso is a B+ type talent, so he is likely considered a very good talent. I noticed that the Reds were looking for relief pitching, If I am Andy MacPhail I am offering Hardy, Uehara and a low level player to the Reds for Alonso and Billy Hamilton.

Not only do the Orioles get a LF/1B who can hit, but they get a potential replacement for Roberts or a very nice backup. They also save the cost of Hardy's contract in terms of both years and dollars. Do this things 2-3 times and you get both younger and inexpensive.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived